Dish Anywhere - Not working after Windows 10 update

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Dish Anywhere was working this AM. Today there were a few Windows 10 security updates, so I installed them. Afterwards, Dish Anywhere keeps crashing. It connects to my receiver, says that it is starting the streaming, then it crashes with a 'Plugin has crashed' error message. I have tried reinstalling the Dish Anywhere player, restarting my computer, resetting the Dish receiver, restarting my modem/router. Still doesn't work.

If anyone else installs the Windows 10 updates that were released today (3-15-17), will you tell me if you have the same problem.

Dish Anywhere was working this AM. Today there were a few Windows 10 security updates, so I installed them. Afterwards, Dish Anywhere keeps crashing. It connects to my receiver, says that it is starting the streaming, then it crashes with a 'Plugin has crashed' error message. I have tried reinstalling the Dish Anywhere player, restarting my computer, resetting the Dish receiver, restarting my modem/router. Still doesn't work.

If anyone else installs the Windows 10 updates that were released today (3-15-17), will you tell me if you have the same problem.
I installed the updates and rebooted earlier today, just tried DishAnywhere and it worked fine for me...

If anyone else installs the Windows 10 updates that were released today (3-15-17), will you tell me if you have the same problem.[/QUOTE]. Same here, two different computers , both IE and Chrome browsers! Crashes.Does not work.

Thanks for the replies!

I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting, but I can't get Dish Anywhere to work on any of my home computers or laptops. They all give me the same 'Plugin has crashed' error message. Strangely enough, my iPhone works fine on the same home network! I tried both Firefox and Microsoft Edge with the same result.

Try going into control panel -programs and features-click on dishanywhere desktop-a menu will come up click repair-after it does its thing[will take a while] try dishanywhere again.....

Working fine here on IE and Firefox. When I ran it on IE it downloaded a new version of the video player. Apparently they also changed the version of DISH Anywhere PC overnight as well because it now defaults to the List display on the DVR menu every time. It didn't do that yesterday. They probably did that because of all the missing program icons. ;)

Can't get mine to work either. I click a recorded program to watch,the player opens and all I get is
Connected to R*********
Please click on Live TV or select a program to start streaming

Just uninstalled the Security update for Microsoft Windows that was installed yesterday. All is working now.
Windows 10 installed 6 updates today. Which one(s) did you uninstall to get it working?

EDIT: I just ran Windows 'check for updates' again and it found another update to install (KBKB3150513). I installed that, but it didn't help. Dish Anywhere still is broken.

DishAnywhere crashes for me as well after the latest Windows 10 updates, it's also happening with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun application for watching their tuners and according to their forum it seems to be because of Windows 10 update KB4013429:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=64482

"Windows 10 update KB4013429 will make the View/DVR app crash. uninstall it until Silicon can find a fix the issue"

I haven't tried uninstalling KB4013429 because I really don't need DishAnywhere and I think I'll just wait for a fix from Microsoft or Dish.

Reactions: millerthyme59
Windows 10 installed 6 updates today. Which one(s) did you uninstall to get it working?

EDIT: I just ran Windows 'check for updates' again and it found another update to install (KBKB3150513). I installed that, but it didn't help. Dish Anywhere still is broken.
You might try uninstalling the Dish Anywhere Windows App. Dish put out a new version of it a few days ago and you can force a re-install that way.

Reactions: papachops
You might try uninstalling the Dish Anywhere Windows App. Dish put out a new version of it a few days ago and you can force a re-install that way.

Thanks, but as I said above, I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling both Dish Anywhere and the Dish Anywhere Player. I have the latest versions of both. When I installed them last week, they worked OK until I installed the latest Windows 10 updates today.

I think donebu is right about KB4013429. There are a lot of fixes in that update. Not sure if I want to uninstall it. I might try it just to see verify that is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: MitchDeerfield
I haven't uninstalled KB4013429, but now DishAnywhere Player doesn't crash, it just get stuck at "Initializing..." The Windows 10 DVD player also crashes trying to play dvds, and the SiliconDust HDHomeRun application crashes trying to watch OTA channels from their tuners.

As nickk from SiliconDust says on their forum: "No. Running Windows Update will install KB4013429 which breaks Windows MPEG2 handling."

It appears that the Windows update did not affect Dish Anywhere for some. Windows did install KB4013429 (along with 5 other updates) on my computers yesterday, and that is when the Dish Anywhere problem started for me. When I have the time, I'll try uninstalling it just to verify that is the problem.