Dish dispute with KFJX Joplin

I have the Welcome Pack. They are sending me an indoor antenna for free due to the loss of KFJX and they were also willing to do the outdoor antenna installation for free, but I already have an outdoor antenna. So basically I’m being compensated $44.99 for the inconvenience, which I feel is fair.
Plus, you got those Mrs. Fields cookies! :miam

True, but Dish has set the precedent by giving the discount in the past. So, while there is no contractual expectation to any discount in these situations, there is no harm in asking for one, either. If you get the discount, great! The worst that can happen is that Dish says no, but at least you asked, and got the chance to express your displeasure while you are at it.
I 100% agree with no harm in asking. My point being is that there is no expectation to compensation.

Actually she IS subscribed to NBC. And paying for it. A dispute doesn’t mean you stop paying for a service- it’s been temporarily removed.
NOT in NBC's eyes. Presumably the station isn't getting retrans money from Dish during the dispute. Therefore NBC isn't getting retrans money (and yes, a lot gets handled over to the network). So as far as NBC is concerned, she ISN'T subscribed. Since you have to have a subscription to access the OTT (which I don't agree with), she can't access OTT.

I would have been surprised if it had allowed you. Picture a Dish customer who drops locals. They wouldn't be entitled to the live stream, they're not subscribed to NBC. Just like you're not.

Actually, I am. And I'm paying for my locals. THEY are the ones who cut my NBC off.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I have the Welcome Pack. They are sending me an indoor antenna for free due to the loss of KFJX and they were also willing to do the outdoor antenna installation for free, but I already have an outdoor antenna. So basically I’m being compensated $44.99 for the inconvenience, which I feel is fair.

My local NBC station is VHF and approximately 50 miles away. They would need to send someone to install an outdoor antenna on my roof (I think I have a UHF up there now). Think they will?

My local NBC station is VHF and approximately 50 miles away. They would need to send someone to install an outdoor antenna on my roof (I think I have a UHF up there now). Think they will?
There is only one way to find out. Ask them!

For what it's worth, Dish did install an antenna on my roof for free years ago. It only seems to work for UHF stations, except for one VHF station only a few miles away from me, that it also can pick up.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

According to HipKat they use this one: Amazon product ASIN B01BYIUYHA
It's primarily a UHF antenna, but MIGHT work for a VHF at 50 miles away. Like crodrules said, only one way to find out!

Reactions: pattykay
Actually, I am. And I'm paying for my locals. THEY are the ones who cut my NBC off.

You might be paying for the locals, but Dish is not forwarding your money on. Therefore, as far as NBC is concerned, you're NOT subscribed.

You might be paying for the locals, but Dish is not forwarding your money on. Therefore, as far as NBC is concerned, you're NOT subscribed.

Good analysis. But I stick by the locals are different than the cable channels and should allow you to watch online, at the least shows that have already aired.

Good analysis. But I stick by the locals are different than the cable channels and should allow you to watch online, at the least shows that have already aired.
Don't disagree. As I understand it, NBC is even putting up OTT signals of each local channel (not sure where they are in that process). So you could actually watch YOUR local NBC via internet, the same signal that is OTA for free. BUT, you have to subscribe to the OTT version. Doesn't make sense to me.

29e32631-a2e8-4f30-9457-5b5657839ba2_text.gif

Don't disagree. As I understand it, NBC is even putting up OTT signals of each local channel (not sure where they are in that process). So you could actually watch YOUR local NBC via internet, the same signal that is OTA for free. BUT, you have to subscribe to the OTT version. Doesn't make sense to me.

29e32631-a2e8-4f30-9457-5b5657839ba2_text.gif

They’re following the CBS All Access model.

DawnB

I'm not sure an antenna will necessarily work for you. The terrain between you and Memphis may block TV signal unless you are on the south slope of a rise or a hill.

Run your TV Fool report to see if signal at your location is strong enough to be usable.

Last edited:
All of the Televes documentation says UHF/VHF. I'd love to hear from anyone here that has one installed to tell me how well it works.

Same here; would love to hear some real world results- I might be willing to drop $99 on one of those if it works as well as the Amazon reviewers claim.

DawnB

I'm not sure an antenna will necessarily work for you. The terrain between you and Memphis may block TV signal unless you are on the south slope of a rise or a hill.

Run your TV Fool report to see if signal at your location is strong enough to be usable.

I don’t understand all that mess....but I do understand enough to know that it says I’m only about 35 miles.....The station I’m looking into is WMCTV. I’m attaching the info here:

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1529458181.458252.jpg

Your TVFool report looks much better than the generic I got, but you still need an all channel antenna to get WMC and the other stations because WMC is channel 5 VHF low.

Not necessarily a Winegard 8200 but there are many other all channel antennas out there that aren't 15ft long that would work for you like the RCA ANT3036 - about $80.

I'd buy something like that at a place where it can be returned and put it up and see if it works.

Remember - DTV reception is more of an art than a science..

Your TVFool report looks much better than the generic I got, but you still need an all channel antenna to get WMC and the other stations because WMC is channel 5 VHF low.

Not necessarily a Winegard 8200 but there are many other all channel antennas out there that aren't 15ft long that would work for you like the RCA ANT3036 - about $80.

I'd buy something like that at a place where it can be returned and put it up and see if it works.

Remember - DTV reception is more of an art than a science..

Would this one work?

Amazon product ASIN B01MYMVPVX

It appears my link may not be working. I posted a link to a GE antenna.....model #29884

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)