DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Same here. In the stone age of cable. My town and one neighboring town and one neighboring city had a 36 channel lineup. I mentioned this last fall in another thread. I think in another forum also. Anyway no AMC. In 1991, what was Continental Cablevision revamped the lineup in the city and added AMC along with 29 other channels. Showtime and TMC included. My town get the same update in 1993. The other town had to wait until 1995/96 when they took the original 36 channel lineup and just added the missing channels in a random order. Example, my town and city had HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and TMC, Disney, and our two RSNs (all premiums at the time) in order from channels 28 to 34. In the other town, HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax ran from 14 to 16, the RSNs and Disney ran from 33 to 35 and TMC was on 62. Showtime was added at an empty channel 15. Getting back on track, I agree with you.

Both IFC and Sundance were great channels when they focused on their original mission. Now.....................
and Scifi, er, SyFy, and HIST, and BIO, and BRAVO, and MTV, and ESPN Classic, and ...

The whole thing stinks. Who really suffers here? the subcriber.

Its always the subscriber that suffers in any channel carriage disputes. I wish that they would force arbitration on both companies once they reach this point in the dispute . They do it for sports teams why not tv carriage disputes?

Good post and I got to admit I keep asking the same question myself.

No skin off my back, but my wife is a big fan of Mad Men. I know she can get it later on DVD, but...

I hope you plan on emphasizing to "powers that be" with Dish, that you might run across, the size of the hornets nest stirred up on this and other Satellite forums.

What upsets me about losing AMC is the fact that they once were a great movie channel, and correct me if I'm wrong, originally showed movies without commercials. After they started changing and completely diced up every movie they showed, I pretty much gave up on them. But with Breaking Bad & Walking Dead, I made sure never to miss an episode of either. Now, even though I don't watch Mad Men, many, many people have asked if I do. These 3 shows made be all AMC has going for it, but all 3 have made a impression on a lot of people out there.

Now if Dish drops AMC, what impact will this have on not just AMC, but other channels that have started creating original programing?
We know those 3 shows must cost AMC a pretty bundle to produce, and I would guess that AMC would like to continue in that direction and new original shows to keep drawing in high ratings.

Personally, I would be extremely upset if I can't watch Walking Dead's new season, but I'm in the same boat as others...just got my Hopper, so I'm stuck.:(

Ghpr13:(

Just watch. AMC (rainbow??) will offer a standalone subscription via the web.
N

Now THERE is an innovative solution. This will only help those with streaming boxes such as GoogleTV hooked up to their TVs.... For Dish Subscribers ONLY, sell a monthly subscription directly as a "courtesy" to those impacted by their little pissing contest. It won't help the vast majority who don't want to watch their shows on a laptop, but it could be a powerful marketing tool for Rainbow. I doubt they will do it unless they outsource it to someone that could set it up quickly on their existing systems (like MLB does for a few other sports). This may be much ado about nothing as top tier basic networks like Lifetime, the Weather Channel, FX, and several others have been yanked only to be brought back within days or weeks.

The question is whether churn spikes enough to convince Ergen to move sooner or later. Lifetime and the Weather Channel caved for different reasons (Lifetime saw ad revenues plummet, while the Weather Channel was faced with Ergen's creative counter weather programming channel (anyone remember that dedicated old school type weather channel we were promised? - I am tired of trying to find out about the weather and to see another "When Tornadoes Attack!" type show on...)

AMC regularly has a notch on the top 10 basic cable shows on any given week. E* can't afford to let their competitors use the lack of this against them. Then again, I thought the same with their complete abandonment of local baseball, basketball, and hockey in the New York Market, but they still have ceded sports to D* on this front. I wonder how many people sign up for E* in our area, and then call up to immediately cancel service when they realize that they can't watch most of the games that the Yankees, Mets, Nets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, and/or Devils play.

My wife and I got into mad man via Netflix, not crazy that I may have to go that route in the future

N

Now THERE is an innovative solution. This will only help those with streaming boxes such as GoogleTV hooked up to their TVs.... For Dish Subscribers ONLY, sell a monthly subscription directly as a "courtesy" to those impacted by their little pissing contest. It won't help the vast majority who don't want to watch their shows on a laptop, but it could be a powerful marketing tool for Rainbow. I doubt they will do it unless they outsource it to someone that could set it up quickly on their existing systems (like MLB does for a few other sports). This may be much ado about nothing as top tier basic networks like Lifetime, the Weather Channel, FX, and several others have been yanked only to be brought back within days or weeks.

The question is whether churn spikes enough to convince Ergen to move sooner or later. Lifetime and the Weather Channel caved for different reasons (Lifetime saw ad revenues plummet, while the Weather Channel was faced with Ergen's creative counter weather programming channel (anyone remember that dedicated old school type weather channel we were promised? - I am tired of trying to find out about the weather and to see another "When Tornadoes Attack!" type show on...)

AMC regularly has a notch on the top 10 basic cable shows on any given week. E* can't afford to let their competitors use the lack of this against them. Then again, I thought the same with their complete abandonment of local baseball, basketball, and hockey in the New York Market, but they still have ceded sports to D* on this front. I wonder how many people sign up for E* in our area, and then call up to immediately cancel service when they realize that they can't watch most of the games that the Yankees, Mets, Nets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, and/or Devils play.

We cut the cord a few years back and made due with TIVO, hd-locals and netflix. We also get free (crappy) cable here so it was not too bad. When we got new tvs, the allure of many HD channels brought us back to dish.

over the past couple of years, we find were are watching mostly locals on dish and a lot more streaming content. We debated a few months back about cutting the cord again, but decided against it. AMC was one of the major reasons.

That said, if they do drop AMC, we will say goodbye to dish. We really like the equipment and have had no problems, but this is complete bulls**t. DisneyHD shows no signs of returning, AMC will be gone, and who knows what else is to come.

Will definitely miss the equipment, and RedZone, but not the $100 bill.

My wife and I got into mad man via Netflix, not crazy that I may have to go that route in the future
The biggest problem with that route is you have to wait at least a year for the episodes to appear on Netflix. While buying the episodes from Amazon or iTunes when the season is on is too expensive. While i do like the idea of a monthly "ala-carte" AMC package offered online to Dish customers, I'm sure it will be too expesive to be practical for most people. Especially if your paying $80+ for Dish.

We cut the cord a few years back and made due with TIVO, hd-locals and netflix. We also get free (crappy) cable here so it was not too bad. When we got new tvs, the allure of many HD channels brought us back to dish.

Will definitely miss the equipment, and RedZone, but not the $100 bill.

You went from virtually no cost to one of the highest packages...... Your bill could be much lower. If AMC (or I suppose Disney HD) means that much why not get it from your cable company?

You went from virtually no cost to one of the highest packages...... Your bill could be much lower. If AMC (or I suppose Disney HD) means that much why not get it from your cable company?

Yes, we went from virtually no cost to one of the the highes packages- at250 and it was great. Unfortunately, the content of many of the channels we once enjoyed has gone in the toilet! we freaking hate reality shows........still waiting for that fad to end.............

The free cable does not have HD. We get internet through TMC, but their HD stinks and their motorola boxes are a nightmare so we will not sub to them. We would go back to OTA + crappy cable + netflix and other streaming.

For now, it's a waiting game to see what actually happens.

I must say I enjoy Netflix and my Roku. I just can't see going to it all the time.
I prefer having all my programming on my Tv service (preferably)

Same reason I like Vod on Uverse as opposed to my Blu Ray. Yes Blu Ray is tops.
I have a ton of blu ray, dvds still in the rapper? One day ill get to them.

However, Im gearing towards using everything on one system with ease of use.
Thats why its a shame that Dish and others play these games. Now you have it, now you dont.

But it does give them a reputation as a service where people's favorite channels can disappear at any time and they have no recourse because they are under contract. Granted, cable and Directv have the same sort of programming disputes sometimes, but they seem a lot more frequent with Dish, and a lot more likely to continue indefinitely. I mean, there are some local RSNs that have been missing from Dish for several years now. I've never heard of anything like that happening with cable or Directv (Well, apart from one weird situation in southwest Virginia that eventually got resolved, I think). Disputes that go till the last minute? Yup. Sometimes even losing a channel for a week or two? Sure. But not losing a channel for years at a time with no end in site.

There was that time that DirecTV got rid of G4?.

Don't know but what I do know is when you lose 14 million subscribers the advertisers will start to ask for a rebate on the price they paid for commercials on those networks.

There will be losers on both sides,churn for DISH, loss of viewership and revenue for the networks.

But someone has to make a stand and normally it's been DISH,if not now,when?.

That's why I support DISH and I have no plans to go elsewhere,it's only TV.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)