Dish Anywhere- I can not transfer recordings from Hopper 3 to iPad!!

I had same issue. Reboot your iPad to fix Lan error. I have updated Dish app but the transfer still does not work 90% of the time. When it does, it takes days for 1 show.
I did rebooted iPad before I read your suggestion. Thanks anyway. Still, the transfer is incredibly slow. If it is happening.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I decided to test the transfer function on the new Dish Anywhere app. I have had Smart Prepare for Mobile turned on. I picked a two hour program (Disney’s musical “The Little Mermaid”) that I had recorded using ABC PTAT. It took 57 minutes to transfer to my IPhone 8+. My Hopper3 is hard wired to my home gigabit network and my IPhone 8+ was connected using 5 GHz WiFi. When the transfer finished, initially the playback failed every time I tried. I then exited Dish Anywhere, reopened Dish Anywhere, and playback now works. Of course the Autohop (automatic commercial skip) does not work with Dish Anywhere so you have to manually do the commercial skips.
The storage space used is 1.47 GB, the total device capacity is 63.97 GB, and the storage space remaining is 23.34 GB.
I decided to test play back of the transferred video with no internet. I turned Airplane mode on in my Iphone8+ to eliminate internet connection and the Transferred video plays correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I wish those who managed to transfer will respond. Dying to know if it is a Hopper, ipad or wifi issue.
Scott, are you there?:help

Do you have enough space on your IPad to store the transferred video? Also the transfer takes a while even with Smart Prepare turned in. A 2 hour show took 57 minutes to transfer on my Gigabit home network and it took up 1.47 GB of storage space. During the transfer the bar stayed at about 12% the entire time as if it was not transferring. Then finally a green check mark appeared when the transfer was finished. I had Dish Anywhere opened during the entire transfer and I was watching a show on my Hopper3. So you may need to be very patient. At least in the past the Hopper3 did not have to be on for the transfer to occur.

Reactions: sktrus
Thanks Dweber. My iPad's capacity is 128GB. I already checked that. It has about 64 GB available. You are correct. The green bar crawls to the right side when Dish anywhere app prepares it. And it says 'preparing...' Then, the wording changes to 'waiting to transfer...' I look and look, no new green bar at all. After about an hour, I just give up.
I also try one recording at a time. At my first attempt I wanted to move 10 episodes of the same show! I thought 8-10 hours overnight would be okay. All showed 'waiting to transfer' in the morning. Now, I am trying only one recording.
This time, I will walk away and see if the app completes it.

N0qcu, wow!! what do you have, 1GB speed? I thought transfers didn't require internet connection, but LAN. Of course, my Hopper and iPad are connected to same network.

I am adding this after reading Dweber's comment again. my Internet speed is about 30-50 MB, cell phone tower connection. the cruelty of living in the sticks!!

I thought transfers didn't require internet connection, but LAN. Of course, my Hopper and iPad are connected to same network.!

Although Dish Anywhere requires an internet connection for your initial login, the actual transfer occurs over your home network. I have all gigabit switches throughout my home network.

Last edited:
Interesting because a one hour show takes me about ONE minute to transfer.

Wow!!! I want to know how you can achieve that transfer speed.
Assuming that your 1 hour show would be half the size of my 2 hour show it would be 0.735 GB. Since 1 GB = 1024 Mb you are transferring 752 Mb in one minute.

My home network uses all Gigabit switches and my router is a Netgear Nighthawk R8000. My internet provider is Spectrum with a guaranteed download speed of 200 Mbps and upload speed of 10 Mbps. I realize the transfer uses your home network instead of the internet but this is the only way to see the transfer speeds.
My Hopper3 is hard wired to my router and shows download speeds of 180-205 Mbps. Although that is the internet download speed it shows that my Hopper3 is using my Gigabit home network. Of course I have no way of seeing the upload speed of my Hopper3.
My IPhone 8+ using my 5GHz WiFi shows an internet download speed of 220 Mbps and an upload speed of 11 Mbps.

Can you tell us the following when doing transfers:
1) What is the actual transfer time?
2) What is the file size of the transferred recording?
3) What device are you transferring it to?
4) What is your home network router?

I might try to change my Hopper3 internet connection from a wired connection to the WiFi connection to see whether the network card in the Hopper3 is limiting the transfer speed.

One last attempt. ( I think ;)).
deleted the app from iPad. Downloaded the latest ( dish anywhere). Followed the instructions. selected a 2 hr show from dvr. It took about 1 hour for dish app to prepare the recording. The green bar finished moving to the right. Then, the dreadful ‘waiting to transfer…’ was on the dish anywhere app. meanwhile Hopper 3 and tv connected to were on. Waited 4 hours. Nothing. There is not even a green bar!
at this point there isn’t much to do. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will just move on.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I might try to change my Hopper3 internet connection from a wired connection to the WiFi connection to see whether the network card in the Hopper3 is limiting the transfer speed.

I disconnected the wired connection on my Hopper3 and setup the internet connection using my 5 GHz WiFi.
I then recorded “GMA 3 What you Need to Know” on ABC. I then initiated a Transfer. Wow!!! The transfer completed in 65 seconds. The storage space used went from 1.47 GB to 2.19 GB and it showed 2 transfers. So that means the 61 minute recording is 0.72 GB and it transferred in about 1 minute.
I tested the recording in Airplane mode and it plays fine.

I can’t believe the WIFI is that much faster than the wired internet. I am going to change Hopper3 connection back to wired instead of WiFi and test another transfer. I have always believed that wired internet is preferable over WiFi but this blows that away. But the engineer in me wants to verify the result.

I disconnected the wired connection on my Hopper3 and setup the internet connection using my 5 GHz WiFi.
I then recorded “GMA 3 What you Need to Know” on ABC. I then initiated a Transfer. Wow!!! The transfer completed in 65 seconds. The storage space used went from 1.47 GB to 2.19 GB and it showed 2 transfers. So that means the 61 minute recording is 0.72 GB and it transferred in about 1 minute.
I tested the recording in Airplane mode and it plays fine.

I can’t believe the WIFI is that much faster than the wired internet. I am going to change Hopper3 connection back to wired instead of WiFi and test another transfer. I have always believed that wired internet is preferable over WiFi but this blows that away. But the engineer in me wants to verify the result.

Thanks dweber. Good info.

I think I found the problem. The GMA3 recording was not recorded using PTAT. The Little Mermaid recording was recorded by PTAT and then saved.
I saved Chicago PD out of my PTAT for the next download test. The Preparing to transfer took 21 minutes 30 seconds and the Transfer took 2 minutes 25 seconds. Thus it appears that PTAT recordings are not Smart Prepared for Mobile. I need to record another one hour show not using PTAT to test the transfer speed with the wired connection.
I think the transfer speed is slightly faster when the Hopper3 is off so it doesn’t have to multitask.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that both recordings that I transferred to my IPhone 8+ remained on my Hopper3 after the transfer. Of course these were all network recordings so that may make a difference.

Last edited:
I tested a transfer using my wired connection. I transferred Law and Order SVU from the USA channel 105. It took 2 minutes 19 seconds to do the transfer and the storage size was .72 GB. Dish Anywhere warned me that the recording would be deleted from the Hopper3 and that was the case.
Thus it appears that WiFi transfer was slightly faster than the wired connection.
I also found out that the wired connection on the Hopper3 is not a Gigabit connection since my Gigabit switch shows 1 LED instead of 2 LED. I had wrongly assumed that the wired connection was Gigabit since I was able to get download speeds of 200 Mbps. That explains why the WiFi transfer is slightly faster.
The main lesson I learned is that recordings from PTAT are not Smart Prepared for Mobile.

I tested a transfer using my wired connection. I transferred Law and Order SVU from the USA channel 105. It took 2 minutes 19 seconds to do the transfer and the storage size was .72 GB. Dish Anywhere warned me that the recording would be deleted from the Hopper3 and that was the case.
Thus it appears that WiFi transfer was slightly faster than the wired connection.
I also found out that the wired connection on the Hopper3 is not a Gigabit connection since my Gigabit switch shows 1 LED instead of 2 LED. I had wrongly assumed that the wired connection was Gigabit since I was able to get download speeds of 200 Mbps. That explains why the WiFi transfer is slightly faster.
The main lesson I learned is that recordings from PTAT are not Smart Prepared for Mobile.

What were your Internet Mbps speeds using the Hopper Diagnostics test menu wired versus wireless?

Which ethernet port are you using? Top or bottom?
Rumor has always been that only one is a gigabit port.

Reactions: TheKrell

There may be something wrong with your cable/port then, my switch (Mikrotik) shows Gig off of both ports when connected directly, diagnostics shows 280Mbps for an internet connection.

I also used a few SVU episodes for testing, didn't time it but the preparation took 20-30 minutes per episode, and the transfer was 1m15s on one episode and 1m35s for another, both 1h4m in length. Size of the recordings was 760MB and 780MB respectively. DVR is 63% full and 4 tuners in use at the time of transfer if that matters.

My setup however consists of a HIC, since I run 2 H3's and I want both them and the Joeys to be able to connect to the internet even if the primary H3 is off, and the HIC is reported as 100Mbps on my switch. So not only are my transfer times better, but with a 100Mbps link on the HIC being a possible bottleneck.

Network setup is H3 >> 250Mbps MoCA >> HIC >> 100Mbps Eth >> Switch >> 2.5Gbe >> Wifi6 AP >> Wifi6 2x2 (1.2Gb theoretical) >> iPhone 12 Pro Max

Another thing to note, while my Hopper3 will show up to about 280Mbps out of 300Mbps from my ISP while connected directly, that's when I let it connect without restrictions. Every device in my home is limited to 5Mbps Down/10Mbps Up each using QoS, this is to avoid hitting data caps due to streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)