Dish Chairman Ergen to Add CEO Title

I think he needs another Joe to make his plans work. He should pay John Legere (T-Mobile) whatever it takes to make it happen..

But if he can put the ego aside and do what is best for both companies and ultimately the consumers , it would be just what they need to take DISH and T-Mobile forward into the future.

I have the gut feeling of T-Mobile especially after john leger's comments.

As a T-Mobile sub, I hope not.

Not good . DISH keeps losing more subs than it gains , but strangely the profits and sales keep going up on the backs of the remaining subs. It is way past time for DISH to shake up the programming packs and make more ala cart options for their subs. Instead of three main packs, how about doing smaller packs and charging less for each? How about lowering or eliminating some of the charge it, because we can, DISH fees? IN the end, the company is heading for stagnation if it keeps losing more subs than it gains. Great equipment with cutting edge features isn't going to save you ,if no one can afford to sub to your service. DISH is supposed to be the low priced leader in the industry and now it seems to be the lesser of the two evils, when it comes to the two sat services. Time for a change and a shake up in the satellite industry, if DISH is going to survive long term, and I don't mean Sling tv. Forced bundling will be the death of pay tv.

I agree about DISH need more option about package, at least make one without sport channels. HOW is a basic for $20.00 that including ESPN via IPTV, that including great channel like TNT. I need a package that including TNT, TBS, FX, SY-FY, REELZ, for series and movies lovers, a package for them are needed.
About cutting edge technology, the DISH's dvr technology is a B grade. There need some improve, like record automatic from the beginning of the programing, if i decide to keep the current program and not lost of the buffer if make a stop recording.

I agree about DISH need more option about package, at least make one without sport channels. HOW is a basic for $20.00 that including ESPN via IPTV, that including great channel like TNT. I need a package that including TNT, TBS, FX, SY-FY, REELZ, for series and movies lovers, a package for them are needed.
About cutting edge technology, the DISH's dvr technology is a B grade. There need some improve, like record automatic from the beginning of the programing, if i decide to keep the current program and not lost of the buffer if make a stop recording.
Dish has the most award winning DVR from any of their competitors... I fail to understand how that is B grade. As ANY technology needs improvements, humans(Americans in particular) will never be satisfied with anything we get. For the old timers on here... If someone told you about the Hopper 20 years ago... Would you have laughed at them?

Reactions: TheKrell
Dish has the most award winning DVR from any of their competitors... I fail to understand how that is B grade. As ANY technology needs improvements, humans(Americans in particular) will never be satisfied with anything we get. For the old timers on here... If someone told you about the Hopper 20 years ago... Would you have laughed at them?
I'd have to say that if the Hopper series has a 'B' grade, then the rest must be at most a 'C'!

Not perfect but excellent in most ways and very good in others. 20 years ago I would have wondered what you were smoking if you brought out specs for a new thing called the Hopper. 20 years ago they couldn't have done it at all imo.

Reactions: ChadT41
I'd have to say that if the Hopper series has a 'B' grade, then the rest must be at most a 'C'!

Not perfect but excellent in most ways and very good in others. 20 years ago I would have wondered what you were smoking if you brought out specs for a new thing called the Hopper. 20 years ago they couldn't have done it at all imo.
20 years ago I remember learning how to set the time on the VCR to record the Simpsons, so I could watch it on my giant 32" CRT TV. 20 years ago, I remember my parents getting pissed at us, because we forgot to rewind the tapes before taking them back to Hollywood Video and Blockbuster, and they got charged for them. Now, I can do this magical thing, and order almost anything on demand, or via Netflix, and all I have to do is change the channel to channel 370. Will we ever be happy with what we have, or will we always feel the need to say "even though tou do all this, you're not exactly like the other guy, and they can do one thing, so you suck". I have heard people complain because Dish doesn't have YouTube, which is something I would love, and DTV does. Well, I'm sure Netflix is a bigger draw for some, if not most, than YouTube. Next comes the argument, "well I can get Netflix in all my other devices, so I do not care about it". Well, I can get YouTube on all my other devices, and typically, because YouTube is short videos and typing those long names in, I'd rather just watch them on phone/tablet/laptop. Netflix is typically going to be 22+ minutes. Making that long typing in one screen worth it, in my humble opinion.

Is Ergen retaking control of Dish a sign of what's next?
Feb 23 2015, 21:08 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor
http://seekingalpha.com/news/231877...q:4d4424dcc78763ff756643c229af19c8#email_link
It hasn't gone unnoticed by Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) watchers that Chairman Charlie Ergen has retaken the chief-executive helm -- which has provided no end of speculation as to what Dish plans to do with all the wireless spectrum it's acquiring.
Like Seinfeld, Ergen has noted, sometimes nothing happens and then the plan becomes clear -- suggesting that instead of cashing out assets or selling to a big rival, he may be ready to charge aggressively into wireless mobile competition.
While many observers conclude that Dish is investing in valuable spectrum to sell it, Ergen has pursued both MetroPCS and Sprint before to get into the wireless phone business.
Miriam Gottfried at the WSJ notes that in a mature industry, Dish is looking more like a spectrum holding company with a satellite TV business riding along.
Ergen's still showing as few cards as possible: "I think virtually everything that somebody suggested on this call" are potentially options for Dish, he said in today's earnings call. He noted the outcome of mergers like Comcast/Time Warner and AT&T/DirecTV will help shape Dish's future.
Deals are still on their radar: “We don’t have everything we need in terms of assets," he said during the call, with particular words of praise for T-Mobile (NYSE:TMUS).
Q4 earnings http://seekingalpha.com/news/2316416-dish-loses-pay-tv-subs-ergen-returning-to-ceo-chair

Somehow I just can 't agree with you on that one. This has been because DISH didn't want to pay to upgrade those subscribers. They were hoping that churn would do the job for them. They just recently took the 501dvrs off the market and those came out back in 2000 or 2001. So that is a long time to keep a receiver in commission. DISH is cheap and it is run by Charlie Ergen who is the cheapest of them all. Being penny wise and pound foolish is what got DISH in this mess.

Exactly correct. Let churn work its way through the old customer base, and then you have the holdouts that will be with Dish forever that really are the only ones worth investing an upgrade in.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Yea HOW ABOUT ADDING MORE TUNERS?

1. If i turn the receiver, the buffer start in DISH DVR. When you Turn on a Directv DVR receiver you are able to rewind the live programing at least 90 minute.:facepalm
  2. While i watch a live programing and i decided to keep them i need to rewind (up to 60 minute) and then REC. While in Directv you hit the REC button the DVR keep the full buffer (or at least the begin of the start time in the EPG).:facepalm
  3. You stop the Recorder function, you lost the buffer in DISH DVR, While in Directv DVR you still able to rewind.:facepalm
  4. If you set to record a program that start in 5 minute, the receiver will be change tune, even if the second tuner are available (in my 722K). (may be is fault of the user, :coco)
  5. The 722K forget the second audio, when change the tune, (i need to go to the menu and select accept, even if the alternate audio are still active).:smash
The only advantage of the DISH DVR over DIRECTV DVR is the "LIVE" Function.

While i watch a live programing and i decided to keep them i need to rewind (up to 60 minute) and then REC. While in Directv you hit the REC button the DVR keep the full buffer (or at least the begin of the start time in the EPG).:facepalm
That is actually more flexible than what DTV does. You can rewind back to any point you want to record from (not just the entire buffer, and not just from the beginning of the current program).

Of course this truth will somehow be seen as fanboy pom-pom waving...

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts