Dish Continues to Lose Pay-TV Subscribers

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Dish Continues to Lose Pay-TV Subscribers http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-continues-lose-pay-tv-160602110.html
T-Mobile–Dish Network Merger Update..(Continued from Prior Part)..Dish’s shrinking pay-TV subscriber base..In the previous parts of this series, we learned about some of the benefits that Dish (DISH) would get from a merger with T-Mobile (TMUS). We learned that Dish could gain access to the fastest-growing US postpaid subscriber base—and that much of this base is made up of high-value postpaid phone users. The T-Mobile merger would also give Dish the opportunity to use the wireless carrier’s expertise to deploy service on its spectrum holdings. This would be particularly significant for Dish considering its dwindling base of pay-TV subscribers.

That has to be from Q1, the Q2 conference call is not until next Wednesday, so the subscriber loss/gains for Q2 will not be out until then. That is old information, something that we already know.

Reactions: navychop
Maybe we get the new smaller/more focused DishTv bundles coming soon?
Ergen expects pay-TV providers, including Dish, to continue adjusting the product bundles offered to consumers.

As Charlie has stated many times the Sat. TV market is mature. No where else to go but into decline. Sling TV is the new, efficient product for Dish as well as their quest to be the last mile broadband supplier, this is where the growth is. Out with the old and in with the new.
You think the numbers are bad now, just wait till AppleTV and the slew of new competitors start entering the market. This is just the first inning.

Sling TV, he said, adds "a totally different dimension" to Dish's pay-TV business, which is now mature and declining,

Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen says there’s “no question” that the company’s new online video service Sling TV “will cannibalize our business.”

Ergen described Sling TV as becoming "more and more prevalent in our business model and the
way we deploy capital."

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ergen-sling-tv-not-good-it-needs-be-technically/2015-05-11

http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2015/03/25/dishs-charlie-ergen-says-sling-tv-will-cannibalize-business/

http://news.investors.com/051115-75...ling-ott-subscribers.htm?ven=djcp&src=aurlabo

With PITA management and access to DVR content, and higher and higher fees with fewer worthwhile channels in the packages, Dish will probably lose us soon as well. I wouldn't mind paying $70-80/mo if I was getting dozens of channels I actually cared about. The real number is probably under 10.

I don't expect them to have as big a loss as last quarter. I think part of that was due to the Fox News dispute and they had another pretty big one in Q4 '14. I do not see them loosing any more than any other provider. I guess we will find out next Wednesday.

Odd how some here want to blame Dish for the increased cost of business. I know I'm definitely feeling the squeeze. I'm near $100 a month, and only have 200 and Starz (at a discount). But it is the only legal way to get the EPL. There are no alternatives.

Well, they've got me as a customer for as long as they're in business, thanks to the 10-12 TB I have stored on my EHD's. I have gotten to the point where I watch more saved content from EHD's than I do from Netflix and Dish combined. In fact, I haven't watched Netflix in several months, and if I start canceling things, Netflix will be the first to go.

When I do watch Dish, I seldom look beyond the dozen or so channels in my Favorites list, but I figure I'm paying to watch the channels I want to watch, and I wouldn't care if I was paying $80 a month for one channel, provided it never repeated itself and put out something that entertained me three or four nights a week. Obviously no one channel can do that, but the dozen I watch are enough to do that.

I share the pain about property taxes though, there doesn't seem to be a ceiling to mine either.

Well, they've got me as a customer for as long as they're in business, thanks to the 10-12 TB I have stored on my EHD's.....When I do watch Dish, I seldom look beyond the dozen or so channels in my Favorites list.....

I share the pain about property taxes though, there doesn't seem to be a ceiling to mine either.
I have not had any problem with Dish. Everything works fine and I really like the Hopper. If my money tree in the back yard would only come up with a few more leaves, I would not leave Dish.

If everyone whored themselves out for Dish, they could potentially get $50 off each months for 10 months and have that continuously happen. That would likely help some folks.

As long as Charlie refuses to hand out the $200 gift cards his competitors do, Dish will continue to either lose or not gain subs. However, Dish continues to increase profit? At least Dish is way ahead of the pack with SlingTV, and I don't think the other services are going to be that big of a threat because the numbers I'm seeing with Xbox and hearing in regards to Apple and others is a $50+ price point, and that puts people very close to what they pay today. The SlingTV $20 price point is far more in line with what people are willing to pay, at first, anyway, and then adding channels a la carte after that. That model is also more appealing to what people seem to want.

As long as Charlie refuses to hand out the $200 gift cards his competitors do, Dish will continue to either lose or not gain subs. However, Dish continues to increase profit? At least Dish is way ahead of the pack with SlingTV, and I don't think the other services are going to be that big of a threat because the numbers I'm seeing with Xbox and hearing in regards to Apple and others is a $50+ price point, and that puts people very close to what they pay today. The SlingTV $20 price point is far more in line with what people are willing to pay, at first, anyway, and then adding channels a la carte after that. That model is also more appealing to what people seem to want.

Actually Dish does offer gift cards. I'm not sure on the dollar amount but I get "we want you back" letters with gift cards from Dish all the time since canceling a couple years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)