DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Latest crawl:

Dear AMC Fans.....DISH has decided to drop us....Hop on over to our website and demand that DISH keeps us on so you don't miss the season premiere finale of Breaking Mad Men......well since it is our website we will demand it for you but we'll also demand they throw in Voom as well....if that doesn't work switch to AT&T.....umm, wait, that might not be a good idea....instead switch to DirecTv....um, wait, the latest rumor is that soon DirecTv will only carry sports programming that DISH does not carry....in that case switch to Comcast.....um, wait, even we can't believe we just said that.....so your only choice is Cablevision......but don't worry, they will never drop us as their business model is to do the exact opposite of everyone else....we're also part of the Dolan family so unless there is a family argument over Thanksgiving dinner about whether The Walking Dead is really about the NY Knicks or not we should be safe....

(Repeat until July 1st, someone blinks or this thread breaks 5,000 posts)

No envy involved. I just believe in equality. And I think there should be limits to any individual to prevent anyone from hogging an unreasonable share of the earth's natural or financial resources. People should be in business to provide society with quality goods and services. Profit should be secondary to serving the public good.

Latest crawl:

Dear AMC Fans.....DISH has decided to drop us....Hop on over to our website and demand that DISH keeps us on so you don't miss the season premiere finale of Breaking Mad Men......well since it is our website we will demand it for you but we'll also demand they throw in Voom as well....if that doesn't work switch to AT&T.....umm, wait, that might not be a good idea....instead switch to DirecTv....um, wait, the latest rumor is that soon DirecTv will only carry sports programming that DISH does not carry....in that case switch to Comcast.....um, wait, even we can't believe we just said that.....so your only choice is Cablevision......but don't worry, they will never drop us as their business model is to do the exact opposite of everyone else....we're also part of the Dolan family so unless there is a family argument over Thanksgiving dinner about whether The Walking Dead is really about the NY Knicks or not we should be safe....

(Repeat until July 1st, someone blinks or this thread breaks 5,000 posts)
The dolan's suck and there greed is our of control!!! :eek:

AT&T has jumped into the AMC fight... and they are on DISH's side.

AT&T Joins Dish In Fee Fight vs. AMC

Interesting, I wonder why the AMC/ATT contract wasn't mentioned before, since it expires at the same time the AMC/Dish contract does. While U-Verse isn't as large as Dish, it is growing at a really nice rate. And ATT is willing to drop channels too (see Hallmark). I have a feeling that AMC will reach a deal with both providers before Breaking Bad season 5 starts.

AT&T U-verse May Drop AMC Nets On June 30 - 2012-06-28 11:22:26 | Multichannel News

According to AT&T, AMC is asking that the telco pay nearly double what it believes other pay-TV operators do, including a smaller-size competitor. "We believe the rates they are seeking are disproportionate compared to the viewership we see across their channels," AT&T said. "We don't think that's reasonable, especially in these economic times, and we will continue to work toward a fair deal.

AMC demands ARE disproportionate to what they have delivered, whether you consider it quality programming, original or not. They are risking the loss of viewers in what is really a niche market, by strong-arming providers. Maybe they are losing sight of the fact they are still a 'cable channel', and distribution of content can be funneled down relatively easily by providers.

AMC demands ARE disproportionate to what they have delivered, whether you consider it quality programming, original or not. They are risking the loss of viewers in what is really a niche market, by strong-arming providers. Maybe they are losing sight of the fact they are still a 'cable channel', and distribution of content can be funneled down relatively easily by providers.

how do you know this? they are a top 20 network.
what are they asking for?
what are the others getting?

unless all figures are released we dont know

I guess that's a downfall of making AMC its own publicly traded company. #1 goal show value to share holders.

Earlier this week, I think on Monday, I heard a radio commercial telling people that DISH was planning on dropping the AMC networks and to make the switch to AT&T U-verse...whoops.

You are reading my quote completely wrong, and by the way, don't put words in my mouth. Potential viewers are what advertisers want to know. The networks are the ones who pray on rates. Advertisers want to know exactly who is viewing what. Also, why do you think these networks are attacking Auto Hop? Advertisers won't pay squat if they know potential viewership will go down. How can they tell that people won't want to watch the ads? Perhaps even DVR the shows are watch them live? Potential viewership is a key ingredient, being affective is another talking point for another discussion.
You can't even keep the same theme in a single post. First... "Potential viewers are what advertisers want to know." Next... "Advertisers want to know exactly who is viewing what". Which is it? Those two numbers are different. Potential viewers would be the total number of subscribers (plus however many extra in a household) a network has. That number is the exact same 24 hours a day. It's the same at 2am, 2pm, and 8pm. Who is viewing what depends on the show (if it's good, more people watch. If not, not so much).

YOU brought up the subject of specific products in specific shows. Again, that comes down to the target audience for the show. A show targeted for 18-20year old males will try to sell to advertisers with products that demographic will buy.

how do you know this? they are a top 20 network.
what are they asking for?
what are the others getting?

unless all figures are released we dont know

I stated an opinion.
I was only commenting on what I've observed happening. My only point being that providers do have a fair amount of control over cable/sat networks, in contrast with major OTA networks, for example.
I'm not sure the significance of 'top 20', but whatever the others are getting, is apparently not a problem for the providers, in most cases or I think we would know about it. Others have said the demands appear disproportionate to what they provide, I'm not the only one, why are you picking on me? (just kidding, you don't need to answer that!) :)

sam_gordon said:
You can't even keep the same theme in a single post. First... "Potential viewers are what advertisers want to know." Next... "Advertisers want to know exactly who is viewing what". Which is it? Those two numbers are different. Potential viewers would be the total number of subscribers (plus however many extra in a household) a network has. That number is the exact same 24 hours a day. It's the same at 2am, 2pm, and 8pm. Who is viewing what depends on the show (if it's good, more people watch. If not, not so much).

YOU brought up the subject of specific products in specific shows. Again, that comes down to the target audience for the show. A show targeted for 18-20year old males will try to sell to advertisers with products that demographic will buy.
Read earlier posts. I just edited this post because I really am not in the mood to continue this mindless argument with you. You aren't worth my time Sam. You jump into a conversation late read one of my responses to other post and have twenty comments. This is something I will make sure I don't do in the future to others. I did make sense. That's all I have to say to you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)