DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

KazooGuy said:
AMC used to be a powerful highly watched channel back when AMC actually meant America Movie Classics, now it mainly stands for Advertisers Mecca Channel.

Ever since Cablevision got controlling interest they have steadily brought it down and it is now a shell of itself; 6 minutes of programming for every 4 minutes of commercials?

Happily there still is TMC to fill the void and quench my hunger for classic old movies.

Have you ever even watched any of AMC's original programming? It all rivals HBO, and they have the Emmys to show for it.

This plus the Hopper upgrade debacle has me saying bye-bye to Dish once I clear out my DVR.

My wife and I love Hell on Wheels on AMC. New series that finished it's first season. We can't wait for Season 2. It is one of the few new western series in some time. I don't think the major networks have anything like it.

My wife and I love Hell on Wheels on AMC. New series that finished it's first season. We can't wait for Season 2. It is one of the few new western series in some time. I don't think the major networks have anything like it.

great show i enjoy it alot also :)

I really hope Dish is just using the press to aggressively negotiate here. I watch a ton of the original shows on AMC. If they are pulled at least the Hopper has DLNA so I can still watch the shows on my TV.

with this soon to happen dispute, i can pretty much point out the history of disputes on Dish to point out that Charlie isn't afraid of removing popular channels or getting into disputes with the companies that own the popular channels

2004: Dish removed Viacom owned MTV Networks, the CBS Owned & Operated stations (this was long before the 2006 split of Viacom and CBS), and BET, the channels were gone from the lineup for 2 days before they agreed on a new deal as the past deal ended before the 2 day dispute began.

2005-2006: Dish and Comcast (pre-NBCUniversal merer) got into a dispute over OLN (later re-branded to Verses in 2006 and then again to NBC Sports Network in 2012) when that network won the rights to the national cable coverage of the NHL, Comcast wanted to black out the games on Dish, but Dish decided to retaliate and pull OLN off the line up. the channel returned to the lineup in April 2006, just in time for the 2006 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2008: Dish got sued by the NFL due to removing the NFL Network from the lowest package, then known as the America's Top 100 package, placing it in the top 200 package instead, the channel was never removed from Dish completely but the lawsuit resulted in Dish and the NFL settling a year later.

2008-2009: Dish got into a carriage dispute wit Fisher Communications over the Fisher Owned & Operated stations, it started in December 2008 with the Fisher Owned and Operated local channels being removed from the lineup and this lasted from December 2008 to June 2009.

2008-present: Dish removed the Voom HD networks from the lineup which started this dispute with CableVision/MSG Network/Rainbow (AMC Networks), the company owned by the Dolan family sue Dish for "Breech of Contract" over the Voom HD channels, in 2010, two years later, Fuse was the first network of the networks owned CableVision and their spin off companies to get removed during the summer of 2010, then a few months later in October, the MSG RSNs were removed during that "Black Month for Dish", fast forward two more years to this soon to happen dispute over the AMC Networks which will remove AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel, and WE TV.

2009- present: Dish sued the Walt Disney Company for alleging that it had breached its contract by not extending the same carriage terms that Disney provided to Comcast and DirecTV for ESPN U and ESPN Classic. The lawsuit claims ESPN violated the "Most Favored Nations" clause, then Dish moved ESPN U from the top 250 to the Top 120 package while ESPN Classic would move to the Top 250 package and then the sports package. and in 2010 Dish was force to remove the HD feeds of ESPNews, Disney Channel HD, Disney XD, and ABC Family HD. this dispute also prevented Dish from getting Disney Junior and The Longhorn Network, which is the Sports network co-owned by the University of Texas-Austin and ESPN that carried Texas Longhorns sports events.

2010: Dish got in a dispute with NBCUniversal (pre-Comcast merger of course) over the carriage of The Weather Channel as the contract to carried the channel on May 20, but the channel was never removed, Dish did added a similar but not perfected weather network called The Weather Cast, but it was removed around the same time Dish reached an agreement with NBCUniversal. the dispute was over an rate increase and the fact that The Weather Channel was cutting away with more pre-taped programming and the short lived "Flick and a Forecast" movie block with weather themed movies instead of doing live weather coverage.

Also in 2010: Dish got in a four week dispute in October with New Corporation's Fox Broadcasting which cause Dish customers to lose FX, National Geographic Channel, and all the Fox owned FSN RSNs, and the local Fox & MyNetworkTV Owned & Operated stations were also in this dispute as the contract for carrying the Fox Owned & Operated locals was set to expire at the end of October while the FX, Nat Geo, and the Fox owned FSNs contract expired on October 1st.

Yet again in 2010: Dish was in a dispute with Belo Corporation over their Owned & Operated stations, they were able to settle before the channels were removed.

2011: SportsNet New York (co-owned by NBCUniversal, Time Warner Cable and the New York Mets) was removed from Dish making Dish lose the last remaining RSN in the New York City market. making it an RSN free market.

Also in 2011: in August Dish pulled the Inspiration Network from the lineup, but they reached a new agreement weeks later.

if there is any disputes i missed in this list, please add on in your post. i got the source of Dish's past with disputes from Wikipedia.

i just pointed out that Dish has had history of having disputes with media companies over carriage issues. the carriage disputes issues seems to be getting worse for the entire pay-TV industry in the last 5 years. and sorry for this being a long read.

AMC Is great. I love walking dead and Mad men. Plus great movies!
We get a chance to see unique programming...

I love watching the old movies from time-to-time, but I never watch any of their original programming. Having said this...my mom loves The Walking Dead and has telling me to watch it for the past few months. Of course, she always tells me to watch Hoarders and I'm not about to watch this kind of show. Anyway, I did watch and episode of Walking Dead and didn't like it...but I know a lot of people who do.

Holy cow! I had no idea Walking Dead has such a large viewership. These numbers are close to a hit show on the broadcast networks. I'm not sure when the next season starts (probably the fall), but there will outrage if AMC is not being carried by Dish.

"The audience of the 11:30 p.m. ET airing combined with the 9 p.m. viewership brought "The Walking Dead" Season 2 finale up to 10.5 million viewers. Overall, "The Walking Dead's" second season averaged 6.9 million viewers."

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
I love watching the old movies from time-to-time, but I never watch any of their original programming. Having said this...my mom loves The Walking Dead and has telling me to watch it for the past few months. Of course, she always tells me to watch Hoarders and I'm not about to watch this kind of show. Anyway, I did watch and episode of Walking Dead and didn't like it...but I know a lot of people who do.

In my opinion it is more of a character story based show than an event based show similar to the way lost used to be. I think it's one of those shows you need to watch in order from the beginning in order to appreciate it. You really have to keep up with it. I don't think it's one of those shows most people would enjoy by watching a random episode every now and then.

In my opinion it is more of a character story based show than an event based show similar to the way lost used to be. I think it's one of those shows you need to watch in order from the beginning in order to appreciate it. You really have to keep up with it. I don't think it's one of those shows most people would enjoy by watching a random episode every now and then.
How did we ever live before the DVR?
?

No. Sundance is now part of the Blockbuster@Home movie pack which is not part of "everything".

Yikes! Paying for the "everything" pack and not receiving everything is like a groom saying, "I'll love you for life" only for the bride to realizing that life meant until she got old or her arse grew too big for his liking. Dish needs to change the name of their everything pack...it's not the same package that I remember.

Have you ever even watched any of AMC's original programming? It all rivals HBO, and they have the Emmys to show for it.

This plus the Hopper upgrade debacle has me saying bye-bye to Dish once I clear out my DVR.

I thought my original post pretty much made it clear I do not watch this channel! I have no interest in their original programming....Oh, and bye!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts