Dish commercials running long on Fox News again

n3qnj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
This was a problem several years ago. I'm not sure who the twits are that let this happen and can't do simple arithmetic, but it is highly annoying. At about 20 minutes past the hour, FNC has a hard network break, where Dish and other cable / sat providers can run their own commercials. There is a set time limit before the programming comes back on. For some reason, Dish periodically runs their commercials longer and thus cuts into the programming.

I'll be calling their tech support again on this, but it's usually an uphill battle even convincing the people on the other end of the phone that Dish even RUNS commercials at all.

Very frustrating.

No but they'll log the call, and point me in the right direction. It's actually a sad thing that the only contact we have can't help when we try to point out that they are doing something wrong that is negatively impacting their programming. If a paying customer calls in to tell them there's a problem, they should have a method of dealing with the problem. But I guess not.

I assume a national commercial starts then the Dish one cuts in about 3 seconds later?
If so that sounds like the station (fox news) isnt getting their cue tones set up properly for the cable company/dish/direct to start their ads

Nope, I don't think that's it. The Dish ads seem to start on time perfectly. When they're over, for example, the host is in the middle of a question for a guest that has already been introduced and welcomed to the show. It's running long by 15 or 30 seconds probably.

This happened before at Dish. Twice. The first time I tried to get it fixed took several weeks. The second time took considerably less time, but still took a few days. I actually had their director of technical services (or something like that) call me personally, apologize and give me his personal cell phone number. This was a few years ago, and I have since moved and lost the number. I wish I still had it!

We'll see how long it takes this time. I placed two calls. The first guy offered no help at all, which seems totally unacceptable to me. Front line support folks need a way to deal with any problem anywhere in the system. The second guy said that he'd report it to engineering. We'll see... there's a break coming up...

[edit]
Well, that break went off without a hitch. We'll see if it stays fixed.

I have seen the same problem. The network goes into a hard break and Dish runs their commercial about 10 secs to long (estimate). But to be honest I haven't watched since last Tuesday because of personel issues so I don't know if they are still doing it.

Jeff

Sooo... your cable/sat provider's ineptitude influences what channels you watch?

Yeah, that makes sense.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Don't call Dish, Call Fox News. It's their broadcast time they are stealing. 10 seconds x 10 times per week x however veiwers they have is big money. The broadcaster knows the right phone numbers to call......

You're barking up the wrong tree. Don't call Dish, Call Fox News. It's their broadcast time they are stealing. 10 seconds x 10 times per week x however veiwers they have is big money. The broadcaster knows the right phone numbers to call......

Here's a series of emails between Dish and myself which I initiated 3/19:

To: <care@customermail.dishnetwork.com>
Subject: Re: Programming
When watching Fox News HD and you are running Dish commercials during a station break, the length of the commercials is longer than the slug provided by Fox resulting lost Fox program material. Can you fix this or should I notify Fox of this problem?

On Mar 20, 2009, at 1:18 AM, <care@customermail.dishnetwork.com> wrote:
Thank you for your email.
We understand your concern. On the other hand, please be advised that Dish Network is not responsible for any of the programming content or commercial shown on stations carried on the satellite. Each network has control over its own programming and advertisement lineup. Any questions or comments regarding a network's programming content should be addressed with that network directly.

To: <care@customermail.dishnetwork.com>
Subject: Re: Programming
The commercials I'm talking about are those supplied by Dish and are only seen only by Dish customers. I believe they are inserted at the uplink site filling a slug in the program created by Fox. The commercials run longer than the slug.

I will appreciate you looking further into this problem. I think Fox News would have a serious problem with this, if notified.

On Mar 20, 2009, at 8:49 PM, <care@customermail.dishnetwork.com> wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Your input is important to us in determining what changes we need to pursue in the near future. We assure you that we will forward your comments and concerns to the appropriate department.

Today the problem was fixed.

Tiggers

As Iceburg said sounds like a trigger problem. That or traffic at Fox was giving the wrong amount of time for SLOT. It's all automation and is triggered by cues sent out from the net that they are over riding. Sounds like the two traffic departments are now in sync.

If the break were simply shifted by mis-timed tones, then we'd be seeing the beginning of Fox's commercial before the Dish commercial kicked in, yes? We're not seeing that.

Either way, I'm glad to see that it may be fixed.

It doesn't seem to be fixed. I was watching Fox last night at it was happening, then again it happened this morning. It seems to be happening at 25 and 55 after the hour, during those breaks. It's always the same 3 E* commercials in a row.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts