DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Hey gpollack

I have Fearnet on Uverse. Something is going on?
Fearnet programming keeps getting smaller.
It use to be prominent in the lineup. Now it's hidden. You have to do some digging to find it.
I'm not sure Fearnet is long for this world. Just a feeling.
I heard a rumor awhile back that chiller and FEARnet may be folded into one channel. the FEARnet linear channel is fairly new. i wonder why they would be taking away programming.

gpollock87 said:
I heard a rumor awhile back that chiller and FEARnet may be folded into one channel. the FEARnet linear channel is fairly new. i wonder why they would be taking away programming.

Lack of revenue from lack of viewers, so they're trying to reduce overhead costs?

Makes sense. But I'm still believing this to be a ploy to play hardball with AMC. Dish has never been this ready to replace a dropped channel. And their statement that people don't watch is bull crap because they wouldn't be so quick to replace them, unless they knew that this decision would cause a harsh backlash.

Hardball or not, it's a dumb tactic. Why publish that they are definitely dropping the channel, no ifs, ands or buts? That doesn't give AMC much incentive to negotiate the carriage rate/conditions if Dish's stance is they are dropping the channels no matter what. Just seems dumb.

gpollock87 said:
I think dish moved amc,ifc,and we to the 390s so they can go ahead and add the replacement channels before june 30th. that is what it seems like to me.

I am still very interested to see what channels they will choose to replace them with.

In terms of We, I think all the "women's" programming channels are in AT 200 or less. The only channel I can think of that has women's programming that Dish does not offer (and DirecTV offered at one time that cable companies still offer) is Lifetime Real Women. Honestly, I was thinking Hallmark at first due to Fraiser and The Golden Girls, but Hallmark is also in AT 200.
Honestly, I am not sure that we would even watch LRW; it does not play old sitcoms and looks like mostly if not all women's programming. Lol I guess that is why it is called Lifetime Real Women.

For Sundance Channel (since it is in Blockbuster@Home), I would say Flix as a replacement. It shows movies that used to air on the old IFC.

For IFC, I am thinking possibly Starz Cinema (which happens to be in Blockbuster @ Home).

For AMC, I am not sure. They could probably add just about any movie channel. Maybe they should go with 5StarMax. :) It has an HD feed. Also, I could see Dish putting in Fox Movie Channel (but no HD feed).

Anyone else want to speculate or entertain with suggestions? Who knows? Dish may pick some of our suggestions. I hate to see any channels lost as the ones who will lose are the consumers or subs, not Dish or/and AMC Networks.

Last edited:
JeremyL said:
Hardball or not, it's a dumb tactic. Why publish that they are definitely dropping the channel, no ifs, ands or buts? That doesn't give AMC much incentive to negotiate the carriage rate/conditions if Dish's stance is they are dropping the channels no matter what. Just seems dumb.

I'm guessing that in Dish's mind, AMC is basically carried on almost every providers' basic tiers. So Dish is assuming that for AMC to lose them would start a domino effect that would be bad for AMC. It's a big roll of the dice, but it's their business model I guess.

I am still very interested to see what channels they will choose to replace them with.

In terms of We, I think all the "women's" programming channels are in AT 200 or less. The only channel I can think of that has women's programming that Dish does not offer (and DirecTV offered at one time that cable companies still offer) is Lifetime Real Women. Honestly, I was thinking Hallmark at first due to Fraiser and The Golden Girls, but Hallmark is also in AT 200.

For Sundance Channel (since it is in Blockbuster@Home), I would say Flix as a replacement. It shows movies that used to air on the old IFC.

For IFC, I am thinking possibly Starz Cinema (which happens to be in Blockbuster @ Home).

For AMC, I am not sure. They could probably add just about any movie channel. Maybe they should go with 5StarMax. :) It has an HD feed. Also, I could see Dish putting in Fox Movie Channel (but no HD feed).

Anyone else want to speculate or entertain with suggestions? Who knows? Dish may pick some of our suggestions. I hate to see any channels lost as the ones who will lose are the consumers or subs, not Dish or/and AMC Networks.
there really aren't many movie channels out there that dish doesn't carry is there?

gpollock87 said:
there really aren't many movie channels out there that dish doesn't carry is there?

Well, there are many, but I am not sure if there is one that is similar or the same as AMC. I cannot see Dish adding a main feed of a channel like HBO East HD as I am sure HBO subs would stop subbing to HBO unless it was just temporary. At the same time, if temporary, Dish could hook subs on channels that they would have to sub to or would have to upgrade their packages for. Kinda like what they do with free previews when people post what happened to this channel I used to get (when in fact it was just in free preview).

Just my two cents. Don't watch any of those channels. Wouldn't miss them. Don't care for commercial channels except Comedy Central. Replacing the AMC channels with more premiums, even at extra cost, would be my choice.

This is just part of contract negotiations, i.e. E* playing hardball.

Will Dish Network Drop AMC Networks? - Deadline.com

That is my thought..... Although I thought the same with MSG and SNY in the New York Market and I am still waiting 24 and 12 months respectively for both to return. AMC has some monster ratings with Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men (and my personal favorite Comic Book Men.... based on the guys at Kevin Smith's comic book store in Red Bank, NJ.... and since I went to school with Mike Zapcic on the show, I have watched every episode).... If they bail on these nets, D* should hammer them about the channels they don't carry to make up for the Anti D* bait and switch ads with the "free" Sunday Ticket packages......

The replacement of channels is the big question, kind of a what and if I guess.
Logical replacements would be Fox Movie Channel - AMC, Indieplex - IFC, Lifetime Real Women -WE. This way Dish only takes one channel from AT250 and adds a whole new channel. But knowing how Dish can be, we'll see the following: mun2, GAC and Rural TV moving down to the AT200, with nothing replacing Sundance. ;)

Just my two cents. Don't watch any of those channels. Wouldn't miss them. Don't care for commercial channels except Comedy Central. Replacing the AMC channels with more premiums, even at extra cost, would be my choice.

They won't replace them with an equal quality channel..... You'll get another seldom watched fishing channel or something to that effect.....

satjay said:
The replacement of channels is the big question, kind of a what and if I guess.

I remember when dish pulled Voom. Some
Of their replacement channels have been replaced. Lol. It's really a joke what dish does here.
Smithsonian channel ring a bell?
I love that channel.

BobMurdoch said:
That is my thought..... Although I thought the same with MSG and SNY in the New York Market and I am still waiting 24 and 12 months respectively for both to return. AMC has some monster ratings with Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men (and my personal favorite Comic Book Men.... based on the guys at Kevin Smith's comic book store in Red Bank, NJ.... and since I went to school with Mike Zapcic on the show, I have watched every episode).... If they bail on these nets, D* should hammer them about the channels they don't carry to make up for the Anti D* bait and switch ads with the "free" Sunday Ticket packages......

DirecTV will, and this will become an chapter in the trolling war. Here at Satellite Guys and over at the other site.

If they bail on these nets, D* should hammer them about the channels they don't carry to make up for the Anti D* bait and switch ads with the "free" Sunday Ticket packages......
Oh, you know that D* will hammer home that fact. Especially when Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead come back on with new episodes. They're probably writing those commercials as we speak. Now that might not be enough for many people to drop E*, but it probably will be enough to prevent quite a few people from signing up with them. People will hesitate signing a 2 year commitment with a provider who is willing to permanently drop popular channels. Who knows, maybe your favorite network is next?

lern4483 said:
I remember when dish pulled Voom. Some
Of their replacement channels have been replaced. Lol. It's really a joke what dish does here.
Smithsonian channel ring a bell?
I love that channel.

Wasn't Smithsonian Channel uplinked a few months ago? I know just because it is/ was uplinked does not mean it will be turned on or made available to subs...

Maybe they should go with 5StarMax. :) I cannot see Dish adding a main feed of a channel like HBO East HD .

I can assure you that they will not replace any of those channels with 5StarMax or HBO, if they did that Time Warner would pull all of the HBO/Cinemax channels from Dish so fast it would make their head spin. Not to mention the lawsuits that would ensue. I am not even sure that CBS would let them replace IFC with Flix since it is bundled with Showtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts