Dish and 1080i upscaling on 4K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is a difference that can be seen when watching 1080 content on 4k Sony and Samsung over most other 4k TVs. Also going to a larger screen size over what you had will show more shortcomings.

Sent from my KFDOWI using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Stormy_2021
I really wish people would stop pointing a finger at Dish's "compression" every time someone complains about their picture. That's hogwash. I have dish and when I can read the lettering on a golfball on a Sunday afternoon on my 56" Vizio believe me Dish's compression is not an issue and never has been. With any of these modern 4K TV's if you have a bad picture it's one of two things; a bad TV or incorrect settings. Did my Vizio have a great picture right out of the box? Uh, no, I had to spend some time tweaking the settings to achieve the best image and Dish's compression had/has nothing to do with it.

Relax, it looks really good on my tv with only minor adjustments.
It looks good to you. That's what matters. However, it doesn't look like the picture is supposed to look. Vivid is going to be the furthest from what it should be than any other mode (very over-saturated colors).

Reactions: KAB
I have a 55” Hisense 4K and drive it from my 4K Joey (connected to a HWS) and have been satisfied with picture quality. It streams l4K (Amazon etc) and I can tell the difference, but I wouldn’t call it bad.
Going from 51” plasma to 65” LCD would be noticable, but again not unwatchable.
I would make sure input shows 1080 (or 4K) , and the Hopper’s output is set for 1080 / 4K. Also, check your HDMI cable, perhaps it has damage.
If you can stream through the TV, see how 4K looks natively.
My bedroom tv is a top of the line Samsung 1080 and its 1080 pic is not much better than my 4K hisense at 1080.

Reactions: joewhite57
I disagree 100 percent. The difference between an OTA local and dish local is very obvious to me. Major additional compression. It may look ok on static images but motion causes lots of problems. Static black backgrounds on TV shows are also a mess.

In the end everyone sees things differently and values different aspects of picture quality.
I really wish people would stop pointing a finger at Dish's "compression" every time someone complains about their picture. That's hogwash. I have dish and when I can read the lettering on a golfball on a Sunday afternoon on my 56" Vizio believe me Dish's compression is not an issue and never has been. With any of these modern 4K TV's if you have a bad picture it's one of two things; a bad TV or incorrect settings. Did my Vizio have a great picture right out of the box? Uh, no, I had to spend some time tweaking the settings to achieve the best image and Dish's compression had/has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I disagree 100 percent. The difference between an OTA local and dish local is very obvious to me. Major additional compression. It may look ok on static images but motion causes lots of problems. Static black backgrounds on TV shows are also a mess.

In the end everyone sees things differently and values different aspects of picture quality.

Thank you. This is what I believe too. Especially since I used the split screen feature to compare the ota version of ABC against the satellite version of ABC while watching Agents of Shield a few months ago. The sat version had noise in the backgrounds and looked worse to me during dark scenes. This show has a lot of dark scenes so it was easy to duplicate the poor picture quality. The ota version looked clear and no noticeable pixelation or noise in the picture.

If you can read the lettering on a golf ball, that's a fairly static shot. It would take a LOT of compression to lose the quality. However, look at a detailed frame with a lot of motion. Even a moderate amount of compression will mess up the picture.

I still contend that not all OTA channels are created equal, and can have varying amounts of compression as well, AND OTA channels use the less efficient MPEG2 compression instead of MPEG4, which means lower bandwidth has more of a deleterious effect on picture quality with MPG2 vs. MP4.

I have a few bitstarved OTA channels in my market that actually look better on Dish because of this.

Reactions: DWS44 and MikeD-C05
Also, your DISH locals will probably look better if you don't have a boatload of locals on your spot beam. We only have 8 total DISH delivered locals and they look pretty good.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Compared to high-bandwidth OTA, sure Dish PQ is inferior. Compared to Over-stuffed sub-channel OTA, DirecTV, or my local cable company (Spectrum), Dish looks just as good.

It's going to be a rare situation where the Dish signal of an OTA signal is going to look better than the OTA signal itself.

While true, that doesn't mean it cannot look as good. Take, for instance WUNC where I live. Aside from judder (or whatever we're calling the jerkiness on Dish/DirecTV channels sometimes display), I cannot tell the difference. Now WUNC doesn't look that good to begin with, probably because of a bunch of sub-channels, but the Dish LIL WUNC looks about the same.

Reactions: Tampa8
I went from a 50" Changhong 1080P to a 55" 4K CTL and the new CTL has a noticeably better picture.
Of course I have never had a Plasma screen and I am probably half blind, but for $369 I am more than happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)