Dish customers with DSL

sbsi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Can a defective Dish Network receiver (referring to the phone jack on the receiver connected to the phone line) have any affect on the DSL speed and connection?

I have been getting slow internet speed on my DSL and when I unplug the line connected to the Dish receiver, everything goes back to normal.

yep, without filters you can easily get reflection from any electronic device. I had similar issues with an alarm system.

With filters, should be no issue.

You should have a filter on anything that isn't the DSL modem itself. If you don't, those devices can affect the DSL connection negatively as well as the DSL connection can affect those devices negatively (clicking, popping, etc.).

It seems to be a common problem. Course, sometimes the filters are crap too or someone has installed them 'the wrong way'. The 'tail' of the filter should always be *away* from the device. It generally does matter.

Can a defective Dish Network receiver (referring to the phone jack on the receiver connected to the phone line) have any affect on the DSL speed and connection?

I have been getting slow internet speed on my DSL and when I unplug the line connected to the Dish receiver, everything goes back to normal.

IIRC the sat receiver would only make calls in the middle of the night so it really shoudn't affect your DSL connection.

IIRC the sat receiver would only make calls in the middle of the night so it really shoudn't affect your DSL connection.

I believe this is incorrect. Having the receiver plugged in and unfiltered will still cause problems even if the modem is not actually dialing.

I was fortunate in my house I had a second line that I had stopped using years ago. It only went to 2 jacks. We filtered my DSL outside in the box and then used the line2 as DSL and line1 is just phone equipment and no filters in the house :)

Just because it isn't calling out doesn't mean that the device isn't shooting nastiness toward the 'rather fragile' DSL segment of the copper wiring.

The filter protects the DSL connection as much as it protects the devices. It sounds like clicking to a standard phone device and it is annoying as hell.. :)

thanks for all the replies

the filter is brand new. i plug in the phone line connected to the receiver onto the wall (phone line to DSL filter to the wall) and i got the slow speed. when i unplug, everything was back to normal. either the phone jack is causing the problem or the receiver. i have been using that phone jack for years since i got Dish and DSL at the same time. recently i notice this very slow speed on my DSL and i unplug every phone to see what is the problem.

There are bad batches of filter out there. Since self installs are the norm tech and customers find out the hard way. Back when the install was free, techs could weed out bad filter batchs within a week or less of use and quit using the batch. I have a 8 year old filter that is fine but had 3 year filter fail. bad out of the box is possible. Try swapping filters with another location in the house, without plugging in the suspected one and see what your speed does. That should at least tell you if the trouble is at that location or follows the filter.

i am not even going to call customer service and talk to someone from another planet. last time i call any customer service, they just blame everything on me and reject answering the question to the problem. cheap labor purpose for big companies.

I installed a 'house' DSL splitter outside and ran a home-run into the house.

Any time I've used the self-install splitters, I buy 2Wire brand ones off ebay.

The Excelsus Z-Blockers I've had problems with sometimes. They're the most common used by DSL carriers since they're cheap as hell. :)

check with your dsl company first. many have inline fliters now, whic eliminate the need for line filters

... We filtered my DSL outside in the box and then used the line2 as DSL and line1 is just phone equipment and no filters in the house :)
In the early days of DSL.... The phone company would install THE filter in the junction box and run a separate wire to the DSL modem (unfiltered). This is much better for several reasons.

* one filter for all phone outlets means fewer dangley bits to get unplugged
* a new continuous phone line for the DSL modem
* one place to trouble shoot for filter issues

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)