dish complaints

excableguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
can't get anywhere with dish when I call---
I've got HD, but can't get Buffalo Sabres games in HD when they're broadcast as such, on an Alternate Channel. (that's the way I find it).

Also asked, why they don't show something new under 'free preview' channel for the month for people like me who already have these channels? I pay for these channels, so why don't I get a 'free preview' of channels I don't have? HBO,Showt, etc.

I've got a 625 dvr, and it's still hanging in there, by the way.

I've got HD, but can't get Buffalo Sabres games in HD when they're broadcast as such, on an Alternate Channel. (that's the way I find it).

Also asked, why they don't show something new under 'free preview' channel for the month for people like me who already have these channels? I pay for these channels, so why don't I get a 'free preview' of channels I don't have? HBO,Showt, etc.

Dish does not have the Sabres games in HD because the Dolans who own MSG won't allow it as of now. That is the reason Dish doesn't have the Rangers,Islanders or the Devils in HD either. Also Dish doesn't have the room to do all games in HD so they would do would they do during the baseball season and that is jsut do a certain amount of HD games each night. If you want HD all of the time you have to switch to Direct TV. I was with Dish until this past summer for over 12 years but since they told me it would be at least another year for more sports (MSG) in HD it made it easy to switch. Are you in the Sabres area?

I hope that the note about having a 625 dvr was just a side note, because if you're thinking of getting HD on a 625 it won't happen, unless I'm misinformed.

HD looks good

In the first reply, the Sabres' home games are mostly in HD, viewed in the buffalo area (I'm just outside of erie, pa).

As far as my dvr, I get an excellent HD picture on it.

In the first reply, the Sabres' home games are mostly in HD, viewed in the buffalo area (I'm just outside of erie, pa).

The Sabres home games are all in HD but Dish does not have the rights to show them in HD, only in SD. If you want to see the Sabres in HD this year you'll have to go to cable or Direct TV, you're out of luck with Dish.

You're not getting HD if it is a 625. The 625 is not an HD dvr, perhaps you mean 622 which is an HD dvr.

Correct, the picture may look good but if he has a 625 DVR he is watching SD only.

I don't believe dish will sell the HD package unless there is at least 1 HD box in the house.

I suspect typo and he really has a 622.

As for MSG in HD, I believe the dispute is the Dolan's want DISH to provide MSG to all subscribers. No other Regional Sports Network is insisting on this to provide a carriage agreement.

Despite being a NY Rangers fan, I put the blame for this one squarely on the Dolan's.

Unbelieveable..
Question...I need your thoughts on free previews for those who subscribe to the "everything pack".. Should Dish send those subscribers a check or offer a credit on their bills.?
Why are you looking for Sabres games on "alt feeds"...Are the Sabres not on MSG?
Oh, MSG HD is NOT available to Dish subs due to a dispute between Dish and Cablevision ( Owner of MSG)
One other thing...the 625 is a standard definition receiver. To receive HD, you'll have to upgrade your receiver and antenna.

Trust us, what you're seeing is not HD.
You need not turn to alternate feeds for Sabres games. According to Directv's RSN search tool, you are in the territory of the Sabres and MSG is one of your RSN's...
Once again, you may be getting a somewhat clearer image, but it it most definetely NOT HD...

The Dolans Dispute is not only with Dish but also FIOS. Cablevision which owns the MSG Broadcasts, along with Comcast which owns the Philly Sportsnet channel and the local teams, refuse to make available their HD Broadcasts to certain rival competitors in the area, even though the FCC and the US Federal Court says they have to.

So your options for the Sabres games in HD are like this. You either sub to TW if it is available to you or Directv. Subing to TW will give you the Sabres Games in HD, but you will lose your NFL Network and HD Net, You will also get a ton of VOD, a local 24 hr News Channel, and a local TW Sportsnet Channel that will show local sports programing, Yankees programing and MLB Network, plus in my case CBC and CTV out of Canada which gives me all the Hockey Night in Canada Broadcasts and most recently CTV is putting out a TSN Sportscentre on Sunday afternoon at 4pm which takes you to all the 1pm games finishing up.

I am told that Directv will give you the Sabres Games in HD, however I do not know for whether you will receive a pre and post game show though. Someone whom subs to Directv can fill you in with that.

Islandguy stated it correctly about getting Sabres games in HD via Dish.....probably not happening any time soon.

The DVR of my 625 just died. I can't record anything, can't watch anything on the DVR, and I only get about 2 days worth on the guide. I've had it since I started with DISH in 2005 or so. I am "Dish N It Up" and getting HD tomorrow (a 722, I believe). We'll see how that goes.

The Dolans Dispute is not only with Dish but also FIOS. Cablevision which owns the MSG Broadcasts, along with Comcast which owns the Philly Sportsnet channel and the local teams, refuse to make available their HD Broadcasts to certain rival competitors in the area, even though the FCC and the US Federal Court says they have to.

So your options for the Sabres games in HD are like this. You either sub to TW if it is available to you or Directv. Subing to TW will give you the Sabres Games in HD, but you will lose your NFL Network and HD Net, You will also get a ton of VOD, a local 24 hr News Channel, and a local TW Sportsnet Channel that will show local sports programing, Yankees programing and MLB Network, plus in my case CBC and CTV out of Canada which gives me all the Hockey Night in Canada Broadcasts and most recently CTV is putting out a TSN Sportscentre on Sunday afternoon at 4pm which takes you to all the 1pm games finishing up.

I am told that Directv will give you the Sabres Games in HD, however I do not know for whether you will receive a pre and post game show though. Someone whom subs to Directv can fill you in with that.
Ah yes, that is correct. Cable companies owning sports teams and RSN's ( Comcast) are deliberately keeping or attempting to make inconvenient viewing of their teams and channels to non-cable subscribers. They simply do not want the competition.

k

Islandguy stated it correctly about getting Sabres games in HD via Dish.....probably not happening any time soon.

The DVR of my 625 just died. I can't record anything, can't watch anything on the DVR, and I only get about 2 days worth on the guide. I've had it since I started with DISH in 2005 or so. I am "Dish N It Up" and getting HD tomorrow (a 722, I believe). We'll see how that goes.

722k ? If so pay 30 for the 2 tuner OTA module. Then you can record 2 sat & 2 OTA.

Thanks, everybody

Once again, thanks for the info from everyone...

Yes, I have a 622 receiver.

With the 'pissing match' going on with MSG/Dish, I thought about going to Direct tv, but I understand that they don't have a dual dvr machine, like the 622.

That's a deal breaker for me. It's the reason why I got into Dish in the first place...used to be Time Warner cable, but couldn't stand it.

Looks like I'll wait it out and in the end watch my Sabres' in SD when it comes back. Just hope that Rick Jenerette hangs in there for a couple more seasons!

With the 'pissing match' going on with MSG/Dish, I thought about going to Direct tv, but I understand that they don't have a dual dvr machine, like the 622.

That's a deal breaker for me. It's the reason why I got into Dish in the first place...used to be Time Warner cable, but couldn't stand it.

Looks like I'll wait it out and in the end watch my Sabres' in SD when it comes back. Just hope that Rick Jenerette hangs in there for a couple more seasons!

You might want to sub to NHL Game Center Online. You may get to see the games there on your computer, until or if Dish and MSG settle.

That's a deal breaker for me.

The HR24 from D* (and Im sure a lot of previous models... I am not a D* expert at this point) are "dual DVRs". They can record 2 things at once. They can't record THREE or 4 things at once like the E* DVRs. But you can record 2 things while watching something you have previously recorded.

We make HEAVY use of both of our E* DVRs right now so I had to take a serious look at how we would schedule recordings on the D* DVRs, but it worked out fine. So.... onward and upward. :)

The HR24 from D* (and Im sure a lot of previous models... I am not a D* expert at this point) are "dual DVRs". They can record 2 things at once. They can't record THREE or 4 things at once like the E* DVRs. But you can record 2 things while watching something you have previously recorded.

Do they have dual output like the E* DVRs, or do you have to watch everything in the same room?

Do they have dual output like the E* DVRs, or do you have to watch everything in the same room?

No dual outputs from what I can tell, but the current promotion has packages that include an HDDVR and an HD receiver for free. Get the Whole Home DVR service (for $3 a month.... included in some of the packages) and that plain old HD receiver can "see" the stuff that's on the DVR and play it back. This also frees up a tuner on the main DVR so you can still record stuff while watching TV on the main.

The E* receivers can definitely do more at the same time. But the D* receivers can see each other's recorded content using Whole Home DVR. So with a little planning you can probably figure out something that works nicely for you.

Is it the same? No. Can you still do what you want? I'm guessing you can figure it out as long as you understand you won't do it the same way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)