Dish Anywhere over Wi-Fi

You don't have anything plugged into the USB do you? And of course you should reboot the PC and the receiver, though I am sure you have done that already.

Nothing plugged into USB on Hopper.
Hub, printer, and mouse plugged into USB on Windows laptop.
Have rebooted laptop, Hopper, router, and cable modem in every sequence imaginable.

I had an old Linksys router that did the same thing. I replaced it with a new Linksys router and everything works right now.

I had an old Linksys router that did the same thing. I replaced it with a new Linksys router and everything works right now.

My Asus router is only 3 months old and the firmware is up to date. It's the N standard, so not exotic.
(Performance is way better than my old Linksys router, by the way.)

Most likely problem is the router or your laptop, so you should borrow someone else's and try to isolate the problem. Hopefully you might even know someone who has a working dish anywhere setup, and just doing a change out might help you figure out what was wrong. There must be a test to confirm that the Hopper isn't defective . . they sometimes are when brand new.

My Asus router is only 3 months old and the firmware is up to date. It's the N standard, so not exotic.
(Performance is way better than my old Linksys router, by the way.)

Even though you've already tried all the suggestions posted here I was just trying to help you by telling you what fixed the problem for me, so maybe it would help you get an idea where you might want to check again to fix your problem.

Good luck and you're welcome.

Most likely problem is the router or your laptop, so you should borrow someone else's and try to isolate the problem. Hopefully you might even know someone who has a working dish anywhere setup, and just doing a change out might help you figure out what was wrong. There must be a test to confirm that the Hopper isn't defective . . they sometimes are when brand new.

I'm on my second Hopper and I've only had Dish for three months. The first Hopper wouldn't connect to WiFi at all. Second Hopper connects to WiFi and will play video. It just won't connect with DishAnywhere.

My laptop runs Win XP. Have replicated the problem with MacBook and with Win 7 desktop computers.

I suspect that my router and Hopper aren't allowing DishAnywhere to communicate, but whether it's the router or Hopper is anybody's guess at this point.

I was hoping someone on this forum who has an Asus router might have solved the problem. Thanks for your suggestions.

Even though you've already tried all the suggestions posted here I was just trying to help you by telling you what fixed the problem for me, so maybe it would help you get an idea where you might want to check again to fix your problem.

Good luck and you're welcome.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate them.

So HWS works as your Android phone works over cellular. Therefore the HWS must be using its wireless. Your wireless network must be sending your data out.

Is your wireless router movable? Does it have ports? Have you tried connecting the HWS via the network cable to the router and then a network cable from the router to your PC (or was it a laptop?)?

I would not casually dismiss the possibility that the router may be an issue. If you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked, try new things (maybe even a retired router).

I wonder if your ISP is engaging in some manner of filtering. Getting your device to show up in DISH Anywhere shouldn't be that difficult as it requires only that the Hopper be able to phone home.

I have an ASUS router, and there are 3 different wireless networks (Standard, 5G and Guest) make sure all of them are connected to the same one. :)

So HWS works as your Android phone works over cellular. Therefore the HWS must be using its wireless. Your wireless network must be sending your data out.

Is your wireless router movable? Does it have ports? Have you tried connecting the HWS via the network cable to the router and then a network cable from the router to your PC (or was it a laptop?)?

Like the suggestions before it, this is a good one, although harder to implement.
Router is not easily movable.
But I was able to string ethernet cable up two flights of stairs to connect Hopper directly to router.
And I then carried the laptop down those stairs to use patch cable to connect it directly to router.

So, with only cables and no WiFi between Hopper or router or laptop, DishAnywhere.com still thinks Hopper is not connected even though Dish's own connectivity test says everything is fine.

Have posted this problem to Asus support line. (I wonder if there's a router setting that would solve the problem...)
Will contact Dish again to see if this new information changes their view that it's a Hopper software problem.

I have an ASUS router, and there are 3 different wireless networks (Standard, 5G and Guest) make sure all of them are connected to the same one. :)

Good point. I never did set up the guest WiFi network.

Have tried both Hopper and laptop on 5Ghz network. It attenuates some going up two levels in the house, but signal is good.

Right now, I have both Hopper and laptop on the 2.4Ghz network. Laptop says signal strength is 100%. Hopper says it's 65%. Location doesn't matter. Hoppers sees weaker signal even when those devices are sitting side by side.

I would not casually dismiss the possibility that the router may be an issue. If you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked, try new things (maybe even a retired router).

I wonder if your ISP is engaging in some manner of filtering. Getting your device to show up in DISH Anywhere shouldn't be that difficult as it requires only that the Hopper be able to phone home.

Wish I had a retired router to try. Old router stayed with old house. Will see if a friend has router I can borrow.

Suggestion that ISP might be doing filtering is interesting. My ISP is not Dish, so I'll have to inquire separately. Wonder how/why an ISP would filter DishAnywhere to laptop but not to Android phone....

I can watch DishAnywhere on my phone, so the video can flow from Hopper to router to cable modem to ISP to cell phone network to my Android phone. But same video can't flow from Hopper to router to cable modem to ISP to DishAnywhere.com to ISP to cable modem to router to laptop.

Actually, when it is in your own home ... the video all stays local on your network ... it does not go out once the Dish Anywhere app figures out that the Sling device (HWS) and viewing device (PC, phone, etc) are on the same network.

For what it is worth ... you get screaming streaming rates when using your own network.

Like the suggestions before it, this is a good one, although harder to implement.
Router is not easily movable.
But I was able to string ethernet cable up two flights of stairs to connect Hopper directly to router.
And I then carried the laptop down those stairs to use patch cable to connect it directly to router.

So, with only cables and no WiFi between Hopper or router or laptop, DishAnywhere.com still thinks Hopper is not connected even though Dish's own connectivity test says everything is fine.

Have posted this problem to Asus support line. (I wonder if there's a router setting that would solve the problem...)
Will contact Dish again to see if this new information changes their view that it's a Hopper software problem.

Did you turn off wifi on both HWS and PC?

Did you reboot both Hopper and PC?

What is doing DHCP ... your router or cable modem?

Actually, when it is in your own home ... the video all stays local on your network ... it does not go out once the Dish Anywhere app figures out that the Sling device (HWS) and viewing device (PC, phone, etc) are on the same network.

For what it is worth ... you get screaming streaming rates when using your own network.

Good to know that the video stream stays on the local-area network when possible.
Have two kids away at college, and if I can get DishAnywhere to work, they'll probably access it over wide-area network.

Did you turn off wifi on both HWS and PC?

Did you reboot both Hopper and PC?

What is doing DHCP ... your router or cable modem?

Yes, connected only with cables; no WiFi.
Yes, rebooted everything: cable modem, router, laptop, Hopper.
DHCP is done by router. Cisco cable modem does not have router/DHCP capability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts