dish decline

They have not launched a Sat since 2010 (Echostar 15) and have none planned.

Bookworm370, do you have any links for what you posted here?

Here is a story about it-

Dish Network’s Satellite Fleet-

Thanks Bruce

I thought SpaceX had a couple of EchoStar satellite launches. Well, yes, EchoStar XXIII launched 3/14/2017, but not for ConUS. There, they mentioned a 15 year design life, so any EchoStar satellite launched before 2007 would be End-of-Life next year.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I thought SpaceX had a couple of EchoStar satellite launches. Well, yes, EchoStar XXIII launched 3/14/2017, but not for ConUS. There, they mentioned a 15 year design life, so any EchoStar satellite launched before 2007 would be End-of-Life next year.
NASA Logo, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
  • Friday, 24 December 2021
NASA Space Science Data Coordinated Archive Header

Echostar 23​

NSSDCA/COSPAR ID: 2017-014A

Description​

EchoStar XXIII was constructed by Space Systems Loral (SSL), based on the SSL-1300 bus. The satellite was originally constructed as EchoStar XIII, or CMBStar, which was intended to be used under a partnership between EchoStar and the Chinese government to provide s-band mobile video broadcasting during the 2008 Summer Olympics.
The program was abandoned in April 2008, after construction was complete, when it became clear the satellite would not launch in time for the Olympics – although the reason stated for the cancellation was that performance specifications had not been met. The EchoStar XXIII satellite was ordered in 2014, to reuse the spacecraft which had been constructed for the earlier mission. The large antenna which would have served mobile users of the EchoStar XIII satellite has been replaced with four Ku-band antennae with thirty-two transponders, while the satellite is also able to offer S-band and Ka-band communications.
The satellite has a design life of fifteen years and will begin its service life in an orbital slot at a longitude of 45 degrees West. However, it is able to operate in any of EchoStar’s eight geosynchronous slots allotted to Ku-band broadcasting satellites.

Alternate Names​

• Echostar23

Facts in Brief​

Launch Date: 2017-03-16
Launch Vehicle: Falcon 9 Full Thrust
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral, United States

Funding Agency​

• Echostar Communications Corporation (United States)

Discipline​

• Communications

Additional Information​

Questions and comments about this spacecraft can be directed to: Coordinated Request and User Support Office

NSSDCA Master Catalog Search​

[USA.gov]
NASA Logo - nasa.gov

More recent than 2010..

2017, only 4 years old. And they relocated EchoStar 23 to the 110 slot, so it's the new 110.

More recent than 2010..

2017, only 4 years old. And they relocated EchoStar 23 to the 110 slot, so it's the new 110.

not what you wrote-

Considering that they just launched another one about 8 months ago and have future launches still scheduled and orders in for more what would be care about the future life of the 'existing' satellites. I don't think anyone brought up anything about remaining?

Reactions: MrDRC
Another article

Also known as echostar 24

Yep, same Satellite.

What some may not understand is Echostar makes Satellites that are not for Dish Network but for other things, like Hughesnet, services in Europe or for a provider supplying video and data connectivity worldwide to broadcasters, content and internet service providers, mobile and fixed network operators, governments and institutions (EchoStar 105).

Oops, it was March 16, 2017. I took the bit at the end of the SpaceX launch video coverage as an indication it was the fourteenth.

So it looks like about 5 more years or so and satellite tv will be about done. Hopefully broadband will be installed across the country so everyone can get a good internet signal and speed by then and can go with streaming. I can see DISH just concentrating on Sling tv and their wireless cell service. These yearly price increases on programming are also hastening an end to satellite and cable tv. But I see by then streaming services will simply become the new cable/satellite model with yearly price increases and bundles . They will then cook the goose that layed the golden egg once again. Pushing more people away from any pay tv service for live tv.

I think we’ll see another big jump in the amount of subscribers jumping ship. The endless disputes are getting old. Dish is particularly popular in the Northeast and now they dropped NESN. Huge Dish proponent here, but this is likely the end of Dish for me.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Everyone has disputes, or just jacks up rates way too fast. Dish has learned to make money without the sports fiends, who will find alternative sources for their sports fix.

I suspect Charlie is not clueless, nor is he stupid. If I’ve learned anything, it’s to not bet against Charlie Ergen.

This Hopper Plus may well make satellite and Internet seamless. Becomes moot for those without good Internet once StarLink and others bring high speed Internet to the entire country. AND Dish has some bandwidth to sweeten the pot for terrestrial delivery.

I believe there is AT LEAST ten years of Dish satellite delivery left. And Dish will have an alternate delivery method in place long before then. Beyond Sling.

I also see rapidly diminishing value in a merger with DTV. The Dish Hopper Plus May put paid to that idea.

I would not be surprised to see a Hopper IP that uses the internet instead of satellite to deliver all of Dish Networks programming but it still has the same interface, recording capabilities with robust non-linear added on. It might take a whole lot of bandwidth maybe only 8 tuners for linear - I never come close to using even half of my 16 tuners.

None of the clunkyness you get with YouTube, Roku, Fire TV and the other nonlinear providers.

I would not be surprised to see a Hopper IP that uses the internet instead of satellite to deliver all of Dish Networks programming but it still has the same interface, recording capabilities with robust non-linear added on. It might take a whole lot of bandwidth maybe only 8 tuners for linear - I never come close to using even half of my 16 tuners.

None of the clunkyness you get with YouTube, Roku, Fire TV and the other nonlinear providers.

Take a look at what I posted on the New Hopper Plus thread.
Great minds think alike! ;)

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)