Dish Change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RAL686

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Central Oregon
When switching to a DVR receiver, will I have to change out my dish? I beleive that the dish I have is a simple 3 LNB Dish, but I beleive that only 2 of the 3 LNB are being used. I beleive that you need to change the dish out for a HD Receiver. Just wondering if you need to change it for a DVR. Thanks

Depending on your setup... If I follow you, you're saying you have a phase 3 dish with 3 lnb heads. The dish has a built in 4-port switch to allow 4 active lines. If you have only the one receiver in the house, you are ok. If you have another DVR and a standard box, or 3 additional standard boxes, you will need to have a Multiswitch installed so that you can go beyond the dish's built in 4 available ports since each DVR requires 2 lines to be able to record 2 shows, or watch 1 live show and record another.

Long story short... unless you are going to HD, no new dish required, just possibly another device.

I have 2 receivers on this dish, don't know their models, about 4 years old. There are two lines from the dish that go to a switch. If I do plan to go to DVR, I will only add it to the Living Room. Sounds like I am going to have to run a second cable from a multiswitch to the receiver. So your saying that I don't need a new dish, just another coax from switch to Living Room. Thanks again for your help..

Last edited:
Correct. As long as you are just getting a Standard Def DVR, you only need to run the extra line from the switch to the box.

If you switch to HD, then you need the new dish and quite possibly multiswitch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts