DISH and DSL/Phone Help

Chloe08

Original poster
May 8, 2009
Midwest
Hello! I am new here and new to DISH network.

Here's my problem. I live in an old house that only has one working phone jack. I also do not have a telephone line, just DSL internet. When the DISH network guy installed our satellite box, he told me I could plug the receiver into the DSL and that would keep them from charging me the $5/mo fee for not being plugged into a phone line.

Well, the phone jack (with DSL) was not close enough to the receiver to reach, so I purchased a set of wireless phone/DSL jacks. They both appear to be working correctly, yet my satellite receiver still will not recognize that it is plugged into a phone line.

I have literally spent the last three hours searching for an answer to this problem online, with no avail. Can anyone here help? I just want to get my reciever plugged up and working. Thanks in advance!

If you just have the one receiver you won't be charged the $5.00 fee. You only get charged the fee for additional dual receivers, the first one doesn't have to be connected.

If you just have the one receiver you won't be charged the $5.00 fee. You only get charged the fee for additional dual receivers, the first one doesn't have to be connected.

Never heard that one before. Not saying it isn't true but I thought you need it to be connected no matter 1 or 4 boxes.

Ok, so if I hook the wireless phone jack up to the DSL then it should work?

And we do have the dual receiver... so whether or not that is true about the first one being plugged in, it won't affect me.

If you don't have analog phone service, plugging your receiver into your phone jack, wirelessly or not, isn't going to work. You need to install an ethernet router between your computer and your DSL modem (or your modem may be a router also, in which case you just need a hub or switch) and connect your receiver via ethernet.

And if you only have one receiver, as of a few months ago you supposedly don't need to have it connected even if it's a dual. I haven't tried it though.

If you don't have analog phone service, plugging your receiver into your phone jack, wirelessly or not, isn't going to work. You need to install an ethernet router between your computer and your DSL modem (or your modem may be a router also, in which case you just need a hub or switch) and connect your receiver via ethernet.

And if you only have one receiver, as of a few months ago you supposedly don't need to have it connected even if it's a dual. I haven't tried it though.

Ok, that would explain my problem then, haha. We do have an ethernet modem and wireless router/hub. So I need to connect my receiver through that instead of the phone jacks?

We do have an ethernet modem and wireless router/hub. So I need to connect my receiver through that instead of the phone jacks?
Yes, assuming you have a VIP series HD receiver. If you have one of the earlier DVRs, in general there is no Ethernet jack to plug into a network router.

Yes, assuming you have a VIP series HD receiver. If you have one of the earlier DVRs, in general there is no Ethernet jack to plug into a network router.

Ok, I'll have to check on that. We just got it not even a month ago, so hopefully its a newer model.

Thanks so much for all your help! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts