Dish Anywhere Download Speed Issue (Error 16) Solved...

Bob Champion

Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I had been frustrated in watching programming on Dish Anywhere ("DA") using my browser; I'm on a Mac under OS 10.9.5. I would select "HD" viewing. Then the voice would eventually garble from time to time and the picture freeze, then jump around.

I'd then get an Error 16 message saying that my Internet speed was insufficient for viewing video. Well, I'm on a high-speed cable hookup getting over 125 Mbps download.

After a lot, and I mean a LOT, of work with Dish tech support - with my issue getting kicked "upstairs," an expert suggested that I needed to increase my "MTU" setting. Had never heard of that nor had my IT consultant, and the Dish guy wasn't sure where that setting was.

Well, Mac OS DOES have such a setting. It is under System Preferences/Network/Hardware, the last setting: MTU it defaults to "1500." I set it to "Jumbo," which is 9000. Whatever "it" is, "AVB/EAV Mode" is checked.

Now, DA is great with perfect HD reception.

You can only do that on gigabit Ethernet. Since it works, then that must be what you have. Wish I had a 125Mbps IPS.

Be careful with max transmission unit settings. If you are comfortable around your Mac and basic terminal ping commands you can use this as a guide to determine just how large of a data packet you can use with your provider before you get dropped data packets or actually slow down performance by multiple data calls. I have Comcast (for cable Internet only) and they look to top out at the pretty typical 1500 bytes.

http://www.macgurulounge.com/manually-managing-mtu-size-in-mac-os-x/

@TheKrell: wish I did, too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)