DISH Buying TIVO?

If this is true do you think that we would ever see the new DIRECTV HD TIVO?

Personally, I think DISH should NOT buy TIVO, I think that ECHOSTAR should. DISH can then pay fees to Echostar for the use of the Patents.

In addition this will get Echostars foot in the door of the cable operators, could you imagine a cable receiver with TIVO and Slingloaded?

This could be good for both companies.

If this is true do you think that we would ever see the new DIRECTV HD TIVO?

Personally, I think DISH should NOT buy TIVO, I think that ECHOSTAR should. DISH can then pay fees to Echostar for the use of the Patents.

In addition this will get Echostars foot in the door of the cable operators, could you imagine a cable receiver with TIVO and Slingloaded?

This could be good for both companies.

Very Good Point.

Agreed, I have said that NUMEROUS times over the years... about time Charlie listens to me. ;)
...just gonna cost shareholders an extra billion or so at this point in time. You want to hear something ironic...Dish Network has been battling Tivo's "Bogus" patents the past 5-years, but now they'll be going after Verizon and AT&T to defend their "Intellectual Property" patents should they purchase Tivo. Talk about Irony!!!

Also, the Cable companies have refused to do business with EchoStar and their new T2200S "tru2way" cable DVR. Now, all of a sudden they will have contracts in place with Comcast and other cable MSOs. Heck, they even have a contract with D*. Talk about double-irony!!!

Purchasing Tivo or paying a small licensing fee made perfect sense 2-years ago...now, not-so-much, but who knows? Hopefully the FCC will step-in to ensure that all Cable and Satellite MSOs are required to provide a "gateway" device based on open-standards.

Yeah either way it would be good if they did and would really put them in the lead even more on the DVR Market.

Agreed, I have said that NUMEROUS times over the years... about time Charlie listens to me. ;)

Scott,

I have to agree that I figured Dish was either trying to bankrupt TIVO with dragging out the Litigation or bleeding the value out of the company and then Buy it.

I always knew Dish couldn't afford to write off all of their DVR subscribers. TIVO is a well recognized brand name, but that is it. TIVO has been bleeding red ink for years, as well as losing subscribers at an alarming rate.

TIVO's company worth has been eroding for years, maybe now is the time to buy. This would also give Dish an in to the Cable DVR market especially with the new 922 "Cable version" coming soon.

John

I hope they do and Direct never touches TiVo again. These piece of crap DVRs should have gone under a long time ago.

WOW if this is true!

I wonder how long it will take the other site to report this rumor? Oh that's right they don't discuss rumors over there. ;)

BTW did anyone notice it took them a day to acknowledge that Echostar 14 was launched? (And when they announced it on their homepage they called it Echostar IV instead of Echostar XIV?) (I thought that was funny!)

Dish buying TiVo, or even taking a stake in the company to cover licensing would be good in the long run.

I wonder if Dish would drop the DVR fees if they owned TiVo? (I know never would happen)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)