DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

It is a nice letter but your $200 per month is rare to E*. He can loose thousands of customers even at your rate of pay and still be on top of the deal in comparison to what he stands to loose if he gives in to each and every rate increase from all the programmers. So he is only going to listen just a little

That's pure conjecture. You don't know what each and every programmer is going to want. You don't know if they'll want any rate increase at all. Give in to all the programmers, please, Most of them will be happy with the status quo. They have to have a reason to expect a rate increase. Do they all have highly rated shows? Like the Shopping Channel is going to demand a rate increase, Or Opra. Any rate increase must be earned. AMC says they earned it and Dish say's they didn't. I'll settle the dispute right now. Give them $.35.

That's pure conjecture. You don't know what each and every programmer is going to want. You don't know if they'll want any rate increase at all. Give in to all the programmers, please, Most of them will be happy with the status quo. They have to have a reason to expect a rate increase. Do they all have highly rated shows? Like the Shopping Channel is going to demand a rate increase, Or Opra. Any rate increase must be earned. AMC says they earned it and Dish say's they didn't. I'll settle the dispute right now. Give them $.35.
If one programmer gets a big pay day why would the others not push for next time? Yes that is conjecture but based likelihood. Shopping channels pay to be on E*. Yes rate increase must be earned. AMC has 1 to 2 hrs per week of programming that's any good. 35¢ would be fine w/ me but does AMC see it that way.

I recently sent an email to Dish thru the AMC web site asking for us to let Dish know our feelings about loosing the AMC Networks. Got the standard email from the President of Dish explaining why they might drop the channels like everyone else is getting. I sent back the following response to the President of Dish (CEOofDishNetwork@dish.com) and Cc to ceo@echostar.com and charlie.ergen@echostar.com.

President of Dish Network,

Thanks for writing back. Why were the channels moved to the high 9000 series channels without notifying me and other customers? This caused me a big headache figuring out what happened. My wife is highly upset about this situation. She watches several shows on the WE channel including the hot new show Kendra On Top (me too). I also watch the AMC channel The Rifleman series faithfully every Saturday morning. It is a dear childhood show that I watched in the late 50s and early 60s when I was a kid. They are so enjoyable to watch again.

I sure hope you work out the issues with the AMC Networks. I wish when these conflicts occur you had a way to put the conflicted Network channels into a temporary a la carte package and just charge the customer for them if they want them. I know that I would be glad to have the package and not miss our favorite shows. By the way, I loved the VOOM channels and sure miss them too. I would gladly have paid an additional increase for the VOOM a la carte package you use to have. It would be nice if you brought them back.

My wife is telling me that if this isn’t worked out she wants to switch to Direct TV or ATT Uverse, or worse yet to the dreaded Cable Company. I am really happy with your company and DVR equipment and do not want to switch. I know that I have only been a loyal Dish customer since 2007, but my account includes four DVRs, Everything Pak, your monthly Dish Entertainment Program Guide, Protection Plan, and one Adult channel. My bill is over $200 a month and it is worth every penny to me. Please don’t force us to switch.

Again, thanks for writing me back. I hope you can work things out.

Sincerely,
Charlie Shell

Just for informative purposes:

You can watch "The Rifleman" on MeTV (a OTA local subchannel),also on the Encore Western channel.I like it too!.:)

Is Kendra on Top the same Kendra and Hank that's on the E network? If it is you can find a couple of those on alot of programs on different networks DISH carrys.;):D

Good Luck!:)

Just for informative purposes:

You can watch "The Rifleman" on MeTV (a OTA local subchannel),also on the Encore Western channel.I like it too!.:)

Is Kendra on Top the same Kendra and Hank that's on the E network? If it is you can find a couple of those on alot of programs on different networks DISH carrys.;):D

Good Luck!:)

Thanks for the info. Will check out the Encore Western channel. The new Kendra show is different than the Kendra and Hank show that was on the E channel but kinda more of the same. Check it out tonite on channel 9608.

If one programmer gets a big pay day why would the others not push for next time? Yes that is conjecture but based likelihood. Shopping channels pay to be on E*. Yes rate increase must be earned. AMC has 1 to 2 hrs per week of programming that's any good. 35¢ would be fine w/ me but does AMC see it that way.
Personally, I don't care who "wins" this "battle", but I love it when someone states how many "good" programs a station has, like everyone must agree with them.

powerhouse1960 said:
But will it be on Dish tomorrow ,
when the contract comes up BBCA Hd might ask for a 1/2 cent then it will be worthless and unwatched by you, right?

Right and they mention how AMC only has good ratings for an hour or 2 per week. How many hours a week does BBC have ratings anywhere close to those? My guess is none.

And people say there are no Dish fanboys.

Call me that if you want. Dish isn't the only one that has had trouble w/ them. In this thread Suddenlink had similar troubles. They worked something out after Suddenlink did something not that much different. I'm also considering adding D* guess you missed that little tidbit way back in this thread. You must have enjoyed the whiny commercial and crawls, so you must be an AMC fanboy.

king3pj said:
Right. For as much as people love to talk about BBC HD on this forum (mostly because Directv doesn't have it) the bottom line is it's a niche channel. BBC America can only dream of "the 2 hours of high ratings per week" that AMC has.

And here I thought the big reason for talking about BBCA was because people wanted to see Dr. who and Top Gear in HD.

Right. For as much as people love to talk about BBC HD on this forum (mostly because Directv doesn't have it) the bottom line is it's a niche channel. BBC America can only dream of "the 2 hours of high ratings per week" that AMC has.

I watch several shows on BBCA(HD) but I can't argue the facts of the ratings. To that extent as compared to AMC it is a niche channel. I can argue however the relevance of those ratings for this discussion vis a vis cost. If BBCA was asking to be viewed like AMC, just like AMC is asking to be viewed like USA or TNT, then I would agree ratings matter. But BBCA may know where it stands in the pecking order, AMC with demands of carrying the other channels may not.

Since I was the one who said BBCA HD is a big deficit for D*, I was repeating what I have said many times that it is one channel I am loyal to and would not switch to provider who did not carry it, as are some people ready to leave Dish over AMC. I was NOT implying it was a higher rated/watched channel than AMC.

Tampa8 said:
I watch several shows on BBCA(HD) but I can't argue the facts of the ratings. To that extent as compared to AMC it is a niche channel. I can argue however the relevance of those ratings for this discussion vis a vis cost. If BBCA was asking to be viewed like AMC, just like AMC is asking to be viewed like USA or TNT, then I would agree ratings matter. But BBCA may know where it stands in the pecking order, AMC with demands of carrying the other channels may not.

Where did you see that AMC is asking to be viewed like USA or TNT? Yes that is the opinion of some people on this forum but I don't believe anyone here knows how much AMC is asking for.

Even if they were asking for that much, part of negotiating is asking for a higher amount and then working back to somewhere in the middle. Just like Dish probably through out a number lower than the final number they are willing to accept so they can work up to the middle as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts