DISH Calls on FCC to Intervene as Media General Prolongs Blackout

I'm a directv sub, and never been with dish, so I have nothing to say in the matter good or bad, but I'll treat dish or directv as major satellite providers with better technology than comcrap, that's all I have to say.

Dish IMO should be allowed to put on another states or regions NBC in place of those that lost it. The laws and regulations from the FCC not allowing this is bs certainly in cases like this. If they would allow this then Media General would have no choice but to come back and bargain as they could just be on the outside looking in forever. Most people don't care about local news they just want those lame reality tv shows that NBC shows or the random CFB game such as ND that has a contract with NBC to follow their games.

Dish IMO should be allowed to put on another states or regions NBC in place of those that lost it. The laws and regulations from the FCC not allowing this is bs certainly in cases like this. If they would allow this then Media General would have no choice but to come back and bargain as they could just be on the outside looking in forever. Most people don't care about local news they just want those lame reality tv shows that NBC shows or the random CFB game such as ND that has a contract with NBC to follow their games.

You do realize MG owns more than just NBC affiliates, right?

You do realize MG owns more than just NBC affiliates, right?

If they do then great, but again the option should be there for them to go with something else. I remember years ago I used to get two different locations for my CBS,NBC, ABC and FOX both East and West coast. I didn't care about the locals and if I wanted local news I would use an antenna. The way it was gave me a ton of options to watch those channels such as catch West with the DVR if I missed East...but nooo thanks FCC!!

I think it has been said a million times in this thread and in others that both the carriers and the broadcasters benefit from each other. So while I agree that broadcasters should be paid just on the basis of if the carriers didn't have them they wouldn't sell as many subscriptions, it has to be a reasonable amount. This notion that we can afford 5 or 6 hundred per cent increases every time we come up for renewal will kill the sat industry eventually. Sat TV is already getting stupid expensive. Sat TV got its start in the boonies and has worked its way into the burbs and urbs. Those of us still in the boonies have fewer choices: essentially there are 2 sat providers, no cable, no fios and unreliable OTA even with a 14 foot antenna where I live. Add to that limited internet options and the frustration mounts. The rural customer will be the big loser when this notion of huge increases for every renewal finally blows up. I hope that the retrans laws will be rewritten to make the situation more stable by then.

If they do then great, but again the option should be there for them to go with something else. I remember years ago I used to get two different locations for my CBS,NBC, ABC and FOX both East and West coast. I didn't care about the locals and if I wanted local news I would use an antenna. The way it was gave me a ton of options to watch those channels such as catch West with the DVR if I missed East...but nooo thanks FCC!!

There are others issues though. Stations have contracts (syndicators and ad producers) that prevent them from showing certain content outside their market. That's one of the reasons affiliates don't stream 24/7/365.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts