Dish Chairman Ergen to Add CEO Title

I always liked Joe's enthusiasm about the products, the company, and the service. Call it corny if you wish, but Joe really seemed like he was excited about the products and services that Dish offers, and he actually acted (at least) like he knew the product and used it himself. Nothing better to me than a chief executive that knows his product and is enthusiastic about telling customers and potential customers about it.
That's the thing, he'll talk with you ...

I do not disagree with having him in the business, or even in a high rated position in the company. I just think he lacks the fortitude to do anything of great significance for the good of the company. Thats why I wanted Han as CEO and wouldnt mind Clayton as COO. That would be a great balance, and Vegas could still happen the same way, but there would be someone who needs to make the right decisions at the top. Someone that truly does deserve to be there as well. Thats just my opinions though. I have no personal issue with Joe, he is a cool guy and one of the most fun on a stage, which would be a huge difference to Han. Just not ballsy enough to tell Charlie no....that was my biggest thing.

Reactions: jssp8s
Getting ready for EchoStar 18 by moving 10 percent of customer market to new boxes and phasing out QPSK..

"For several years we have been selectively migrating customers with QPSK receivers to 8PSK receivers concurrent with scheduled in-home service visits or through receiver exchanges. We recently expanded that effort to our remaining customers that have QPSK receivers. We also began migrating customers in approximately ten percent of our local markets from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 receivers. We are implementing this receiver migration to conform to the capabilities of our EchoStar XVIII satellite, scheduled for launch during the fourth quarter 2015. The estimated incremental subscriber related expense for these receiver migration efforts during the next two years is not expected to exceed $100 million. Both the schedule and the incremental costs of these receiver migrations could change due to many factors, including, among other things, satellite health and capacity."

I can see this doesn't mention the 8psk conversion to WA. Is the conversion to WA being 8psk just speculation on our part, or is it definitely happening?

once that make the transition to 8psk they will free up bandwidth to add some new hd channels which i am hoping for some like 24/7 RSNS or shortstvhd.Directv is starting to add lots of new hd they just added two new hd channels that is on the new D14 satellite.WETVHD,Sundancetvhd and bbc world HD.is coming to directv they are in test right now.

It's not the contract negotiations, etc. It that Dish has yet to do what his competition does to get new subscribers: Hand new subs a $200 gift card, which is really the same as $200 cash. The competition is paying people $200 to switch to them. Dish has finally countered with a more indirect and less appealing way of handing out $200, and that is ONLY if the new subscriber does not SAVE that much in a year with Dish. Offering free iPads, old ones at that, aint the same as people drooling over the gift card with which they can buy what they please. I know of several who have gone with DirecTV ONLY for that reason and a few went back to cable for similar offers. Well, Charlie is just going to have to give people money like his competitors do IF he wants subscriber growth, but handing out cash turns Charlie into a pillar of salt!

Meanwhile, as usual, even with the drop in subs, which is miniscule, it is clear that the numerous and high Dish fees in our bills have cushioned the sub loss pretty well, as this has been the trend for YEARS now at Dish. However, I also believe that current subs upgrading to the Hopper is what has really pushed profits up while losing a teeny-weeny number of subs because the fees, in many but not all, cases turns into a net higher monthly fees when all the Hopper fees are added up, but this ALSO means that Dish subscribers who do upgrade to Hopper have greater satisfaction and see the value of the Hopper in their home and gladly pay the slight bump up in fees because they feel the Hopper is a great enhancement.

However, and this is all speculation, it sure seems like Charlie probably told Joe it was time to go because of consistent subscriber loss even after all the extra expensive advertising and new and talented marketing people. I think Joe did a GREAT job considering Charlie would NOT give people $200 in a gift card to switch to Dish like his competition do. Let's face it, dangling $200 in front of people (and paying any ETF's) is like dangling that chicken over the crocs and gators: people well SNAP at that and grab it fast, as I have seen quite a few people do.

And one has to feel a little sorry for the whole Dish staff who will endure the return of the dark prince in daily control of Dish. Joe classed up the place a bit while treating staffers something like adults. We could see some of those Joe brought in bailing Dish once they get the full Darth Ergan treatment with rumored loud beratings, daily scream-fests, and just plain ignoring his staff and unilaterally making decisions on his own. I won't get into the Egran stopwatch as staffers dare to get to work ONE MINUTE late, etc. There is always the chance that Charlie has changed and is a kinder, gentler barefoot boy from Tennessee. Somehow, I doubt it. My condolences to the entire Dish staff.

But let us remember something: Dish had already begun this same pattern of tiny subscriber loss but increase of profits under Ergan as CEO, and part of the reason Joe was brought is was not only to allow Charlie to focus on the big wireless picture, but because everything Ergan tried to increase subs did not work, and so it seemed a good time to let someone else as qualified as Joe take a crack at it. I wonder if Joe pushed for the $200 Gift Cards but Charlie said, "No!" Kind of like when Lee Iaccoca was trying to persuade Ford, in a documented shouting match, to start building smaller more fuel economy cars, but was told, "No." And Ford paid dearly for NOT doing just that.

Well, here's to Chuck's return. Let us hope it is a positive change. Is this the 3rd time Charlie has had to return as CEO of Dish? Too bad we don't have those Charlie Chats anymore because Charlie was unintentionally entertaining with his brand of media fire and brimstone. At least we can expect more DRAMA at Dish.

I do not disagree with having him in the business, or even in a high rated position in the company. I just think he lacks the fortitude to do anything of great significance for the good of the company. Thats why I wanted Han as CEO and wouldnt mind Clayton as COO. That would be a great balance, and Vegas could still happen the same way, but there would be someone who needs to make the right decisions at the top. Someone that truly does deserve to be there as well. Thats just my opinions though. I have no personal issue with Joe, he is a cool guy and one of the most fun on a stage, which would be a huge difference to Han. Just not ballsy enough to tell Charlie no....that was my biggest thing.

But according to allegations, not ballsy enough to tell Ergan "No" when Bernie was given the clear indication that he needed to make certain political campaign contributions. No one really can tell Charlie no because it is Charlie's company and he controls it, and he is mercurial, and he makes decisions based on his own thinking, not anything any of the thinking the corporate officers at Dish attempt to contribute. and that may NOT be help to Charlie turning things around. Sometimes Charlie Ergan can be his own worst enemy.

It seems like they have been doing this upgrade for ever. Western arc should of already been changed out to full mpeg 4 already. Eastern arc is full mpeg 4 and has been since 08 when it debuted. Here we are seven years later and they still are in transition?
And then there are the subscribers who gripe that they don't want to change their equipment. This was eve after offers of equipment change-out without new contracts.

The EA was easy because the East Coast subscribers wanted it.

Lay this on the old equipment subscriber hold-outs, not Dish.

And then there are the subscribers who gripe that they don't want to change their equipment. This was eve after offers of equipment change-out without new contracts.

The EA was easy because the East Coast subscribers wanted it.

Lay this on the old equipment subscriber hold-outs, not Dish.
Somehow I just can 't agree with you on that one. This has been because DISH didn't want to pay to upgrade those subscribers. They were hoping that churn would do the job for them. They just recently took the 501dvrs off the market and those came out back in 2000 or 2001. So that is a long time to keep a receiver in commission. DISH is cheap and it is run by Charlie Ergen who is the cheapest of them all. Being penny wise and pound foolish is what got DISH in this mess.

I wouldn't exactly say that Dish is in a mess, if you are talking about loosing a few thousand subscribers. The company continues to make profits, they launched the first true OTT "cable" type service, and own billions in spectrum that evidently Charlie must have a plan for.

From watching him on videos from CES and Team Summit, he seems to be down to earth and approachable.
Joe and I have sat down a few times and have had some amazing talks and we didn't discuss anything about DISH. I have done the same with Charlie, both are just real down home folks who have to put on their game face when its time and do their thing. Joe has always done better at getting his mission of vision across, while Charlie still speaks off the cuff.

Joe could take a fresh turd hold it up in the air on a plate and tell you how great that turd is and within a few moments you yourself would believe its the greatest thing too. He is a showman an and great leader. This year at CES we did talk for a bit and I told him he looked a little tired this year, he told me he was trying but he is not getting any younger.

He's a very nice guy, very stern when he needs to be but if you treat him with respect you will get the same in return. I think CES is going to be a very lonely place without Joe there. Charlie is not a guy who will sit in the booth for all of CES and take every question as they come. Charlie will sit in the booth for a few moments and look uncomfortable sitting out there then leave. hes not the people person like Joe is and I say that with no disrespect to anyone.

One thing I will admit in talking with Joe is he didn't know the technology like Charlie does, so interviewing Joe was hard as you didn't want to stump him asking him a technology question. but Charlie himself he loves talking tech.

With that said I am going to miss Joe.

Reactions: TheKrell
I would agree with the comparisons, as far as marketing a product I just think back to the various new services and not sure we would see the enthusiasm from Charlie when it came to marketing BB@Home with blockbuster and other various products. I think Charlie would be a facts person while Joe would market why you need to have it

I wouldn't exactly say that Dish is in a mess, if you are talking about loosing a few thousand subscribers. The company continues to make profits, they launched the first true OTT "cable" type service, and own billions in spectrum that evidently Charlie must have a plan for.
Hopefully Charlie has a plan . I am really curious when he will get around to announcing what the hell it is. Unless he wants to give up all that spectrum for nothing in two years to the government.

Hopefully Charlie has a plan . I am really curious when he will get around to announcing what the hell it is. Unless he wants to give up all that spectrum for nothing in two years to the government.
Don't forget he was a professional gambler. He knows when to hold his cards and wear a poker face.

He definitely has a plan. As he has said, the tv delivery business is saturated and the days of rapid growth are gone. At best, they can hope for a 1 percent growth rate, but more realistically maybe a 1 percent decrease each year. So, he will continue to use the satellite cow to fund new ventures (but all cows eventually quit producing milk).

He has leveraged to the gills, betting on the new spectrum. Now that he has the spectrum, he better find some partners with delivery systems to get it to market or the FCC will take it back and he will be left with the bill. And the clock is running out on the 'in service" dates.

What if none of his needed partners comes to his dance and instead, they stand in a circle and watch him squirm as he goes down in flames?

I think he needs another Joe to make his plans work. He should pay John Legere (T-Mobile) whatever it takes to make it happen..

He definitely has a plan. As he has said, the tv delivery business is saturated and the days of rapid growth are gone. At best, they can hope for a 1 percent growth rate, but more realistically maybe a 1 percent decrease each year. So, he will continue to use the satellite cow to fund new ventures (but all cows eventually quit producing milk).

He has leveraged to the gills, betting on the new spectrum. Now that he has the spectrum, he better find some partners with delivery systems to get it to market or the FCC will take it back and he will be left with the bill. And the clock is running out on the 'in service" dates.

What if none of his needed partners comes to his dance and instead, they stand in a circle and watch him squirm as he goes down in flames?

I think he needs another Joe to make his plans work. He should pay John Legere (T-Mobile) whatever it takes to make it happen..
I agree with you on T-Mobile merger/or buy out. The problem is that Charlie has had a hard time working with others when he buys a company. If you notice the creators of SLING left shortly after Echostar bought the company. I am betting that there might be a problem with Charlie working with John and treating him like an equal in the merger or out right buyout of the company. But if he can put the ego aside and do what is best for both companies and ultimately the consumers , it would be just what they need to take DISH and T-Mobile forward into the future.

Reactions: nelson61

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts