Dish Disses RV HD

uts

May 2, 2009
Pacific Time Zone
Got a frantic call from my neighbor when he couldn't get a brand new Winegard CarryOut portable dome dish to work with his VIP 211 receiver that he has in his RV. The CarryOut found 110, 119 and 129 in a snap, but the receiver failed check switch when it was missing the even transponders on 129. That sounded like the same problem in
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/173155-129-211k-problem.html
and http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...acy-problems-check-switch-started-lately.html
We hooked up his portable 1000.2 and just like magic no switch problem.
Did some checking and sure enough, the CarryOut dome has a legacy SW64 switch. Dug a little deeper and found out nearly all portable and fixed mount RV dome dishes use Dish legacy LNA's and switches and not just Winegard gear either. Many RV's are SD and only look at 110 and 119, but new rigs have HD and older rigs are being upgraded. Gonna be an interesting summer when Mama can't get HGTV in HD in the Minnie Winnie.
The bad PR dam is about to inundate Englewood at a time when Dish's competitor is courting RV'ers.
Needless to say my neighbor is suffering a severe case of tight jaws.

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
Got a frantic call from my neighbor when he couldn't get a brand new Winegard CarryOut portable dome dish to work with his VIP 211 receiver that he has in his RV. The CarryOut found 110, 119 and 129 in a snap, but the receiver failed check switch when it was missing the even transponders on 129. That sounded like the same problem in
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/173155-129-211k-problem.html
and http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...acy-problems-check-switch-started-lately.html
We hooked up his portable 1000.2 and just like magic no switch problem.
Did some checking and sure enough, the CarryOut dome has a legacy SW64 switch. Dug a little deeper and found out nearly all portable and fixed mount RV dome dishes use Dish legacy LNA's and switches and not just Winegard gear either. Many RV's are SD and only look at 110 and 119, but new rigs have HD and older rigs are being upgraded. Gonna be an interesting summer when Mama can't get HGTV in HD in the Minnie Winnie.
The bad PR dam is about to inundate Englewood at a time when Dish's competitor is courting RV'ers.
Needless to say my neighbor is suffering a severe case of tight jaws.

If this is a brand new Winegard, shouldn't you be dissing Winegard instead of Dish.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
If you friend is only missing 129 even transponders, the dish needs a slight adjustment. If the dish is not configured right and is not allowing complete reception, it is a problem with the dish and not Dish Network.

Nope. Go read a little from those two threads the OP referenced.

uts

May 2, 2009
Pacific Time Zone
I appreciate all thoughts and comments on this VIP/Winegard dish conflict. We're still checking things out, so I took the Winegard CarryOut home with me and after clearing the switch matrix in my VIP722, hooked it up and got good signal strength from 110, 119 and 129. Did a check switch and got the same bad result from 129, which was missing evens, and positive results on 110 and 119.
Thinking it still might be a bad Winegard dish, I dug out a boat anchor Dish 811. Although not authorized, it still can be used for aiming and switch checking. Cleared the matrix, hooked it up to the Winegard after it found the three birds, got good signal strength, checked the switch, which the 811 identified as an SW64, and had no problems getting evens and odds on 129, as well as 110 and 119. Sorta looks to me like the Winegard works, but Dish's 129 C II or their VIP's may have a problem dealing with their lineage. Hello Englewood, ya listening?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Equipment changes- upgrades to newer technology. Dish and Echostar are under no obligation to try to keep their newest equipment compatible with outdated equipment, or competitor's equipment.

In short, Dish antennas on tripods is the way to go. Dish has never claimed it would work with competing equipment. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure the suitability of the equipment he is considering buying.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it, but there it is.

uts

May 2, 2009
Pacific Time Zone
Yep, customers be damned because you all are just beta testers anyway. I passed the last post along to my neighbor and here's his answer; "Thank goodness, we have a choice in satellite providers and I've made mine by cancelling Dish. You'll find my VIP211 on eBay."

peano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 6, 2004
Dish has got their head so far up their a$$ they don't even know about the problems with legacy stuff on 129.

Of course if they did, they wouldn't give a crap anyway.

Good for your friend canceling.

rich88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 17, 2006
Yep, customers be damned because you all are just beta testers anyway. I passed the last post along to my neighbor and here's his answer; "Thank goodness, we have a choice in satellite providers and I've made mine by cancelling Dish. You'll find my VIP211 on eBay."

So, since some of us didn't kiss you and your friend's ass, you two get your crap-stained panties in a wad and your friend cancels Dish.

Morons.

Pen15head

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2009
baltimore
dish's on obligation is to have their receivers be compatible with their antennas. they have no obligation to make sure that every receiver will work with every aftermarket dish/switch. however, winegard does have an obligation as an aftermarket manufacturer to keep their equipment compatible with the receivers they market their equipment for. perhaps they should upgrade their switch technology?

heck, for all we know winegard may be unable to put in a dishproplus style switch as dish may have patents on it. and rather then pay royalties to dish to make a proper aftermarket dish, they would rather use outdated legacy style switches.

on this note, my dish remote doesnt wont control the volume on my U.S.S.R. surplus television my parents bought for 5 bucks at montgomery wards in 1984. i guess they are pissing on me too.

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
I don't remember which satellite dish vendors, but some of them have agreements with E* and some have even demonstrated their equipment on Charlie or Tech chats.

But yeah the problem is more with these vendors than with E*.

peano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 6, 2004
Why is it a vendors fault that a switch made and sold by Dish Network does not work on 129?

Laddyboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2006
Central IL/SW FL/Big Island
Why should E* support legacy switches with new receivers? How the heck would they ever be able to phase out old tech if they continue to support it? E* has its fair share of problems, but this one is Winegard's, not E*'s.

thedamaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
South Bend, IN

Did your neighbor also inform Wingard of his problem? They are the ones to blame more so than Dish. Seems they should have done more beta testing themselves. Looking at there website they make it seem that every receiver will work just fine.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
IMHO making the even transponders on 129 vanish on legacy installations when resetting the switch matrix is just... Perverse! Dish needs to fix it.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Did your neighbor also inform Wingard of his problem? They are the ones to blame more so than Dish. Seems they should have done more beta testing themselves. Looking at there website they make it seem that every receiver will work just fine.
I think the point here is, it used to work. Dish did something that broke it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts