Dish and Google Tv

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
Im thinking about picking one of these up through dish.

Strange they(dish) says it wont integrate with my 922.
It will work but you cant pull up my dish dvr programs.

It will however integrate with my 722.
722 is in my living room. Not where I want to use the Google unit.

Anyone buy one of these yet and use it with one of our Dish VIP units??
I think they said only works with 722 series.

It only 'integrates' with the 722/722k. I'm a new Dish subscriber and just had a 722k, Google TV, and Sling Adapter installed. I haven't physically touched a 922, but I think this is a great setup. Having Netflix available on the same box basically as my DVR is a game changer (well, almost, since the Google TV Search doesn't search Netflix yet). The only two things you get with integration is the ability to list your DVR recordings and start them from the Google TV Menu and also the ability to schedule recordings from the Google TV search. IMO it's worth it, but I can see a lot of people not wanting to pay the $4 integration fee or wanting to use their 922. If you can get a hands on demo at Best Buy or somewhere like that, I'd suggest that before you put down the cash.

You can set up the google box to work with your 922 and it will control it just like your remote control. You set it up as a 722k receiver and it works. You won't be integrated, but you only lose the search features from your dvr and dish pay per views. Also won't be able to use the skip feature on the keyboard, like it is when you have it integrated. You can only fast forward from the key board. But the integration feature isn't worth the extra $4.00 a month if you ask me, or Scott G. for that matter.

Also won't be able to use the skip feature on the keyboard, like it is when you have it integrated. You can only fast forward from the key board.

Huh? I'm not integrated, obviously. And I can skip forward/back and FF/REW with the keyboard. You have to hold down the "FN" key to do one of those sets of functions, but I just used the options menu to switch things around to that Skip forward/back don't need to have the "FN" key pressed cause that's the way I like it.

That said. I would really hold off on the GoogleTV until it's been updated at least one or two more times. Rumor is that there's an update coming that will speed up the device. Probably one that updates the core OS to Android 2.2 since right now it's using 2.1 That alone gives most Android devices a shot in the arm. It's not sluggish for me, but there are some people that complain about performence running at 1080p. Then dispite rumors to the contrary around CES time. The Android Market is still in the works for this year. There's two sessions at Google I/O in May, one on how to optimize web apps and another for native apps for GoogleTV. The Logitech Revue is great, but it just doesn't do enough yet. The Marketplace will fix that.

Even Google says that the current Google TV product isn't really quite ready for prime-time ( I believe even CNET said this). Google even decided to and asked other vendors NOT to demo it at this last CES because Google feels the forthcoming Google TV product is the one that will be what they had envisioned. So, I would wait for the next Google TV product. I am.

Even Google says that the current Google TV product isn't really quite ready for prime-time ( I believe even CNET said this). Google even decided to and asked other vendors NOT to demo it at this last CES because Google feels the forthcoming Google TV product is the one that will be what they had envisioned. So, I would wait for the next Google TV product. I am.

Google has said that rumor was not true. There were Google TV products on the floor at CES. They do plan some updates, but it's not going to be a total redo like some sites (Engadget) think.

I'm paying the $4. The thing I like about the $4 integration (w/my vip622), is that my Queue integrates my DVR recordings, my Podcasts, my websites, AND my EHD recordings. It is much easier to get to my EHD recordings via the Google TV Queue, than it has even been via accessing them the regular way. For some reason, my EHD recordings start/stop instantly via the GTV Queue, as opposed to the normal EHD accessing delay. Not sure $4 is totally worth it, but I'm keeping it for now.

I have a 722k with Sling, so I pay the $4 fee since a 922 would be the same price, but to me, I'm getting more functionality. Interesting to hear about the EHD functionality. That'd be worth it, though I'm a new customer and haven't gotten to the point of having that much recorded

[FONT=&quot]It looks like you all got this answered but here is a little more info. Logitech says on their site the Revue can be used with the VIP 922. http://revue.logitech.com/support/answers?a_id=19775&source=search&strText=19775&sub_cat=Reference If you notice on that page there are * by some of the receivers. Logitech for some reason does not explain the * but they are the receivers that provide DVR integration with Google TV. I hope we add that to the VIP 922 but at this time it is not.[/FONT]

Signal Loss and Insomnia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)