Dish dispute with KFJX Joplin

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Much as some of us suspected. I know it doesn't help your situation but I hope DISH does not cave if it means we get less control when others want whatever is being disputed.

I agree. However, I want to be able to watch shows on NBC and I'm too far or don't have the right antenna for the local station. (I think it's the antenna... But hubby won't change it out).

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Last edited:
I agree. However, I want to be able to watch shows on NBC and I'm too far or don't have the right antenna for the local station. (I think it's the antenna... But hubby won't change it out).

Tell him no new antenna no Father's Day. :devilish

Reactions: charlesrshell

NBC has a free Android app, and I presume an IOS version as well, that you can log into using your Dish account. The app streams live programming from an NBC O&O station. We get the NYC NBC station here in Vermont. We used it last night when a thunderstorm looked like it might knock out satellite in the middle of America Ninja Warrior.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I don’t think it even has to be an O&O, as my live feed on the app comes from an NBC owned by Scripps.

That's good to know. In my travels, the couple of times I've checked, it was an O&O station. Where I am right now, there are several NBC affiliates much closer than NYC, but I don't know what criteria the app uses to determine which one to use.

On edit: I just did some testing using three different Internet providers. When I connect the FireTVstick to our AT&T cell data service, the network apps use NYC stations, and when I use our Verizon cell service, the stations are all in Kansas. My third test was using the Spectrum service where I'm parked, and then I got the local stations. It's clear that the apps are using some sort of geolocation based on the Internet routing path to determine which station is selected for live streaming. That's good to know!

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
NBC has a free Android app, and I presume an IOS version as well, that you can log into using your Dish account. The app streams live programming from an NBC O&O station. We get the NYC NBC station here in Vermont. We used it last night when a thunderstorm looked like it might knock out satellite in the middle of America Ninja Warrior.

Yeah.... Mine tells me my Dish subscription does not allow me to view that content ever since the dispute.

Yeah.... Mine tells me my Dish subscription does not allow me to view that content ever since the dispute.

I would have been surprised if it had allowed you. Picture a Dish customer who drops locals. They wouldn't be entitled to the live stream, they're not subscribed to NBC. Just like you're not.

I would have been surprised if it had allowed you. Picture a Dish customer who drops locals. They wouldn't be entitled to the live stream, they're not subscribed to NBC. Just like you're not.

Actually she IS subscribed to NBC. And paying for it. A dispute doesn’t mean you stop paying for a service- it’s been temporarily removed.

Reactions: DawnB
Considering no one pays for any specific channels(exceptions not the rule), nobody pays for NBC. They pay dish for a locAls package, and a dish in return pays for channels to put in package, but remember it is sold as subject to change. While removed, customers are not paying for NBC...

Considering no one pays for any specific channels(exceptions not the rule), nobody pays for NBC. They pay dish for a locAls package, and a dish in return pays for channels to put in package, but remember it is sold as subject to change. While removed, customers are not paying for NBC...

Let’s say I’m paying $12 for locals, and they remove one, a major one like Fox, shouldn’t the fee go down to $10?

Just playing devil’s advocate here..

Since you’re not paying for a specific channel... no. The alternative is if you no longer feel the package is worth $12 with the loss of the channel(s), you can remove the locAls package and save $12/mo. If you feel you still need the other channels... well you just ran into supply and demand. Keep In mind it works both ways,.. price does not go up when they add channels to a package either.

Since you’re not paying for a specific channel... no. The alternative is if you no longer feel the package is worth $12 with the loss of the channel(s), you can remove the locAls package and save $12/mo. If you feel you still need the other channels... well you just ran into supply and demand. Keep In mind it works both ways,.. price does not go up when they add channels to a package either.

That's how it works with other packages, and some people get five or six channels and others maybe seven or eight for the same $12 so your thought holds water. That said because locals are treated differently by DISH (separated out) and by the FCC from all the other Cable channels they should be during a dispute too. (The locals could demand to be carried instead of negotiating to get paid to be - no other channels can do that)
Because locals are supposed to be getting you a signal OTA and they have a monopoly for your Market I think the exact opposite should happen with other ways to view them. If they can not negotiate to be seen by a carrier they should make sure you can do that via the internet if they provide that normally.

Reactions: DawnB
That's how it works with other packages, and some people get five or six channels and others maybe seven or eight for the same $12 so your thought holds water. That said because locals are treated differently by DISH (separated out) and by the FCC from all the other Cable channels they should be during a dispute too. (The locals could demand to be carried instead of negotiating to get paid to be - no other channels can do that)
Because locals are supposed to be getting you a signal OTA and they have a monopoly for your Market I think the exact opposite should happen with other ways to view them. If they can not negotiate to be seen by a carrier they should make sure you can do that via the internet if they provide that normally.
I do agree that the Locals should have something in place OTT... it’s new technology, and the laws haven’t caught up yet.

The problem with that argument is that Welcome Pack subscribers do not have the option to drop locals. Since locals are a major part of that package (and the major reason why many people choose that package) then Welcome Pack is the one package where subscribers might rightfully feel like asking for a discount if one or more major local channel gets dropped. There is no lower package for the subscriber to go down to, so from Dish's perspective, it is either give the discount, or lose the subscriber entirely.

At that point, it would probably be cheaper to let the customer go entirely. And they still do not subscribe to any specific channel, and all packages are sold as Subject to Change... including that channels may be removed with no expectation to compensation.

Reactions: Tampa8
At that point, it would probably be cheaper to let the customer go entirely. And they still do not subscribe to any specific channel, and all packages are sold as Subject to Change... including that channels may be removed with no expectation to compensation.
True, but Dish has set the precedent by giving the discount in the past. So, while there is no contractual expectation to any discount in these situations, there is no harm in asking for one, either. If you get the discount, great! The worst that can happen is that Dish says no, but at least you asked, and got the chance to express your displeasure while you are at it.

I have the Welcome Pack. They are sending me an indoor antenna for free due to the loss of KFJX and they were also willing to do the outdoor antenna installation for free, but I already have an outdoor antenna. So basically I’m being compensated $44.99 for the inconvenience, which I feel is fair.

Attachments

• 1E1378AB-370E-485F-A5F9-7F1EC9507ED2.png
    1E1378AB-370E-485F-A5F9-7F1EC9507ED2.png
    25 KB · Views: 127