Dish America

benzee1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Cedar Vale, KS
What a rip off! Only $5.00 cheaper (intro price) and 1/2 the channels. I just looked it up because a customer of mine yesterday got the America pack and asked me which channels she gets. I pull out the channel list out of the kit and guess what??? NO AMERICA PACK LISTED!! Did I feel stupid. I had no way of telling her what channels she had. I put her guide to all sub and told her if it's not there, she don't get it.

Thats Dish Networks Marketing Ploy, to get you to spend more money on a Higher base pack.
Barely advertised, and not a bargin!

Just so they can print ads claiming 5 packages under $50.

$35 vs $45/month is $10 cheaper. It has all the HD channels available in the top 120 package, plus Discovery HD theater and Palladia, only available in the Platinum pack. How often do you watch SD channels anymore? There are only a few mainstream SD-only channels in the top 120, most are shop at home and public interest.

To me it looks like a good deal. Loose 3-6 SD channels, gain 2 HD channels and save $10/month.

Brad

Edit: I reread it and see you are talking about the into price @ $5 savings, still I don't think it is a bad deal.

$35 vs $45/month is $10 cheaper. It has all the HD channels available in the top 120 package, plus Discovery HD theater and Palladia, only available in the Platinum pack. How often do you watch SD channels anymore? There are only a few mainstream SD-only channels in the top 120, most are shop at home and public interest.

To me it looks like a good deal. Loose 3-6 SD channels, gain 2 HD channels and save $10/month.

Brad

Edit: I reread it and see you are talking about the into price @ $5 savings, still I don't think it is a bad deal.

You don't get ALL the HD channels from the top 120.... you lose the Viacom channels. For some, that's a deal breaker right there.

So lets see here. From the off the cuff complaints, we find the package is cheaper, has just a few less HD channels, but gains a couple that are not available in the higher pack, and loses the SD which for many is no loss. And, I found it no problem on the Dish site, just as the poster above did.

What exactly is the complaint? Complaining to have something to do?

You don't get ALL the HD channels from the top 120.... you lose the Viacom channels. For some, that's a deal breaker right there.

OK, you do loose some. I took a minute and here is what you gain and loose (in HD):

Gain:
Palladia
HD Theater

Loose:
E!
Fox news
FX
MTV
HLN
Nick E
VH1

None of those bother me. I would trade Palladia for MTV/VH1 any day, actual music as opposed to crap like "Jersey Shore". FX maybe a bit, but I can't remember the last time I watched it.

To me it's a fair trade, some may not like it, others may prefer it. But still I think it is a good if not very good entry level package.

There's a good chance this has been answered before...
But, I was poking around on the Dish site and I couldn't tell if I was to drop down to Dish America would Free HD for Life follow, or would I have to pony up the extra $ to keep HD programming.

There's a good chance this has been answered before...
But, I was poking around on the Dish site and I couldn't tell if I was to drop down to Dish America would Free HD for Life follow, or would I have to pony up the extra $ to keep HD programming.
Dish America is an all HD package so there is not any add on HD package for this. Your account would keep the tag but you would not a discount on any of the America packages. If you choose to go back to a an Americas Top package that Hd add on package would again be free for life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)