DISH at CES

It'll still be fake UHD. No HDMI 2 standards out there yet. Buyers will be disappointed if they expect full future compatibility.

4k is working now through direct Ethernet connection to a smart TV from Netflix and now Amazon Prime. STBs have to wait for HDMI 2 standards to be finalized. Some TVs like Samsungs are designed to be upgraded to the future HDMI 2 input. DirecTV's new service is a clumsy workaround that requires content to be downloaded to a Genie and then sent via the network to an RVU TV. Netflix 4k takes about 5-10 seconds to start and streams flawlessly with 25 mbps DSL to my Samsung 4k. The TV has to receive the stream. A box like a Roku is a dead end because the stream would have to go through HDMI to the TV.

Content is coming, new TV series and movies are being recorded in 4k.

Promises of future upgrade ability haven't worked out too well in the past.

It'll still be fake UHD. No HDMI 2 standards out there yet. Buyers will be disappointed if they expect full future compatibility.

Actually full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compatible chipsets have just come out. It is conceivable that Dish could put them in a new UHD hopper being released during the spring/summer time frame. These chipsets are expected to be used in the new UHD Blu-Ray players.

Not sure if I could be less excited about something than I am 4k. Truthfully, I don't think much tech or more "features" could be added that would benefit me, personally, other than more customizable packages that would lower my overall bill.

PTAT, auto hop, a bunch of tuners - meh, don't need it. We have 2 tvs w/HD on both, that's all we need. What I really want is better value and lower price for the channels we watch, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: foghorn2
Actually full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compatible chipsets have just come out. It is conceivable that Dish could put them in a new UHD hopper being released during the spring/summer time frame. These chipsets are expected to be used in the new UHD Blu-Ray players.
Well this is good news.

To me, UHD, or "4K" TV isn't really "here" until I can wire a box (sat box, Roku99, BD4K or whatever) to my AV system, which will then in turn feed the TV. Only when a full HT is supported will it truly have arrived.

Well this is good news.

To me, UHD, or "4K" TV isn't really "here" until I can wire a box (sat box, Roku99, BD4K or whatever) to my AV system, which will then in turn feed the TV. Only when a full HT is supported will it truly have arrived.

I wasn't really all that big on 4k until I decided to upgrade my TV. I wanted a nice TV that wouldn't have to worry about upgrading for another 5 years or so. I figured I'd go with a 4k because there will be more content and I heard that the upscale was pretty good. So far I've very happy with my choice. I was able to get a bigger TV without taking up any more space because the bezel is thinner. My Dish PQ is better now. The Smart TV functions have been great. Even though I had a Roku I find it easier just using the apps on the TV. The 4k content I did stream on my TV was fantastic also.

The best part was that I spent the same amount of money on it as I did on the TV it replaced. I had a Samsung 58" 1080p plasma. So for the same price was was able to gain 7", add Smart TV functions, add 3D and has better PQ.

Mostly due to too little content in 4k and too high prices on 4k tvs.
The fact that new hardware will be required all around suggests that UHD has at least as much of an uphill battle. Everything was in place for 3D before it happened receiver-wise. UHD doesn't have compatible TVs or receivers yet.

It has to start somewhere and getting the UHD content going will be much easier than 3D but the transmission will cost more than double the money.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Internet streaming to a smart TV is going to be the model for a while. Netflix and Amazon Prime - inexpensive. Amazon Instant Video, DirecTV VOD - expensive. HBO, Charlie's streaming - wait and see, content vs. cost. STBs. Receivers, DVRs, and streaming devices, will all have to be new hardware. It's going to be an interesting few years as 4k puts additional pressure on bandwidth/data limits going forward.

For now, Netflix to a smart TV is working perfectly - Marco Polo released last night in UHD.

IF they come out with a new hopper I'll call and request to be upgraded... free of charge obviously since Dish doesn't know how to crack down on making you pay for the simple things. Shouldn't be any requirement changes on the wiring so I should be able to do this myself too.

The Hopper 4K
The Hop4K
The 4k Hopper
The 4K Hop
The Skipper
4Ktv
The Hopper With Sling 2: The Return Of The Skip
The Hopper: Boz Edition
The DishPad (a 4k tablet)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey now,I called The Skipper first! Lol

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Perhaps it will be the NuTV streaming service they are launching. They will offer it to any device that can stream internet which can be done in HD and 4k.

It could also be the new service they want to launch with Artimus for wireless television in the cities as was posted on here recently.
Yep thats my thinking.With capacity as strapped as it is now,I don't see dish doing much at all with 4k in 2015.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Offering 4k on streaming allows them to do it cheaper and quicker. This also allows them to see how many subscribers are interested in it before launching it to satellite.

Doesn't 4K take twice the bandwidth of HD?

With transponders at a premium, I'd think 4K via satellite would be quite a ways down the road.

Well this is good news.

That's the way mine is setup and its awesome!

Have a Samsung UH8550 4K set, hooked to a Yamaha VX-675. I use the ARC HDMI connection on the 8550 to feed video and audio to the Yamaha. Watching Netflix in 4K sends the surround sound out over the ARC to the receiver and give amazing sound and picture.

I can plug in my Apple TV, Roku, Bluray Player etc into the TV and have it all sent over the ARC HDMI connection.

The arc is a 2 way HDMI connection where video and audio can come into the TV, or out of the TV to the receiver. And while I can hook my equipment to the receiver, I have been hooking it up directly to the TV as I let the TV do all the up-conversion to 4K.

BTW the Samsung does have 4 HDMI 2.0 ports on it.

Reactions: navychop
Prediction
higher definition= 4k
Easy= something better than apples new Apple TV yet to be released, the one we're Steve Jobs said I cracked it
-
-
Results= a new hopper with 4k that is better than TiVo and the new Apple box. It will do all streamers like Netflix and Amazon and dishes new stream service w voice command support to make it easy and of course Sat which will move to all HD to make room for some 4k
-
do I win something if I am right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts