Dish and ESPN

Not only that, he's a Direct subscriber. He's the biggest Dish troll on the boards. And allowed to do it.

I thought he was going in to self-imposed exile, but that didn't last long......1 day I think.
Trolling? Nobody is allowed to troll. I am allowed to post because it is not trolling. I am discussing the topic with 100% true honesty. Do you want to discuss the topic or myself? If you want to discuss me you can click that little message link and send me a PM (If you want to know where it is I can help you out). If you want to discuss the topic, I will be glad to respond in this thread.

You guys are so easily offended when someone says anything negative about Dish. Get over it and criticize the comments, not the poster

To the topic at hand: Do you think if Dish were to drop ESPN, it would hurt them?
Allowed to? Maybe you should send the Dish police over to arrest him.
The thing is they think that anyone that is not a Dish sub and post in the Dish forums is automatically a troll. The ironic thing is they are the ones that end up posting off topic personal attacks.

Last edited:
The thing is they think that anyone that is not a Dish sub and post in the Dish forums is automatically a troll. The ironic thing is they are the ones that end up posting off topic personal attacks.

This is not a new thing with you, you post more in the Dish forum than the Direct forum. No personal attack, just posting facts.

No pity parties, please....

He's no troll, just droll.
Thank you. I try to be. I get voted lounge clown or funniest at work each year :p;)
This is not a new thing with you, you post more in the Dish forum than the Direct forum. No personal attack, just posting facts.

No pity parties, please....
I do post more in the Dish forums at times. Depends on the topic. If you look at the number of posts in this thread alone you will see why. Half of them are me responding to post directed at me. :) That is not the definition of trolling.

Most of the time I post it is because it happens to be topics I am interested in or I want to help people out (like in the MLB Network thread).

BTW, I am not asking for pity, nor do I want it or seek it. I just ask for clarity, respect, and understanding of everyone and from everyone.

Last edited:
OK, maybe I used the definition of "trolling" loosely. Maybe I can show a picture of what you do.......

:boink:

Maybe you would prefer the term provocateur? It sounds a little more classy.
That is not my intention at all. To be honest, from my perspective I am the blue man and you guys are the yellow guy with the stick. Seriously, this off topic discussion is dragging on simply because none of you addressed my posts at all and only made posts directed at the fact that I simply posted on this thread. Every post has been directed at me, not at my comments.

I do appreciate your honesty about how my post may come across. I am being honest myself when I say that is not my intention.

As per usual, very few. They read the post subject, and jump to conclusions. Sadly typical of the under 30's crowd...since most won't/can't read anything longer than an abbreviated text message anymore.

Actually, I wasn't replying to the actual article in my post (#91). I actually quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote post #70, where Scott asked "If DISH dropped ESPN, I wonder how many people would move to DISH from other Providers." I answered what I would do, simple as that.

I think you, KAB and watchel1 jumped to conclusions about me, since you posted right after me.

I read the entire article, and by the way I'm 56.

You almost have to give Dish credit for standing up to the networks. I know Charlie is no angel, but someone has to do something, or we will be paying $200 per month for an average monthly bill.

I don't buy that there is always a direct correlation between what television companies pay to carry channels and the fee that the end consumer pays for a television package. For one thing, Dish is making about a billion dollars a year in profit -- if the rate we consumers pay were directly tied to what the company pays for the stations, our rates would be lower right now, no channel cuts required. Seems like they just charge whatever they can get away with (Basic economics- companies tend to set prices at whatever point the market bares, not whatever their costs are plus a little profit). So, why should I take their side in their battle with ABC/Disney/ESPN? They could easily keep carrying all the channels at whatever rates are demanded with hundreds of millions of dollars in profit margin to spare. ESPN is a channel I expect them to figure out how to carry if they want my money.

If they really got into it with ABC/Disney, and dropped all of those channels, you'd expect them to half everyone's bill if they are just charging based on expenses. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't actually cut people's bills that much. They might give a $5 a month credit for 6 months to people who call in and complain. Maybe because the circumstances are so exceptional, they'd carve $5 off the bill for everyone. But you wouldn't see a dramatic cut, I'd imagine. Why do I say that? Because there never are. Some people in markets like New York lost pretty core programming (Like basically all their local sports), and didn't see their bills cut on a permanent basis.

Does Dish pay ESPN per sub or does Dish pay a certain price for the transmission rights, which is then divided by the number of subs? I don't think anyone outside of Dish or ESPN really know what the costs are. Although I am a long time sub, in my opinion Dish shot themselves in the foot with the dual tuner/dvr increases. I won't change providers over a loss of ESPN though. Push come to shove, they all can go dark. (lol) I have a really nice OTA setup that is real cheap, plus I get more local channels OTA. No matter if you have a cable provider or one of the two satellite providers, it all boils down to what you are happy with and willing to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the sports that are provided by ESPN, but life will go on without them.

If ESPN were to leave DISH, I'd have to bolt for DIRECTV because I need my baseball highlights and the occasional MNF game and I know DISH isn't going to add MLB Network to AT120 for me to keep my MLB highlights.

If ESPN stays on DISH and is in a sportspack, I would stay if Family Pack is made a qualifying package to add sportspack as Family Pack would be the only package I care for if ESPN is gone from the basic tiers since the other non-ESPN channels I watch are also in Family Pack.

Does Dish pay ESPN per sub or does Dish pay a certain price for the transmission rights,

I would imagine per sub. All the quote sheets you see for adding pay tv services to a business pay-tv package (or apartment pay-tv package) are all quoted in price per subscriber or price per capacity.

Frank Jr. said:
Does Dish pay ESPN per sub or does Dish pay a certain price for the transmission rights, which is then divided by the number of subs? I don't think anyone outside of Dish or ESPN really know what the costs are. Although I am a long time sub, in my opinion Dish shot themselves in the foot with the dual tuner/dvr increases. I won't change providers over a loss of ESPN though. Push come to shove, they all can go dark. (lol) I have a really nice OTA setup that is real cheap, plus I get more local channels OTA. No matter if you have a cable provider or one of the two satellite providers, it all boils down to what you are happy with and willing to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I like watching sports that are provided by ESPN, but life will go on without them.

Unfortunately most sports are now shown on cable networks, including locally. OTA does not provide enough coverage. They least expensive way to watch your local team is still through payed TV

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Actually, I wasn't replying to the actual article in my post (#91). I actually quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote post #70, where Scott asked "If DISH dropped ESPN, I wonder how many people would move to DISH from other Providers." I answered what I would do, simple as that.

I think you, KAB and watchel1 jumped to conclusions about me, since you posted right after me.

I read the entire article, and by the way I'm 56.

My reply wasn't directly to you but all. I keep tell you guys that you should read the article and not just reply to the post on the forum. It was saying that D* was not happy either.

Last edited:
I would imagine per sub. All the quote sheets you see for adding pay tv services to a business pay-tv package (or apartment pay-tv package) are all quoted in price per subscriber or price per capacity.

How does the so called bean counters keep up with the churn? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts