DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Its a shame not every customer is getting the Roku box we have changed 12 over to DTV this week and seems like every one dish we install 3 are dropping it. Our office has been installing dish since day one so it could just be some really old accounts

Saw a intresting commercial today at the gym today while watching AMC, nothing special about it, at the end it just said AMC, Available on cable and satelite, but not dish. Not sure if that's there new marketing commercial

Saw a intresting commercial today at the gym today while watching AMC, nothing special about it, at the end it just said AMC, Available on cable and satelite, but not dish. Not sure if that's there new marketing commercial

Yea thats the new ad they are running.Was at a friends house that has dtv and saw the ad.Think I might have heard it on the radio as well.

Got a call from a customer yesterday who got a free Roku from Dish. He said there's enough on there and together with his off air he doesn't need satellite anymore and will be cancelling his Dish sub. What the hell are they thinking?

Got a call from a customer yesterday who got a free Roku from Dish. He said there's enough on there and together with his off air he doesn't need satellite anymore and will be cancelling his Dish sub. What the hell are they thinking?

They're betting on people appreciating the gesture for their loss, and using the Roku on the side. As much stuff as you can get on Roku/OTA/etc. there is still tons of content that you can only get through satellite/cable.

If I were single with no kids then maybe I could get by with just a roku and ota but,with the rest of the family no way.Hard to beat the Dish dvrs too.

The answer is simple. That's a person who would have done that anyway, maybe just happened a little sooner. A Roku, Amazon, whatever does not replace what you get from Satellite or Cable, it enhances it, or you settle for less.

If I were single with no kids then maybe I could get by with just a roku and ota but,with the rest of the family no way.Hard to beat the Dish dvrs too.
My wife, kids and I were OTA and when we got HSI, streaming, for nearly 18 years. It really isn't that hard. You do need to adjust your expectations and understand you won't be watching a lot of live sports and you'll always be behind with cable-tv series. Before we signed up with Dish we were using a HTPC with a single tuner usb stick, a Panasonic dvd-recorder with a 80gig HDD, a Xbox 360 as a WMC extender, Netflix streaming and 3 disc out service. In addition to buying dvd's. So we were not wanting for entertainment.

A HTPC with Windows Media Center works just as well as any pay-tv service dvr too (actually better than most of that Motorola and SA garbage). But since we got Dish 2 1/2 years ago, my HTPC is only recording Supernatural (local CW isn't in HD) and PBS (again not offered in HD) programming.

Cutting the cord is a nice thought, I have threatened it many times. Ota & roku are great, but not a cord cutter. Streaming definitely gives some other opportunities for TV & really cutting back on the more expensive dish packages. We've been on the welcome pack for some time now & are content with ota, roku, & dish. This is as close as I will get to cutting the cord, unless the welcome pack goes away.

Cutting the cord is a nice thought, I have threatened it many times. Ota & roku are great, but not a cord cutter. Streaming definitely gives some other opportunities for TV & really cutting back on the more expensive dish packages. We've been on the welcome pack for some time now & are content with ota, roku, & dish. This is as close as I will get to cutting the cord, unless the welcome pack goes away.

Dropping down to the Wecome Pack and keeping the 722K would work very well, especially if we could keep the BB@Home package. And recording the freeviews is a great bonus. We're not ready yet to drop down though.

They're betting on people appreciating the gesture for their loss, and using the Roku on the side. As much stuff as you can get on Roku/OTA/etc. there is still tons of content that you can only get through satellite/cable.

I agree with you 100% but Dish is a programming provider without several programs that people like. Introducing people to an alternative source for the product usually isn't a sound business decision. I hope they get over the hard feelings and do what's best for business, which IMHO would be to get the AMC channels and Disney HD channels back. And while they're at it new sub sign ups would sure increase around here if they added YES and got Sports New York and MSG back. :)

The Roku makes it damn easy to cut the cord, or certainly shave it quite a bit.

As much as I appreciate Dish taking care of its customers with the free Roku's and cash credits to compensate for purchasing AMC programming, they are somewhat shooting themselves in the foot. They are giving people $60 devices, plus $120 or more in many cases, and encouraging cord-shaving.

Unless AMC was asking some ridiculous amount, which they most likely weren't, based on the quick settlement with ATT, its obviously just a personal vendetta of Charlie's to end business with a company that he feels is screwing him on a different matter. Not very professional.

i agree there is tons and tons of stuff on roku. but i wouldn't cancel dish. there would be alot of stuff i would miss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts