DISH called telling me I need to upgrade to Hopper and Joey

tallcool1

Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
WI
Hello,
DISH called me today. They said they needed the Receiver #, card # and the location # for some update they needed to do. They said they would call back in 10-15 minutes. When they called back, they told me I needed to upgrade to a Hopper and a Joey. They said I would start to lose my HD channels on my VIP722K receiver. They said this will be $5 more per month. They started make a work order for a technician to come out to install the new boxes, then they asked for my credit card number. This was in case I didn't return the box if I cancelled. I refused to give them the card number and told them I would call DISH.
What's going on? is this a scam? Why would they ask for credit card information?
Is this an audit? Why should I be forced to pay more for service I didn't request? I am happy with the current system.
Anybody have this happen? Do I really need to upgrade?
Thanks

Definitely a scam. Just like most corporations. Dish will never call you and ask you for account specific info(such as your reciever number and smart card number), and most certainly never ask for credit card info on a call like that. The equipment info they have in their systems already, and unless they are calling you back, after you already placed a call or complaint, they won't need your card info. Glad you didn't fall for it.

As everybody else has said, THIS IS A SCAM.

Not really to the O.P., but to anybody reading the thread, if you supposedly get a call from Dish, ask for their operator ID, and tell them YOU will call Dish back at the main number, 800-333-3474 (folks be sure you use 800-, there is an alternate toll-free number that is run by a retailer that will try to switch you to DirecTV ). If the person is legitimate, they will leave notes on the account. Outbound calls are extremely rare. Anybody who calls outbound for Dish will leave notes on the account. Some of the very rare outbound calls will be Outbound STB health, if your connected receiver reports back that the receiver is failing. And as I said, those outbound agents will leave detailed notes on the account. Plenty of discussion here about the audit team calling. If they do call and threaten to turn off a receiver, and you're not sure...go ahead and call back. They also leave notes on the account, and a Dish agent can either get you over to them or give you the correct number to call them at.

Never, never, never, never, NEVER give someone who calls from Dish any sensitive information, like your social, your credit card number.

Also, stating the hopefully obvious. A 722k is a current receiver. Heck, even a 625, or a 522, or a 322, or a 311... (and the other receivers in that age range and lineup) they're old, and while you may well be eligible for a free upgrade...even those receivers are not yet in a place where you are forced to replace them.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Definitely a scam. Just like most corporations. Dish will never call you and ask you for account specific info(such as your reciever number and smart card number), and most certainly never ask for credit card info on a call like that. The equipment info they have in their systems already, and unless they are calling you back, after you already placed a call or complaint, they won't need your card info. Glad you didn't fall for it.

Only exception for the receiver and smart card numbers (and location ID) is the audit team. They obviously will call customers and ask that information. But, of course, customers can call back and those agents do leave notes on the account.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Good point. That would be one obvious exception to the rule. But like you said. Can call and verify. Can even get the callback number for that team.

There is an exception. Dish may call if the health report at the overnight reboot reports a problem. There have been posts that Dish has called when drift is reported and they want to schedule a tech visit to correct it.

I believe there is NO exception. If DISH is calling they have your receiver information. How can someone think the company who registers your equipment so they can send a signal to you does not have your receiver and smart card number?

In addition, no one is losing HD channels by not having a Hopper. Losing your locals in HD with any receiver is a possibility if you need to switch ARC's, but that will normally be at no cost to you.

The only reason any customer would have to upgrade equipment is if they have very old equipment, like a 301 or older. Anyone with a 722 receiver is just fine.

Sounds like Dish needs to step up their security a little bit. How are these scammers getting customer information? They can't just call random numbers. They have to know there is a Dish customer attached to the specific numbers they are calling or their scam can't work. Also, it sounds like they may know whether you have a Hopper or not.

I think Retailers do this in out of state regions now but just using commercials to sell Dish for their own gain. I really wish this one ad run by some retailer in the north west would stop its ad running around here as its gotten really old and at one point was discussing two false options that I reported to the news station. They pulled the ad for about a week then it came back on edited to fix the false parts of the ad.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
I think Retailers do this in out of state regions now but just using commercials to sell Dish for their own gain. I really wish this one ad run by some retailer in the north west would stop its ad running around here as its gotten really old and at one point was discussing two false options that I reported to the news station. They pulled the ad for about a week then it came back on edited to fix the false parts of the ad.

If the people pulling off these scams are retailers than Dish should be actively searching them out and removing their retailer status. It doesn't look good when someone representing your company is flat out lying to customers to try and rip them off. Take away their right to associate with Dish as a retailer and be done with them.

This guy had everything. The package I subscribe to, the fact I'm bundled through a phone company, how much my bill is, my address, the fact I was authorized to make changes to the account even though my wife is the primary account holder. Things that were just plain strange for a scam - why would they tell me my monthly bill would go up? I was upset about this. Would have thought they would try to make me happy so I would be comfortable with giving out information. weird.

This guy had everything. The package I subscribe to, the fact I'm bundled through a phone company, how much my bill is, my address, the fact I was authorized to make changes to the account even though my wife is the primary account holder. Things that were just plain strange for a scam - why would they tell me my monthly bill would go up? I was upset about this. Would have thought they would try to make me happy so I would be comfortable with giving out information. weird.

In that case it seems like DIRT should be notified about this thread so they can forward it on to the appropriate people at Dish. I can't imagine that the company would be ok with retailers using these practices.

My guess, they may have hacked your csa account. That's what the green dot and "pay 6 months get 6 months free" scam does. And that's a fairly prominent scam.

Scam yes... but also prob a retailer or someone with some sorta of account trying to sell Dish thru Dish which is how they got some basic information. Dish should be the only ones that can sell their own product..rather tired of RSP's, Retailers and whoever running around and lying to upsell a product that they don't own. If you search the phone number you posted it shows some replies from people that did in fact get an upgrade and what they were offered for the funding but at the end of the day it shouldn't be them to do this because they just sucked up all that cash from Dish for the upsell. Retailers and RSP's do this all the time with really bad advertising and false advertising.