DISH called telling me I need to upgrade to Hopper and Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hello,
DISH called me today. They said they needed the Receiver #, card # and the location # for some update they needed to do. They said they would call back in 10-15 minutes. When they called back, they told me I needed to upgrade to a Hopper and a Joey. They said I would start to lose my HD channels on my VIP722K receiver. They said this will be $5 more per month. They started make a work order for a technician to come out to install the new boxes, then they asked for my credit card number. This was in case I didn't return the box if I cancelled. I refused to give them the card number and told them I would call DISH.
What's going on? is this a scam? Why would they ask for credit card information?
Is this an audit? Why should I be forced to pay more for service I didn't request? I am happy with the current system.
Anybody have this happen? Do I really need to upgrade?
Thanks
SCAM....Report it to DISH

The only reason any customer would have to upgrade equipment is if they have very old equipment, like a 301 or older. Anyone with a 722 receiver is just fine.
Correct. I had a 501 and a 508 that I was instructed to upgrade because the QPSK whatever ya call it was being shut down.

Change your csa password. Just be safe. Make sure no changes to your account were made including PIN number

As others have said, a lot of folks get this info from your mydish.com account, by hacking into it. I also think a lot of the info comes from sketchy retailers. I've dealt with a person from a retailer calling in, asking for info from a customer's account, and they couldn't give the security code. They kept calling, looking for a CSR that would give them the info.

Any retailers out there? How much can you tell us about what information you do have access to? I'd guess you can't say much...and I don't know really anything about what system the retailers use.

Already said it, but will say it again...don't give any information to a caller who says they're from Dish. Tell them you'll call Dish back at the main number. As several of us said, if you call in, the CSR will see notes on the account if it was a legit caller.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Yep, this is going on in several places right now, and Dish is aware. I copied and pasted this from the tech portal:

Today on my first job I had everything ready to go setting up my hopper and talking with my customer when she tells me yeah they said if I didn't upgrade to the Hopper I'd lose my HD programming and that they were also charging her $195 for the upgrade. Big red flag went up in my mind! I asked her if she had the number still in her caller id she said yes and showed me.....It was a damn Skype number! she had also been contacted by some random 888 number. I called both trying to get some answers and could not get through to the Skype number and got a message from the other that in no way sounded even remotely
affiliated with dish. What disturbed me most was the fact that these people had my customers credit card information which to my mind would indicate a leak somewhere in customer service which is victimizing
Our customers

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep, this is going on in several places right now, and Dish is aware. I copied and pasted this from the tech portal:

Today on my first job I had everything ready to go setting up my hopper and talking with my customer when she tells me yeah they said if I didn't upgrade to the Hopper I'd lose my HD programming and that they were also charging her $195 for the upgrade. Big red flag went up in my mind! I asked her if she had the number still in her caller id she said yes and showed me.....It was a damn Skype number! she had also been contacted by some random 888 number. I called both trying to get some answers and could not get through to the Skype number and got a message from the other that in no way sounded even remotely
affiliated with dish. What disturbed me most was the fact that these people had my customers credit card information which to my mind would indicate a leak somewhere in customer service which is victimizing
Our customers

did you hear about that hospital database hack that happened just a bit ago.
one of the biggest chain of hospitals/clinics in the nation had their databases broken into.
here it is
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....health_details_attack_on_patient_records.html
4+million patient names, addresses, birthdates, and phone and Social Security numbers.

that is all you need to steal someones identity

If Dish is really such a bad place to work, with disgruntled employees and low pay, and high turnover - well, then there's plenty of incentive to stealing customer data.

I'm hoping Dish is NOT such a bad place to work. But if it is, this could be one consequence....

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

The actual benefits are fine. In my experience, it comes down to management that is terrible to work for. There are "firing seasons" and if you make to much money, you are at the top of their list. Constantly berated and then told how special you are cause an exec is coming or there is some sort of review. The actual business itself though, is just another job.

I worked in a Dish call center right after high school and I can tell you my experience was much different than yours, at least where I was. I understand that you may run into a bad egg, but classifying everyone that way isn't a fair description of the culture. I don't think there is a firing list. I'm sure there are non negotiables, like any company. I also know that the money comment is false. The internal promotion rates are pretty good at dish. Most call center coaches and management started at dish taking calls.

Companies that don't maintain high security levels for peoples private info, SSN ,DL ,DOB, etc should be held 100% liable when they are hacked. Nice large fine, free credit monitoring (one's that actually do what they are supposed to) for life. Companies like to save a buck and don't like to spend time or money to lock down their systems and enforce computer policies for their employees. Some employee should not be able to click on a suspicious link, click this to win $500 or a prize, that installs malware or spyware on the network.

The internet is very censored at dish for call center employees. As far as my experience, that's what it was. All but two managers. That's after being successful there I am passing that on. Promotions are easy, but they still gotta maintain there budget, so if it is close, and you got someone making $25/hour and someone making $16/hour, and both are doing just as good as one another. No real problems, and they need to trim the budget, guess what, you make to much money. Now that could have been just Phoenix. Although they got rid of all of El Paso managers because of the same thing. And it's not just call center managers, it is also, the mid executive management. Bernie Han fights for agents, but Stephen Murphy doesn't care. See the difference? I got in trouble once when I was an agent, before being promoted, for answering Bernie hand, on what we would like to see change. And it was not bad. It was in the hold times with techs and the Hughes net department. Although all the mid managers didn't appreciate someone telling them there is a flaw, Bernie went out of his way to make sure we got our changes. It's things like that that make it hostile.
Now as mentioned, the actual business STELA and the benefits were great. Free tv, healthcare to those who need it, 401k and promotion opportunities are all there. But the management makes the difference.

Folks, I don't think that Dish's private employee practices are appropriate to this website. Dish has been our friend and if we want to keep it that way I'd suggest that the latest posts be carried on in PMs....

Reactions: KAB
The internet is very censored at dish for call center employees. As far as my experience, that's what it was. All but two managers. That's after being successful there I am passing that on. Promotions are easy, but they still gotta maintain there budget, so if it is close, and you got someone making $25/hour and someone making $16/hour, and both are doing just as good as one another. No real problems, and they need to trim the budget, guess what, you make to much money. Now that could have been just Phoenix. Although they got rid of all of El Paso managers because of the same thing. And it's not just call center managers, it is also, the mid executive management. Bernie Han fights for agents, but Stephen Murphy doesn't care. See the difference? I got in trouble once when I was an agent, before being promoted, for answering Bernie hand, on what we would like to see change. And it was not bad. It was in the hold times with techs and the Hughes net department. Although all the mid managers didn't appreciate someone telling them there is a flaw, Bernie went out of his way to make sure we got our changes. It's things like that that make it hostile.
Now as mentioned, the actual business STELA and the benefits were great. Free tv, healthcare to those who need it, 401k and promotion opportunities are all there. But the management makes the difference.
dishes health care plan is garbage.
I have worked for outfits that have good healthcare plans and Dishes healthcare plan through Cigna is not.

It's better than nothing for those that have nothing. I lucked out with the VA so I don't know the details with it at all. And yes. Lucking out with the VA is an oxymoron.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)