Dish Chairman Ergen to Add CEO Title

100 million to change out the receivers and how much do they have invested in all that wireless bandwith they aren't using ? Multiple BILLIONS of dollars? I think they should of done this change over years ago and got ahead of the change and invested in the actual satellite company. It seems like they have been doing this upgrade for ever. Western arc should of already been changed out to full mpeg 4 already. Eastern arc is full mpeg 4 and has been since 08 when it debuted. Here we are seven years later and they still are in transition?
Or they should wait a couple years and transition WA to all new HEVC boxes.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Or they should wait a couple years and transition WA to all new HEVC boxes.

I'd like to "like" your post, but it would leave us (here in VA) seriously behind in technology, which I don't like at all! Or are you going to tell me the Hopper has a hidden HEVC chipset that nobody knows about?

Nope. Absatively not. But probably designed to be upgraded to a new model quite easily.

I think Mr. Clayton, worked on changing the view of Dish, there was new technology and new ideas.

Talking about HEVC Hoppers...

Nope. Absatively not. But probably designed to be upgraded to a new model quite easily.

I don't see how the Hopper could be upgraded "easily" to a new model. Maybe another special Joey would do that. Or a Sling Adapter-like device for VIP receivers. :D

Not current Hoppers in the field. I think they can take the basic box and pop a new circuit board in, with HEVC chips, and have limited software changes. And call it Hopper 2016 or some such.

I'd like to "like" your post, but it would leave us (here in VA) seriously behind in technology, which I don't like at all! Or are you going to tell me the Hopper has a hidden HEVC chipset that nobody knows about?

If it did then the Hopper would support Netflix, which it does not.

Going to miss this ...
vlcsnap-2015-02-23-12h47m21s20.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-02-23-12h46m02s234.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-02-23-12h54m42s74.jpg

I was not a big fan of Clayton's corny antics on stage. I found myself feeling embarrassed for him most of the time. I do feel he did a great job helping out Dish's brand awareness with the Hopper name instead of model numbers.

Seen him do similar stuff in Phoenix when he would come to the CSC. Not the same show, but he is just as energetic and off the wall there too. I can't remember the special thing he did, but it was ridiculous for a Monday morning at 8 AM, after working til midnight the night before. He is a character, and certainly can get the crowd behind him, but it just felt like he was not really listening. I am guessing it was because of his minions.

I was not a big fan of Clayton's corny antics on stage. I found myself feeling embarrassed for him most of the time. I do feel he did a great job helping out Dish's brand awareness with the Hopper name instead of model numbers.
The brand awareness I do agree with. You know you did good when your main competitor changes the name of their already released product to be competitive.

From the 10-K: For the year ended 12/31/2014:

Pay-TV subscribers, as of period end (in millions): 13.9781
Pay-TV subscriber additions, gross (in millions): 2.601
Pay-TV subscriber additions, net (in millions): (0.079)
Pay-TV average monthly subscriber churn rate: 1.59%
Pay-TV average subscriber acquisition cost per subscriber (“Pay-TV SAC”): $853
Pay-TV average monthly revenue per subscriber (“Pay-TV ARPU”): $83.77
Broadband subscribers, as of period end (in millions): 0.577
Broadband subscriber additions, gross (in millions): 0.295
Broadband subscriber additions, net (in millions): 0.141
Net cash flows from (in thousands):
Operating activities from continuing operations: $2,408,131
Investing activities from continuing operations: ($983,924)
Financing activities from continuing operations: $980,267

I always liked Joe's enthusiasm about the products, the company, and the service. Call it corny if you wish, but Joe really seemed like he was excited about the products and services that Dish offers, and he actually acted (at least) like he knew the product and used it himself. Nothing better to me than a chief executive that knows his product and is enthusiastic about telling customers and potential customers about it.

I always liked Joe's enthusiasm about the products, the company, and the service. Call it corny if you wish, but Joe really seemed like he was excited about the products and services that Dish offers, and he actually acted (at least) like he knew the product and used it himself. Nothing better to me than a chief executive that knows his product and is enthusiastic about telling customers and potential customers about it.
That I can attest to for sure. He is the one that actually taught me about MoCa in a meeting we had. It was a random question, and before the Hopper was even announced(it was a rumored receiver known as the XiP813 back then), and he was able to get into great detail on the spot. Wish I had a copy of the video that was recorded of that meeting.

What's also interesting (and please try not to make it political) is that Dish's effective tax rate has been dropping. From the 10-K:
2012: 33.4%
2013: 26.4%
2014: 23.0%