DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I can get the locals now OTA - I am splitting from a set-top antenna with one branch into DVR, the other straight to TV. Seems the TV receiver is a bit better than the 722. However, I would not have a DVR for the locals, which is pretty important.

People like me, where I live, are pretty much over a barrel: No broadband unless it is via smartphone/tablet, and then only unreliable 3G. Satellite for locals has improved in the last year or so, but 129 is really weather sensitive. So, no Dish means no local-channel time shifting. No E* or D* means no non-OTA TV at all. No broadband means not really watching anything other than OTA except for Netflix/Redbox/etc. It would be like 1974 all over again....

Walmart sells a DVD Recorder by Magnavox for about $225.00 or so. I purchased one a few years ago. It's got an OTA turner that works great, it records on to DVDs, CDs, or onto it's Hard drive, which I think is a 250gb. I still have it and it's a power horse. I even have it hooked up to my Hopper via a switch box, and I can burn movies I recorded on my Hopper to DVD. Of course, it's not 1080, but it still does a great job specially recording the OTA channels via it's tuner. AVS has a very lengthy thread on it, and a member name wajo (IIRC) has a sticky that tells you absolutely every thing about it.

Ghpr13:usa:

Gotta state the obvious here, since I am a jerk like that (according to my wife): Does Dish not realize that if the "Alternative high-value channels." do not include a channel that airs "Mad Men", "The Walking Dead", "Breaking Bad", "The Killing" and "Hell On Wheels" that many people are going to be very unhappy?

The whole industry is losing touch with how people watch TV these days. People do not tune in to a channel to watch that channel - they tune in to watch a show. When it's over, they are very likely to go to another channel for a different show. They are actually most likely to be watching those shows time shifted, so they are really not watching the channel at all.

TV advertisers? Sorry, the game is over. No one will watch your commercials unless they are compelling. There are some commercials that are cool/funny/whatever, and I will actually skip back to watch them. But, generally, people pick and choose the shows they want to watch, regardless of the channel, and view them in the most convenient manner.

Dish is backing people like me into a corner. If they force me to pay ComCast to run cable (the quote I have heard is really high - many thousands), or, even easier, it looks like D* has an OTA HD addon, or I can buy an OTA HD recorder and make the switch. Either way, goodbye Dish. I would hate to do it, but I would if forced....

Some good points. One other alternative is to get the episodes online. I think it was posted you can get them the next day, for a cost or wait and get them for less or free.

Dish is backing people like me into a corner. If they force me to pay ComCast to run cable (the quote I have heard is really high - many thousands), or, even easier, it looks like D* has an OTA HD addon, or I can buy an OTA HD recorder and make the switch. Either way, goodbye Dish. I would hate to do it, but I would if forced....

Dish knows this. They are willing to take the hit. If their projections are way off base, then they go back to AMC if necessary. If not they keep on going without die hard AMC fans.

...People do not tune in to a channel to watch that channel - they tune in to watch a show...
This statement should go without saying. I participate in a survey group in which this question is often asked. The gist of which is: "Will you watch your favorite television series' despite what channel they air?"

I mean really. Doesn't everyone do that? Sure there are times when "nothing is on", I may put the TV on a certain station on which there are programs that don't annoy me. But as a rule, I watch DVR'd events, the exception being live news.

Is is common for people to tune into a station simply because they like the station as opposed to being drawn to specific programs?

This statement should go without saying. I participate in a survey group in which this question is often asked. The gist of which is: "Will you watch your favorite television series' despite what channel they air?"

I mean really. Doesn't everyone do that? Sure there are times when "nothing is on", I may put the TV on a certain station on which there are programs that don't annoy me. But as a rule, I watch DVR'd events, the exception being live news.

Is is common for people to tune into a station simply because they like the station as opposed to being drawn to specific programs?

Right - even when searching for movies on premium channels, I use the Guide. I only go to the channel if I want to watch something there.

Walmart sells a DVD Recorder by Magnavox for about $225.00 or so. I purchased one a few years ago. It's got an OTA turner that works great, it records on to DVDs, CDs, or onto it's Hard drive, which I think is a 250gb. I still have it and it's a power horse. I even have it hooked up to my Hopper via a switch box, and I can burn movies I recorded on my Hopper to DVD. Of course, it's not 1080, but it still does a great job specially recording the OTA channels via it's tuner. AVS has a very lengthy thread on it, and a member name wajo (IIRC) has a sticky that tells you absolutely every thing about it.Ghpr13:usa:
This model is no longer available. It was replaced with a 500gb model that is now only available from walmart.com for $329.98. It still has the ATSC/clear QAM tuner. It's the only viable alternative to HD DVR's like the Tivo or a HTPC and people at AVS Forums give it a lot of love.I still use a Panasonic DMR-EH75V. The tuner is useless now, but like you, I connect it to my Dish DVR to make dvd's.

I still use a Panasonic DMR-EH75V. The tuner is useless now, but like you, I connect it to my Dish DVR to make dvd's.

Tuner isn't totally useless, use a converter box. I use the same unit mostly the hard drive to save absolute programming I am trying not to lose and make perhaps a copy on DVD. Using the converter box won't allow automatic tuning to the channel, but it will let you set it to at least record one.

Generally, no. But I bet people do have a go to station. Mine is USA. when there isn't much on that's the channel I turn to. Next is History or A&E. (Never has it been AMC). And that's where they get me to see some commercials.

I know that most people have a "default channel" when they want the TV on but aren't necessarily looking for a specific program. Mine is The Science Channel, second is NatGeo then the off button. If I want a specific program, it's the DVR that tunes to the program. Sometimes I don't even know what channel the program is on without actually watching the program and looking for the logos. :)

I suppose I do have a go to channel actually a couple..History and the overpriced ESPN.

Generally, no. But I bet people do have a go to station. Mine is USA. when there isn't much on that's the channel I turn to. Next is History or A&E. (Never has it been AMC). And that's where they get me to see some commercials.

agreed....sadly......AMC is not even used for background noise. They do have great original series that we DVR though.

Tuner isn't totally useless, use a converter box. I use the same unit mostly the hard drive to save absolute programming I am trying not to lose and make perhaps a copy on DVD. Using the converter box won't allow automatic tuning to the channel, but it will let you set it to at least record one.
Yes, I should have said the tuner is useless for timer recordings since I never bought a DTVPal. During the digital transition, I got my TVGOS guide from a analog channel and fooled the guide into thinking I had a DirectTV stb. The IR Blaster then controlled the converter box to schedule recordings. Worked very well until analog went away. And to be honest, there really isn't much that I watch from the locals that Dish doesn't carry or carry in HD (PBS/CW). For that stuff I use a usb tuner stick connected to one of my pcs. Much higher pq too.

Not to sway the debate either way, but couldn't this be said for most stations on an individual basis?

Yes, for sure. We really like Breaking Bad, TWD, and the other shows- but they are recorded and watched later. Like you said, about the only LIVE tv watched anymore is the news....... until football starts!

Last edited:
Notice message on AMC last night about losing channels and number to call as well as web site, the end may be in sight yet another bunch of channels gone.

If this was only about the carriage contract negotiation, and not also related to the Voom lawsuit, I think we'd have seen a speedy resolution, or at least one by June 30, due to the much-larger-than-anticipated negative customer response to Dish' actions.

But, as long as such a huge sum of money is involved from the Voom lawsuit, Dish may just ignore the normal decision-making process used during standard contract negotiations. For customer action to have a positive affect, it will take a huge and sustained push, bigger than anything seen before, in order to outweigh Dish' concern about their probable Voom suit losses. I doubt we will see a big enough push for that to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)