Dish Anywhere- I can not transfer recordings from Hopper 3 to iPad!!

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
Something is holding me back. Need advice.

Please remember I am your typical clueless retiree and learning a lot here at Forum.

Yesterday, I launched Dish anywhere app on my iPad. I followed the instructions on the screen. I turned Hopper 3 and tv on. I saw the code on tv screen, entered it on ipad screen. It was successful. The app showed available channels and my dvr recordings, which was amazing. (I created folders and organized all the shows I recorded in dvr.) The app does not show folders I created and the recordings are listed alphabetically. The series are bundled together. (One icon with the number indicating how many episodes are recorded with the same title.) So, I picked one particular series. Ken Burns' baseball series recorded from my local public tv, not ota but satellite. All 10 episodes were in queque. The first one started transferring slowly. I could see the green progress bar. Prior to that, I made sure the app on ipad was allowed to use local network within ipad settings. I kept the app, dish anywhere, open. I turned the tv and hopper 3 off! (I know, only a dummy would do that!). this morning I checked the status. All 10 episodes still showing they are ready to transfer. The green bar from the first episode is gone! It did not transfer. hopper 3 still shows all 10 episodes.
So, I assumed I should have kept the hopper 3 running before I went to bed.
I cleaned the queque meaning I deleted everything. Turned the ipad off and on. Started dish anywhere app, turned hopper 3 on. added the first episode. Walked away for half an hour. Checked. Well, no green bar!. it seems it is not transferring.

I am hoping it is something I omitted or didn't think is causing this problem.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Something is holding me back. Need advice.

Please remember I am your typical clueless retiree and learning a lot here at Forum.

Yesterday, I launched Dish anywhere app on my iPad. I followed the instructions on the screen. I turned Hopper 3 and tv on. I saw the code on tv screen, entered it on ipad screen. It was successful. The app showed available channels and my dvr recordings, which was amazing. (I created folders and organized all the shows I recorded in dvr.) The app does not show folders I created and the recordings are listed alphabetically. The series are bundled together. (One icon with the number indicating how many episodes are recorded with the same title.) So, I picked one particular series. Ken Burns' baseball series recorded from my local public tv, not ota but satellite. All 10 episodes were in queque. The first one started transferring slowly. I could see the green progress bar. Prior to that, I made sure the app on ipad was allowed to use local network within ipad settings. I kept the app, dish anywhere, open. I turned the tv and hopper 3 off! (I know, only a dummy would do that!). this morning I checked the status. All 10 episodes still showing they are ready to transfer. The green bar from the first episode is gone! It did not transfer. hopper 3 still shows all 10 episodes.
So, I assumed I should have kept the hopper 3 running before I went to bed.
I cleaned the queque meaning I deleted everything. Turned the ipad off and on. Started dish anywhere app, turned hopper 3 on. added the first episode. Walked away for half an hour. Checked. Well, no green bar!. it seems it is not transferring.

I am hoping it is something I omitted or didn't think is causing this problem.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Hello, sktrus. You may want to set up the DVR to Auto Prepare the recordings for transfer to the mobile DISH Anywhere app, which can help with the transfer process. To do this on your Hopper you will want to:

1. Press the MENU button once or the HOME button twice, depending on your remote
2. Select Settings
3. Select Timer Defaults
4. Select Smart Prepare For Mobile

Perfect timing. After initial struggle, I emptied queue. Picked a 63 minute episode (another title). The iPad app showed it prepeared. Then, it changed to ‘transferring… nothing.
I followed the instructions above ( thanks again). We will see.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish anywhere app still waiting for transfer. Check these 2 pictures. 0A02CF08-54F0-4C4E-B6E3-BBFBB42FF38B.png83C9F303-5836-45DC-8E08-D1202853347E.png

Another question to Dish support:

SMART PREPARE is on now. Does that mean future recordings from now on will give me the ability to transfer? The ones already saved in dvr can not transfer since this feature was ‘off’?

I keep looking at my queue in the app. Nothing is happening. While I am typing this, Hopper 3 is on. I assume it has to stay on to transfer.

Another question to Dish support:

SMART PREPARE is on now. Does that mean future recordings from now on will give me the ability to transfer? The ones already saved in dvr can not transfer since this feature was ‘off’?

I keep looking at my queue in the app. Nothing is happening. While I am typing this, Hopper 3 is on. I assume it has to stay on to transfer.
With the Smart Prepare all, all future recordings will be ready for transfer. It should also help with the current recordings that you have on the DVR.

To make sure that the Hopper is able to send the recordings to the iPad, can you check the Downloads setting to make sure you do not have "Download over Wi-Fi only" or "Download only while charging" selected? These options are listed in More > Settings > Downloads.

Those options are in ipad dish anywhere settings. After you open the app, it is at the bottom, the last option. it showed that neither was selected, the boxes had no tick marks. I selected the first option 'download over wifi only' with a tick mark. The app showed the recording will be deleted from hopper 3 and I had 60 days to watch it with Dish anywhere app.I assumed it would finally transfer!. but, it is not listed in queue.
I thought the transfers would not use internet connection, only LAN (local area network).
I will try to transfer I recordings last night after I changed timer default for smart feature. Maybe, those recordings will transfer.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 99
Latest. I picked a recording that took place this morning. Smart prepare was ‘on’ . The app showed it should be able to transfer. It doesn’t. Check the pictures.
back to square one!

Attachments

• 802A78E5-8FCD-4778-932A-0BF0E65F9956.png
    802A78E5-8FCD-4778-932A-0BF0E65F9956.png
    792.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 47763F41-68A6-4A66-914B-1AD1980C798D.png
    47763F41-68A6-4A66-914B-1AD1980C798D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
I have the same problem with my iPad. It puts them in Que and never transfers them. I did all the above work arounds and still no luck.

Thank you for keeping us up to date on what you're experiencing, sktrus. When you're trying to transfer a recording, do you leave the app open and on the DVR screen?

Thanks for the respond Dish, yes the app is open on ipad. It just won't start transfering. I tried both, having hopper 3 on and off. The first time I tried, Hopper and tv were off. I felt Hopper 3 needed to be on. So, I tried with TV and Hopper being on. That didn't work either.
Am I supposed to go to DVR on Hopper and select a show to transfer? Little bit confused here. Dish anywhere app allows me to select from dvr and transfer (in theory).
I will go ahead and update the app, and try again.

yes the app is open on ipad. It just won't start transfering.
Dumb question time. ;) Are you absolutely positively sure both Hopper and iPad are on the same LAN? I know, in the past, some people accidentally connected up to their neighbor's LAN and never realized it.

Dumb question time. ;) Are you absolutely positively sure both Hopper and iPad are on the same LAN? I know, in the past, some people accidentally connected up to their neighbor's LAN and never realized it.
The previous version of the app was the problem because it wasn’t completing the transfers. It was downloading the file but wasn’t finishing the steps so the file was viewable. (At least that’s what it was doing on my iPad)

I opened ‘app store’ app on iPad. 3 apps were ready to be updated. Not Dish anywhere! So, I entered ‘dish anywhere’ under search. Dish A. app in store showed it was ready to open. Then, it changed to ‘update’. I updated it. I made sure both Hopper and iPad were on same network. They were. I picked a show from dvr (dish anywhere app). The app got fussy! It claimed ‘not connected to LAN’. ( as it did before.). I checked iPad settings. It has an access to local network.
I selected a show to transfer again. It shows preparing…. The progress bar barely moves to right. About ready to throw the towel.
Baby Reaction GIF

I had same issue. Reboot your iPad to fix Lan error. I have updated Dish app but the transfer still does not work 90% of the time. When it does, it takes days for 1 show.

If I remember correctly it takes about an hour to prepare an hour show that’s why it’s best to auto prepare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts