Dish Anywhere update 7.0.3 issues

Huh, I have not been able to launch DishAnywhere on my iPad running iOS 12, but I can get it to work on my iPhone 8 with iOS 13. I just figured there was some compatibility issue with the older iOS version. This weekend I saw that I had updates for both devices, so I installed them. To my wonder, DishAnywhere came up on my iPad with iOS 12.4.7 (and it's still working on iOS 13.5.1).

Also, I was puzzled by the LiveTV comments. I bring up the Guide, select a channel, and press on the screen with the Play icon. I start streaming in a few seconds, even from my OTA dongle and the locals over-the-Air. That's with v20.2.50 on the iPad.

Huh, I have not been able to launch DishAnywhere on my iPad running iOS 12, but I can get it to work on my iPhone 8 with iOS 13. I just figured there was some compatibility issue with the older iOS version. This weekend I saw that I had updates for both devices, so I installed them. To my wonder, DishAnywhere came up on my iPad with iOS 12.4.7 (and it's still working on iOS 13.5.1).

Also, I was puzzled by the LiveTV comments. I bring up the Guide, select a channel, and press on the screen with the Play icon. I start streaming in a few seconds, even from my OTA dongle and the locals over-the-Air. That's with v20.2.50 on the iPad.

The recent problems with Dish Anywhere have been with the last two updates running on Android..

First, I wonder if the moderators could split the discussion of 20.2.50 from the 7.0.3. I began discussion 20.2.50 and wouldn't want to see it not get the appropriate exposure.

Be aware that just installing an older version will likely result in the "new version finder" replacing it with the new version at some point unless you disable the app from being updated too. The version of Android on my phone does allow this on an app-by-app basis but the version on my tablet it's a global setting (which is no big deal)

Indeed it does. I had the time to find the old version here:

www dot apkmirror dot com

downloaded 6.6.12, uninstalled 20.2.50 (a prerequisite or you get a non-descript failure message) and installed the new one. Before I could do anything playstore queued it for an upgrade which I intercepted by adding the do not update automatically attribute. Nonetheless it shows in the update list.

First, I wonder if the moderators could split the discussion of 20.2.50 from the 7.0.3. I began discussion 20.2.50 and wouldn't want to see it not get the appropriate exposure.

Version 20.2.50 was supposed to fix 7.0.3 but didn't. It's all the same issue. Perhaps the title of this thread could be updated (if that's even possible). By the way, I emailed Dish and had them update my last ticket to reflect that 20.2.50 failed to resolve these issues.

The recent problems with Dish Anywhere have been with the last two updates running on Android..
I tried Live TV on my wife's iPhone and it wasn't present there either... On my laptop if I select a program in the guide I do see a "live tv" option, but it is not present on either the Android or iPhone apps.

I apologize for muddying the issue with the Android Dish Anywhere App. I saw the Dish Anywhere App title and jumped in because yesterday and today have been the first time I’ve been able to use it on the iPad and I thought there might be something explaining the fixes.

Also, tpribors said he tried it on his wife’s iPhone and mentioned the App wasn’t showing an option for LiveTV.

If there is a separate thread for the iOS version of the Dish Anywhere App, I’ll post there instead.
Perhaps the title of this thread could be updated (if that's even possible)
It certainly can be done, just PM one of the SatelliteGuys Mods and let them know what you’d like to change the title to.

OK, after a small hint Live TV does work on both Android and iOS. There is a huge difference between the desktop and mobile UI. On the desktop the "play" is on the window that opens when you select the item in the guide. It's next to the "record" button. On the mobile, there is a VCR-like arrow icon in the middle of the screen that I didn't notice before. It's there and indeed, both of our systems can play.

It's so different that finding everything is taking a while.

One big difference about playing live and recordings had the ability to "downgrade" the picture - ie, HQ vs SQ. That's missing and important when we run into the buffering problems (unless just by accident or design that is fixed)

Volume control was on the playback window, now it looks like we use the device's Volume control? Mute is way at the upper right.

The "skip" and mute buttons are placed way in the upper left corner, and are so small and close together that it's almost impossible not to hit an adjacent button at least half the time...

It would be way more intuitive to have the skip functions at the bottom along with the time line like:

(-10s) --------------Time line---------- (+30s)

That makes hitting the wrong one more difficult.

Why no volume control? It's present in the Windows UI. In fact, the Windows placement is more intuitive.

The old UI also had a "remote" that you could use to change channels. Either enter a channel number directly or "up-channel" or "down channel". Having to go to the guide is really inconvenient when changing channels.... Also, as a history lesson, the OTA subchannels have a habit of disappearing from the app version of the guide. If we're in an "off" period, the only way to get to them was through the remote (ie, I could enter 8-02 and get 8.2. This is relevant since the previous version just happened to make the OTA channels disappear... Unless that's permanently fixed too.

While we're at it, here's a few other things.....

The DVR Recordings ignores any folders set up to organize recordings on the Hopper 3.

With recording and Live TV the "controls" screen that you get when tapping brings up the skip, volume,etc doesn't stay on long enough. It times out before the action is completed, making selective skipping difficult (have to request screen each time.)

Meanwhile, the 20.2.50 version is basically functional for my usage model but I think I'll downgrade to the older version and give this one a few more revs.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
One of the biggest issues that was reported over and over on the old Dish "forum" was that of constant buffering with the Dish Anywhere App. Version 20.2.50 seems to be a fairly major revamping of at least the UI. Is it an internal redesign too? The old system buffered even when the app was on the same network (wifi/Ethernet). I spent days over a period of about two years trying to make it better and was never able to find a workaround. That an app can't buffer enough locally to keep up with a 800mbit wifi link seemed odd, and I think the root problem was actually in the Sling-Dish integration. Is this improved with the new app? Anyone seeing buffering with the new version?

I use the app on various Android tablets and phones. My primary tablet died yesterday so I switched to a backup unit that hadn't been used for a while. Overnight it downloaded the new verison. I had blocked the automatic download on other units because it was so bad.

Well, I decided to try it again since there's been a few updates.

It Sucks! I started watching a program I recorded last night. My recordings start early. So I used the (well hidden as compared to previous versions) "skip forward 30 seconds". It took 45 freakin' seconds to skip 30 seconds of material!!!

Off it goes and I'll sideload 6.6.12.

WHen will dish withdraw this? It's horrible!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts