DISH at CES

Did Scott just discreetly mention that he's spoke to Mark Cuban?
You might have too. Remember he is a SatelliteGuys member. ;) (No I am not telling what it is. I remember when he posted a mcuban here and asked for questions about HDNet. He got a few thousand PM's in just a few minutes so he told me to shut that account off. :D)

UHD may be pristine at 18 Gbit/sec, but how many Mbit/sec is that stream? Still close to 1000x compression...
When you're talking SDI or HDMI, you're talking uncompressed. How you get from uncompressed to compressed is a whole other issue and typically one that has some big tradeoffs.

Due to the differences in matrix size and color depth, extrapolating HD to UHD is probably unwise.

How about hd only on dish no more sd channels
Yeah, how about it?
The costs to eliminate all SD equipment will be prohibitive...And will take years.
It needs to be done, but at a reasonable pace.
Dish must be careful to not get itself into a position where a mandatory transition of individual customers will cause line of sight issues and therefore cancellations of service.
For example, I can show areas of this market where even close in to the central city there are entire neighborhoods with older growth trees where sight lines are thin as it is. And any deviation from current position of the antenna with a necessary pointing in a different direction ( WA to EA) would cause that customer to no longer be a customer

Reactions: Tampa8
Doesn't 4K take twice the bandwidth of HD?

With transponders at a premium, I'd think 4K via satellite would be quite a ways down the road.
According to this....( .http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954 ) site, 4K files are four times as large as HD files. Now I am not sure how that translates to actual bandwidth, but chances are 4K uses A LOT more bandwidth that HD which uses roughly 7 times the bandwidth of SD.
Ironically the info contained in the link claims there is very little 4K programming available....Also, at this point, there are not many companies that use 4K capable recording equipment.

Yeah, "Higher Definition" sure sounds like the "Ultra HD" 4K to me. Uhhggg! Lets just wait for 8K, shall we. There are still quite a few folks who do NOT have HD services. Let them catch up, why not :)? I can't fathom what the "Easy" thing is about. Perhaps they mean "Easy" to pay your bill.

Yeah, "Higher Definition" sure sounds like the "Ultra HD" 4K to me. Uhhggg! Lets just wait for 8K, shall we. There are still quite a few folks who do NOT have HD services. Let them catch up, why not :)? I can't fathom what the "Easy" thing is about. Perhaps they mean "Easy" to pay your bill.

dish needs to get everyone all the channels that have hd feeds added first i counted about 50 to 60 channels that have hd feeds rsns.movie channels,basic cable channels and we should be all right after that.

dish needs to get everyone all the channels that have hd feeds added first i counted about 50 to 60 channels that have hd feeds rsns.movie channels,basic cable channels and we should be all right after that.

And how much money are you willing to pay each month to have every single channel in HD? You can't keep asking for everything under the sun without being willing to pay more money.

Reactions: satjay
Everyone's focusing on the words "higher definition" and not the word "easy". I think they'll announce a 4K Hopper, but also roll out Amazon Prime, YouTube and other streaming apps, and have cross-app searching enabled. THAT is "easy".

Mark Cubin did invest heavily in Netflix recently. I wonder how their stock is doing now that they went to Dish? It was on Suddenlink before Dish so for them to say the first "major" provider to get Netflix on their system would Suddenlink not be considered one?

I was quite happy with my 722K until I moved last year ... I then jumped on the HWS bandwagon because of all the free stuff DISH threw at me.

I have all 1080 TV's in my home with no plans of purchasing new TV's for quite some time. With a SuperJ too ... I have 5 tuners and PTAT ... love DISH mobile app to transfer programming to iPad for business trips. I think I am pretty much set.

If indeed they are going to launch a 4K-HWS ... I will sit this one out for 2015.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts