Dish deactivates bad receiver before i can tranfer dvr

Rocket J Squirrel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 16, 2014
s.colorado
The box never worked properly since the Cui "upgrade". Either way my sentiments on the CUI are know.
So the hws died, the HD checked out fine on dishes end according to the tech. After several attempts, the ethernet cable finally connected the boxes together, my files, are there,561 files. 261 of them are music going back to when sirius was allowed to record. So all is good and i press the "watch tv" button. Then i can hear the bad receiver rebooting. After a one hour phone call to a dish tech i get a maybe it will stay on long enough to transfer a few files at a time. Tired, i give and and say what can i do? I'll give it a shot just for my music files tomorrow.
Today i prepare to start again.. the ethernet wont even connect. So i connect a usb cable and connect boxes. All my files are still in there but i still cant transfer between boxes via usb. So i decide to try to transfer to an ehd but i dont want to risk corrupting my only ehd that has enough space. i call dish and get a no go on a deal for an ehd.
Anyway, one last check on the bad receiver before i decide to go to walmart and look for an ehd under $100 which is about all i can afford right now and.... it shows HD at 2% full when it was 41%. I hook up the old box to a tv and its now on the activation screen. Now the old box is stuck on activation screen since it cant get a signal which was why its being replaced. The boxes no longer connect through the usb cable now
So, Dish deactivated the box before i could even try an ehd transfer.
I had hope until i checked on the old box and saw the activation screen. But still, any suggestions? Any help from DIRT for some recourse?

I'm not quite following the whole story but my question is did you call DISH and have them deactivate it? If the receiver can't see the satellites it is possible the HWS does deactivate on it's own.

I specifically asked that i keep the box until i was done transferring. They said i had a month before i would be charged for the old box. I assumed since the tech call was about transferring my recordings and the box wouldn't stay on for more than a few files at a time. They seemed to understand.

When i transferred from my hws to an H3 and back to hws- (That story is documented on this site but that's that).- I didn't have this problem while keeping the boxes for a week or so,

OK i know my writing style can be hard to follow.
So, long story short:
I cant transfer DVR content from defective HWS to replacement HWS because DISH deactivated the defective receiver before i could transfer the content.
Despite doing this before on another replacement receiver.

Are you certain it was deactivated? My experience has been you have to physically tell them to do it. Getting a replacement box isn't a trigger meaning the old one and new one will be on your account unless you cancel the old one.

Well, when i hooked the bad hws to the tv when i decided to try the ehd route, the hws was on the activation screen.
And just one of the problems with the bad receiver was that it couldn't get a sat. signal. So it is stuck on that screen since it cant activate without a sat. signal. When i could get the dvr menu to show up i could actually watch a dvr movie or event or w/ever.

Aaand.... got an email from dish saying the "old" hopper has been deactivated.
As i stated in my original post, i hooked up the two boxes with a usb cable and the dvr from the "old" box showed up on the "new" box. It showed DVR 41% full and i could see my thumbnails. About 15 minutes later it showed DVR 2% full. Then the "old" hopper disappeared off the new hopper and wouldn't connect again.
The box is defective and wont even reactivate. Let me state again, the box cant get a signal.
Unless DISH takes the box and extracts the files for me they are gone.
Any takers on those odds?

You are suppose to use a Ethernet cable for transfer between boxes not a usb cable if my thinking is right. hard reset both boxes with the Ethernet cable connected and try that.

As i stated in my original post, i hooked up the two boxes with a usb cable and the dvr from the "old" box showed up on the "new" box. It showed DVR 41% full and i could see my thumbnails. About 15 minutes later it showed DVR 2% full. Then the "old" hopper disappeared off the new hopper and wouldn't connect again.
The box is defective and wont even reactivate. Let me state again, the box cant get a signal.

If the box can't get a satellite signal then wouldn't it be impossible for it to receive the deactivation signal that comes from the satellites?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I don't know. The CUI wont t let me play my music files like a jukebox like i had been able to do since i had a 722 anyway.
Files are gone and unless DISH lets me take the HDD out and put it in a good hopper guess im done.
Thanks for playing goodnight

I'm almost sure that when I did my upgrade from Hopper/Sling to Hopper 3, the Sling was deactivated prior to me transferring my recordings, which I successfully did via Ethernet cable

Things i have stated since my first post:
Ethernet transfer failed.
I never said i could transfer via usb cable.
DISH has sent me an email stating the "bad" box has been deactivated.
All i wanted were some suggestions. And i get "use the ethernet cable." "you cant transfer using a usb."
Sorry if im glib but Damn, read the posts before you want to tell me whats what.

I missed it, but how long has the new box been active? Seems like in some cases it could take a few days before the transfer will work and Dish has been so negatively chaotic with spur of the moment software changes, anything is possible

Reactions: pattykay
Things i have stated since my first post:
Ethernet transfer failed.
I never said i could transfer via usb cable.
DISH has sent me an email stating the "bad" box has been deactivated.
All i wanted were some suggestions. And i get "use the ethernet cable." "you cant transfer using a usb."
Sorry if im glib but Damn, read the posts before you want to tell me whats what.
[So I connect a USB cable and connect boxes] Why don't you read your own Damn posts.

What partysox said... and, you've had 38 posts total on this website. Not one of them has been about a positive experience. If i were you I'd go somewhere else....

Reactions: HipKat
When you exchange(RA) a box, the one being returned is deactivated once the new one is activated. This shouldn’t effect the transfer. They still have the same account key. Your box likely has just gone kaput. Also, it takes up to 72 hours for the new box to have all features active, including transfer. I am not going to go back and read your posts, because there is a certain level of “I know better than everyone else before I ask” in them, but hopefully this gives you some answers.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)