DISH CES Press Conference Announcements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yep, got too comfy in the cable and Sat world. I've had an antenna since the 70's.

I got some good video of the new UI, but internet is crawling here. Said it would take 21 hours to upload the 450 MB file. (grrr.)

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread in the last 24 hours, but are there any screen shots of the new UI? That's the only real problem I have with the Hopper is that the UI seems a bit dated.
Post # 4 of this thread - open the feature sheet for the 4K Joey. It's just a single image....

I am 28, and think this will fit quite a bit of my friends.
I clicked around the Internet to places like CNET, gizmo, endgadget and other places and was a little surprised to see just how well the comments were going to this idea. I'd say 90% positive with plenty of "I want it....now".

Many said, "I'd pay $20 for ESPN alone".

Looks to me like this will be a winner to its target market.

Reactions: ChadT41
I clicked around the Internet to places like CNET, gizmo, endgadget and other places and was a little surprised to see just how well the comments were going to this idea. I'd say 90% positive with plenty of "I want it....now".

Many said, "I'd pay $20 for ESPN alone".

Looks to me like this will be a winner to its target market.
Unless Sony has its way. It's going to be interesting to see how these stack up head to head. Sony still has content announcements for their service.

If you live in town and can get the big 4 on your TV plus this service would appeal to a lot of people. I think the VOD via the apps these providers have would be the most popular part.

This service along with the new devices getting tuners/chips to receive OTA/signals from cell towers to receive content are a good combo. Netflix alongside this package is also a good combo.

What would be ironic is if Disney Jr and Disney XD are in HD on Sling TV and not on Dish.

Dish has access to higher bit feeds than they give with SD - not sure if it the Watch Apps are true HD but they look really good. I have the WatchESPN App on my phone, and I have "chromecasted" the Longhorn Network to my TV so I can see it in a lot better quality. Maybe not true HD, but it is a ton better than the SD feed. I have also done it with Disney Junior or Disney XD when they have had a classic movie on - looks great on my TV through Chromecast.

To have a big base they are going to have to get some FAST uncapped broadband out to the masses (not just Dish, but everybody). If they had a partner or the resources a high cap or uncapped LTE type service using Dish's spectrum would help get faster broadband to more areas. But I think they are just sitting on that as an investment.
There is so little 4K content. It's like this piece of candy that get's dangled in front of people to make them want a new TV.

There is so little 4K content. It's like this piece of candy that get's dangled in front of people to make them want a new TV.
I think you are right. If I were in the market for a new TV today, I would certainly go ahead with 4K, but right now, I think it is more of a marketing gimmick to get people to spend more. I don't think it will end up like 3D, but on the other hand, I don't believe that it will ever be as ubiquitous as HDTV (720p, 1080i), I think it will be more along the lines of 1080p, a few PPV movies, maybe a feed of ESPN, of course streaming, eventually some sort of optical media (Blu-Ray 4K, didn't someone introduce this at CES?), and perhaps later a feed each of HBO, Showtime, and Starz. I think at this point there are a lot of consumers such as myself. I am usually an early adapter, but there has to be some compelling content. I started out in HD back in about 2003 or 2004 with a 45" projection Mitsubishi, then after about three years, that set went kaput and I got a 46" Sony. Then I got rid of my tv cabinet that was restricting my size and got a 60" Samsung Plasma about bought 3 years ago, I think I will wait a couple of more years until it gets about 5 or 6 years old to see about upgrading, by then we should know if there is going to be a lot of 4K content. Right now, it is mainly streaming and my internet is so slow (DSL about 4mbps that is really more like 2mbps) or restricted by data caps (Exede and AT&T LTE) that I couldn't get any 4K streaming content anyway.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
With UHD Blu Ray coming later this year, 4k looks like it is here to stay. But, I think it is still a few months too early to buy a new TV. Until they have the new UHDBD standard released and the new HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 out, there are just too many possible gotchas that could happen.

IF 4k tvs all upconvert the image of any input to 4k like resolution and it can make a 1080p picture look almost 4k ,then it really doesn't matter if there is 4k content is out there right away. It would be a video upgrade for the picture anyway. Besides I have a feeling that in the next year or so that all you will be able to find to buy at the stores will be 4k tvs. Kind of like two years ago all you could find was 3d tvs. So either way the 4k tv will become the standard ,then the 4k video content will slowly follow. Just like HD started with one hd channel on DISH and then 3 channels for like $7.99 , I see 4k following a similar path. By the time we all get used to 4k channels and videos ,the industry will be moving on to 8k. Anything to get the consumer to spend.

Reactions: foghorn2
IF 4k tvs all upconvert the image of any input to 4k like resolution and it can make a 1080p picture look almost 4k...
"look almost 4k" is subjective and for many, it won't be good enough. The fact that they know it's upconverted is an issue for many ! Purely from a technical standpoint, an upconverted-to-4k can't be as good as a native 4k picture.

...then it really doesn't matter if there is 4k content is out there right away.
For the vast majority of people, you're exactly right.

...Purely from a technical standpoint, an upconverted-to-4k can't be as good as a native 4k picture...

Correct, but my 4k TV is a better TV for Dish Network 1080i, now. And, since I have 25mbps DSL, there is 4k content both with movies, documentaries, and Netflix series (plus all new ones to be 4k).

4k sucks. 8k is better especially when to TV is right in front of your nose, just ask any ant or fly.
And all that wonderful content in 8k- all the old movies and TV shows redone with modern actors with no talent and nice hairstyles.
and the reality shows in 8k WOW!!
Imagine how great the blurred out private parts in naked and afraid or naked dating will look in 8k, GEE WIZ!!

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts