DISH at CES

Wrong ... Anyone with a Genie and VOD can get 4K after and installer checks.
Which is why I think that DISH will announce the hopper with sling will be able to do 4k after a software update that enables the menu to show that option. Kind of like when they said the 922 could do 3-D. It would be the first generation of 4k receiver if they do it and I'm sure they will be working on a new 4k hopper with a bigger hard drive for next year if they do it. But either way they will be able to stay in competition with Directv if they enable it on the hopper with sling . Of course they will have to provide some 4k content either on pay per view, ethernet etc, but they should provide it to have parity with Directv.

Reactions: TheKrell
Wrong ... Anyone with a Genie and VOD can get 4K after and installer checks.
I thought you need a 4K capable RVU client, which at this time I think are only Samsung TVs.

My understanding DTV doesn't have any true 4K receivers. The Genie is basically just a file server feeding data to the RVU client in a 4K capable TV.

Which is why I think that DISH will announce the hopper with sling will be able to do 4k after a software update that enables the menu to show that option.
Doubtful.

The first advertised 4K chipset is the BCM7445. Nothing in Hopper's BCM7425 public specs implies support for HEVC/H265/HDMI2. 4K might be able to be squeezed out, but probably only using H264 encoding which isn't really practical.

The 7445 (family) is a pretty major architecture change, going to an ARM based processor instead of the current MIPS. Much, much speedier chip, but likely a little more work to port the existing code than previous MIPS to MIPS upgrades.

I guess they could release something via an LG Virtual Joey like DTV does with it's Samsung RVU clients, but it wouldn't be the Hopper doing the rendering.

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Doubtful.

The first advertised 4K chipset is the BCM7445. Nothing in Hopper's BCM7425 public specs implies support for HEVC/H265/HDMI2. 4K might be able to be squeezed out, but probably only using H264 encoding which isn't really practical.

The 7445 (family) is a pretty major architecture change, going to an ARM based processor instead of the current MIPS. Much, much speedier chip, but likely a little more work to port the existing code than previous MIPS to MIPS upgrades.

I guess they could release something via an LG Virtual Joey like DTV does with it's Samsung RVU clients, but it wouldn't be the Hopper doing the rendering.

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Well lets hope you're wrong. If not, then DIRECTV will be ahead of DISH in this new video resolution .

Well lets hope you're wrong. If not, then DIRECTV will be ahead of DISH in this new video resolution .
Not really. An LG 4K Virtual Joey would be equivalent to DTV's Samsung 4K RVU Client. Neither provider has a 4K STB.

i wish they would get the rest of all the non hd channels that have HD feeds added in HD before wondering about 4k i cannot afford one at the moment.

I wonder how much 4K linear content will be available? Take 1080p for instance, basically it is PPV only so far as cable and DBS go. I think for a long time 4K will be PPV and special events only on both Dish and DirecTV. In fact, I expect it will be largely relegated to streaming, optical disc and gaming for a long time to come.

Reactions: navychop
UHD ("4K") TVs does not equate to UHD programming. Providers will rely on upscaling for a LONG time time, perhaps forever.

Hogan's Heroes in "4K"!

Reactions: andy_horton
it would be great if it had something to do with 4K

Wonder how Dish plans to keep up with Direct & the launch of their latest satellite?
Perhaps we could look at it as DirecTV catching up to Dish, satellite wise.

I predict something with 4k. I have seen 4k on big screens and I love what I see. Vizio is selling a 50 inch 4k for around 650.00-750.00. Not bad, but still a little pricey as 1080 50 inch is under 500.00 now. But I do think 4k will be big this coming year.

I've read that Direct just launched a satellite that would expand their HD capacity and have the capacity to deliver 4k content. That said, I don't think 4k will go the way of 3D because the price difference between HD and 4k TV's continues to shrink which will in turn provide the motivation for increased 4k content.
Pretty soon I think all hdtv's will be 4K U-HDTV's,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Directv will be ahead of dish on 4K no question about it in my opinion.

I agree 3- D is still here ,but it never got wide audience acceptance that they hoped it would. 4k is the big industry push........................

4k will help with resolution on the larger screens while viewing at closer ranges. Since it was first widely introduced in movie theaters in the 1950's, 3D was always a novelty and required some type of special glasses to view. Add in vertigo and motion sickness for some while watching, and you further lessen the experience. Personally, I don't think 3D movies or TV really ever enhanced the experience because the field of view was too small no matter how big the screen. 4k requires no special equipment except for the TV and the storage and bandwidth to support it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Perhaps it will be the NuTV streaming service they are launching. They will offer it to any device that can stream internet which can be done in HD and 4k.

It could also be the new service they want to launch with Artimus for wireless television in the cities as was posted on here recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
I predict something with 4k. I have seen 4k on big screens and I love what I see. Vizio is selling a 50 inch 4k for around 650.00-750.00. Not bad, but still a little pricey as 1080 50 inch is under 500.00 now. But I do think 4k will be big this coming year.
It'll still be fake UHD. No HDMI 2 standards out there yet. Buyers will be disappointed if they expect full future compatibility.

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts