DISH Anywhere buffering?

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
This app is terrible! Went out and bought a couple of the Fire sticks just so I could see DISH DVR’d shows while at the beach. Even though we have almost 100/10 all it does is stutter and buffer stutter and buffer stutter and buffer. Totally a wasted service. If you can’t do it right why do it at all. Thanks DISH.

What Internet service are you using at the beach? I've watched DA programming for hours at a time with minimal or no buffering when both ends had good service.
Have HTC in Myrtle Beach. Did a speed test on the 5ghz band and am pulling a high of 96/10. Internet is not the problem

This app is terrible! Went out and bought a couple of the Fire sticks just so I could see DISH DVR’d shows while at the beach. Even though we have almost 100/10 all it does is stutter and buffer stutter and buffer stutter and buffer. Totally a wasted service. If you can’t do it right why do it at all. Thanks DISH.
How do you watch the Dish DVR'd shows on the Fire sticks? I just got a Fire stick the other day.

OK, now we know what the download speed is at the beach. Now, what is the upload speed where the DISH receiver is.
70/6mbps. Was able to watch tv last night but DVR content is still watchable with all the buffering.

70/6mbps. Was able to watch tv last night but DVR content is still watchable with all the buffering.
That upload speed is anemic, no wonder you get buffering. Do you have any other ISP options? I would not go with anyone who did not provide at least a 20-30 mbps upload. With Fiber service i get 200/200,

Last edited:
Yep, I would agree, 6mbps up is kind of low. To be clear, I have 6 up as well and I was able to use DishAnywhere off of my Hopper 3 in Germany just fine a few years back. The difference now can be that many more people are streaming at all hours and that 6 up can be reduced significantly.

Reactions: TheKrell
I found some buffering watching a dvr recording when I used the app on my Amazon Fire tv today. I just pressed pause in the middle of the buffering forcefully and then hit play again and it stopped the buffering. The rest of the program was fine.

70/6 is the best I can get from anybody locally without of course paying much more for my internet. That is a non starter just to watch DVR content while away. I just find it funny I can watch my tv stations just fine on the app, just not DVR content. Thanks for at least pointing out the problem.

Reactions: TheKrell
No matter what, even at home on my GB network, I could never use DA without buffering. I tried every tick. On the road, in a Hotel with that pathetic WiFi - fuggedaboudit!!

No matter what, even at home on my GB network, I could never use DA without buffering.

Back in my Sling Adapter days, the stream was adaptive and would just reduce the resolution if it couldn't keep up. Is that no longer happening with the new technology? :( Oh, and I never had an issue at home. But I prefer wired to wireless.
On the road, in a Hotel with that pathetic WiFi - fuggedaboudit!!

I have successfully watched Star Trek episodes from my 722 on my Moto E (extremely feeble-minded phone by present day standards) in Southern Shores on the Outer Banks of NC. The DSL connection was also rather modest.

I do not understand what the issue is for your setup. Do you have an H3?

Back in my Sling Adapter days, the stream was adaptive and would just reduce the resolution if it couldn't keep up. Is that no longer happening with the new technology? :( Oh, and I never had an issue at home. But I prefer wired to wireless.

I have successfully watched Star Trek episodes from my 722 on my Moto E (extremely feeble-minded phone by present day standards) in Southern Shores on the Outer Banks of NC. The DSL connection was also rather modest.

I do not understand what the issue is for your setup. Do you have an H3?
At the time, yeah. H3 with 960/260 speeds in my house. Internet here is not the problem but even using DA in my house, it buffered severely on recordings and live TV

Just a little update. Buffering kind of calmed down after a day or so. Watching DVR’d content was still iffy but I was able to watch live shows ok on the app. Would upgrading my internet from a 6mbps upload to a 10 help with the buffering? I could upgrade to 20 but I’m just not going to spend another $60 mo to watch dish anywhere while I’m away.

Just a little update. Buffering kind of calmed down after a day or so. Watching DVR’d content was still iffy but I was able to watch live shows ok on the app. Would upgrading my internet from a 6mbps upload to a 10 help with the buffering? I could upgrade to 20 but I’m just not going to spend another $60 mo to watch dish anywhere while I’m away.

A faster internet connection can help with streaming on the DISH Anywhere app, but another important factor is that your Hopper be also connected to the internet and have no internet issues since that can have an effect.

A faster internet connection can help with streaming on the DISH Anywhere app, but another important factor is that your Hopper be also connected to the internet and have no internet issues since that can have an effect.
Thanks. The H3 is hardwired and having no problems. But, we experience severe buffering while trying to watch our DVR’d shows.

Thanks. The H3 is hardwired and having no problems. But, we experience severe buffering while trying to watch our DVR’d shows.

Sometimes resetting the device can help.

Have you tried to also maybe delete the temporary internet files and refreshing? To do this:

Andrd Phn/Tab: Settings > Apps > DISH Anywhere > Storage > Clear Cache
Android TV: Device Settings > Apps > DISH Anywhere > Clear cache > OK
Fire TV/Stick: Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > DISH Anywhere > Clear Cache
iOS Phn: Settings > General > iPhone/iPad Storage > Offload App