Dish Could Be Droping More Channels Soon

Not according to the Cincinnati newspaper and the broadcasters last night on FOX sports Ohio during the Reds win.
Both sources say that TNT and TBS have exclusive rights and the World Series has NEVER been on any FOX RSN

And if you read my post, I said local Fox affiliates. In other words, the Fox Broadcast channel. RSNs have never had the LCS or WS. TBS only has divisional rounds. Look it up.

Scott,

Does the current Fox dispute have anything to do with 24/7 HD RSN's to your knowledge?

Could a resolution change Dish's current handling of HD RSN's?

And if you read my post, I said local Fox affiliates. In other words, the Fox Broadcast channel. RSNs have never had the LCS or WS. TBS only has divisional rounds. Look it up.

Not in my area I went to the site that FOX has up and entered my zip and it said that I would lose FOX sports Cincinnati NATGEO and FX.I think that my local FOX over the air station is locally owned and it is NOT owned by FOX.
Also in an earlier post some one posted that we will still have the other FOX news stations and we will only lose the RSNs and NETGO and FX.

Scott,

Does the current Fox dispute have anything to do with 24/7 HD RSN's to your knowledge?

Could a resolution change Dish's current handling of HD RSN's?

No, it cannot have anything to do with that, because Fox Sports just signed a contract with DirecTV to allow DirecTV to show FS+ in HD only when there is a live match.

So, Fox Sports clearly could care less whether one of their channels is in HD 24/7.

No, it cannot have anything to do with that, because Fox Sports just signed a contract with DirecTV to allow DirecTV to show FS+ in HD only when there is a live match.

So, Fox Sports clearly could care less whether one of their channels is in HD 24/7.
the plus channels are usually not full time anyway. They are usually used as an overflow channel

I just need some clarification. I entered my zip code on that page and it said nothing about losing FSN Pittsburgh, which is my local FSN. It did not list FSN Pittsburgh among the channels affected by the dispute. This is in contradiction with what has been said in this thread. I just want to double-check on this.

Since originally posting this, I went back to that site and, as it stands, I would lose perhaps 11 of the stations in the multi-sport pack. No big deal as of now. I will not lose any sleep over this.

Last edited:
Its strange that DirecTV's rates have pretty much stayed the same with zero disputes while Dish's are creeping up WITH disputes.
Seriously? Do you really think they don't have disputes? I'll say this again---Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps dish just doesn't cave as easily as the other providers?

How long was Versus off DIRECTV?

Lets not say this does not happen on DIRECTV.

I fear in the future we will see this happening more to ALL providers. :(

btharner said:
I entered my zip code on that page and it said nothing about losing FSN Pittsburgh, which is my local FSN. It did not list FSN Pittsburgh among the channels affected by the dispute.
That's because FSN Pittsburgh is owned by DirecTV, not Fox.
Its strange that DirecTV's rates have pretty much stayed the same with zero disputes while Dish's are creeping up WITH disputes.
jonesy99 said:
Seriously? Do you really think they don't have disputes? I'll say this again---Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps dish just doesn't cave as easily as the other providers?
Yes, but more importantly, has it occurred to anyone that just because Dish Network tends to have more disputes does not correlate that Dish Network doesn't cave as easily. We simply don't know. We've heard of a few wins, but other outcomes, such as the Viacom/CBS dispute about six years ago was quite detrimental to Dish Network.
Scott Greczkowski said:

About the same amount of time it was off of Dish Network four years ago. And truthfully, I fully expect a war between Dish Network and Comcast over Versus during this next go-around.

I just need some clarification. I entered my zip code on that page and it said nothing about losing FSN Pittsburgh, which is my local FSN. It did not list FSN Pittsburgh among the channels affected by the dispute. This is in contradiction with what has been said in this thread. I just want to double-check on this.

Since originally posting this, I went back to that site and, as it stands, I would lose perhaps 11 of the stations in the multi-sport pack. No big deal as of now. I will not lose any sleep over this.

You are CORRECT and Scott is wrong. Not all FSN's are owned by News Corp, and Pittsburgh is one of them. So not all of them are affected by this dispute.

When News Corp started the Fox Sports Net regional sports networks, they started some of them from nothing and bought others. FSN Pittsburgh was one of the ones that News Corp bought.

Today, FSN Pittsburgh is owned by (Wait for it) DIRECTV!

This from Wikipedia:

"FSN Pittsburgh is a regional sports network owned and operated by DirecTV Sports Networks. FSN Pittsburgh started out as KBL, which was owned by Prime Network. It was a network of Prime SportsChannel America when Prime and SportsChannel America merged. In 1996, Fox Sports Net bought out Prime SportsChannel and changed KBL to FSN Pittsburgh.

In 2006, News Corporation gave FSN Pittsburgh to Liberty Media, in a stock swap between the two companies of the DirecTV stock. On May 4, 2009, DirecTV Group Inc. said it would become a part of Liberty's entertainment unit, part of which would then be spun off as a separate company called DirecTV which would own FSN Pittsburgh."

A great example of what is called the corporate double-helix at work!

I fear in the future we will see this happening more to ALL providers. :(
Not to mention, even though Dish does get in more disputes than any other provider (or at least it seems that way), these disputes help other provides as Dish establishes a standard or base price that other providers can use when they negotiate with these same companies.

In short, Dish's fights help all of us

Last edited:
I fully expect a war between Dish Network and Comcast over Versus during this next go-around.

The only way there will be a war over Versus (or any other Comcast-NBC-Universal entity) anytime soon is if the Comcast-NBC-U merger dies.

If Comcast wants that baby approved during the next two years (they say it will close in December but I'll believe that when I see it), they are going to have to make a lot of objecting entities happy, including Dish, Directv, ATT, TWC and every other Cable-Internet provider you can think of. Under the Obama administration, the FCC, FTC and the Justice Department have made it clear that you have to go the extra mile to make all the objectors happy before they will even look at mergers.

The only way to get that merger approved will be for Comcast to make all the multichannel providers happy with long-term deals, probably with provision for arbitration at the end of them.

the thing is that's A LOT of channels to disappear of a package in one shot. There is a lot of college football games that would be affected. Dish would have to reduce the price of the sports pack if that many networks were be taken from the package.

I signed up for Dish in the 90s, and did a self install on my first dish, specifically to get FSN North so I could watch the Minnesota Twins. Overall, I've been quite happy with DishNetwork.

As regular season baseball is almost over, the sports nets won't be a big issue for me until next spring. Come spring training, however, I will have to consider my options if the FSNs are not on Dish.

the thing is that's A LOT of channels to disappear of a package in one shot. There is a lot of college football games that would be affected. Dish would have to reduce the price of the sports pack if that many networks were be taken from the package.
Actually not because the college football games on FSN Pittsburgh are usually the same ones as those on the other RSNs. Once we get to college basketball season though, then there is more of a diversity of games on the various RSNs and that is where I may start to miss the channels that may or may not be there come November.

I signed up for Dish in the 90s, and did a self install on my first dish, specifically to get FSN North so I could watch the Minnesota Twins. Overall, I've been quite happy with DishNetwork.

As regular season baseball is almost over, the sports nets won't be a big issue for me until next spring. Come spring training, however, I will have to consider my options if the FSNs are not on Dish.

The Twins are also one of the main reasons I signed up (even though they are choking like dogs now), but I just signed up literally less than two weeks ago. I have 60 days to cancel without getting charged termination fees, correct? I realize I probably would incur some costs, but it would be better than being locked in (somewhat) for two years and not having one of the main programs that I signed up for.

The Twins are also one of the main reasons I signed up (even though they are choking like dogs now), but I just signed up literally less than two weeks ago. I have 60 days to cancel without getting charged termination fees, correct? I realize I probably would incur some costs, but it would be better than being locked in (somewhat) for two years and not having one of the main programs that I signed up for.

I've been out of contact for quite some time. I'd suggest reading your contract to see what ETF fees would apply. I doubt they give you 60 days to cacel with no fees.