DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Tampa8 said:
I emailed back to them, politely, that at this time I do not miss AMC, and the one show that we did watch at times is available other places on the internet, but thanks for the email. :)

Ha ha ha. I did something like that too. I have watched more movies on hdnet movie then amc

rajmarie said:
Ha ha ha. I did something like that too. I have watched more movies on hdnet movie then amc

I laughed at this but then got to thinking AMC might just take a page from Showtime's book and make it impossible to watch their top shows like dexter with out a paid subscription to their service. Looking at their app it looks like the supported provider list is very small as well.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Yeah I wonder too where they are getting this addresses. I have not received an email. I wonder if they are buying them somewhere. Be interesting if people that don't even have DISH are getting them.

Anyone that provided their email address at keepamcnetworks.com, and/or a registered user of AMCTV.com is getting the emails.

I have heard the commercials on the radio, but it was kind of strange watching the commercial today on AMC at the gym staring available on cable and satellite but not on Dish, not sure why people who have a provider other then Dish need to know that......unless if they ever thought of switching??

Last edited:
It's just AMC trying to ramp up an ad campaign, to get people to switch or call and complain. Like I said earlier, they are going to feel it in their pocketbooks when they have to tell their advertisers, they no longer have access to Dishes 10 million or however many subscribers.

It's just AMC trying to ramp up an ad campaign, to get people to switch or call and complain. Like I said earlier, they are going to feel it in their pocketbooks when they have to tell their advertisers, they no longer have access to Dishes 10 million or however many subscribers.

Meanwhile Breaking Bad's 2nd episode drew more viewers than the average from last season. Pocketbooks are probably safe.

Day 27 of the Dish vs. AMC standoff: Where’s the subscriber revolt? — paidContent
As for AMC’s linear TV ratings — and by extension, its ad sales — losing access to Dish’s nearly 14 million homes has undoubtedly rendered a hit. Last Sunday, ratings for the “Madrigal” episode were down 21 percent from the prior week’s fifth-season-premiere, with only 2.3 million viewers tuning into the initial run of Breaking Bad.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/25/breaking-bad-ratings-2-2/
The ratings for Sunday night’s Breaking Bad dropped somewhat inexplicably. Breaking Bad delivered 2.3 million viewers, down 21 percent from the previous week’s fifth season debut.

Unrelated but still interesting:
AMC's 'The Killing' Cancelled After Two Seasons - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Meanwhile Breaking Bad's 2nd episode drew more viewers than the average from last season. Pocketbooks are probably safe.

And how many more viewers might they have, had they been offered on Dish too. There sure were a lot of people moaning about the loss and how it was highly rated must have tv. Apparently Dish was right and not many of Dish's customers were watching.

Finally found the ratings for Sunday. Breaking Bad was 5th for the night among cable TV shows (Same day ratings adults 24-54). Respectable, but not #1-.
True BloodHBOM9:02 PM44632.6
BREAKHBOM9:58 PM38352.0
KEEPING UP KARDASHIANSENT9:00 PM25351.4
FALLING SKIESTNT9:00 PM34491.2
Breaking BadAMC10:00 PM22941.2

As I've mentioned before in this very thread, all the press releases by networks show how their network or program is number 1 or doing better than before, but then they qualify the numbers. The press release said Breaking bad did better this year than last year (individual episode) which it did. But what the AMC press release didn't say was that Breaking Bad suffered the biggest ratings drop from one episode to the next ever for any of their series.

Well I for one watched on the roku via amazon and,it was a great episode.There's no doubt that being off of dish is hurting the ratings.

Hurting the ratings or not, they're doing fine. Down 21% from their record breaking debut for the series is not exactly unheard of.

The 'down inexplicably' is a nice out of context quote by the way. It's phrased like that because of how good they said the premiere was, and said that it's hard to see why someone would watch the first and not the second.

Ratings have yet to plummet, and neither has the anti-AMC spin apparently.

I'm sure AMC and Amazon/etc appreciate your direct contribution to their bottom lines though.

I would say a loss of more than 1 audience member in 5 from one week to the next qualifies a "plummet". If one in 5 people left a sold out theater, the story isn't, "Play sells out theater" the story is more than 1 in 5 people left the theater for unknown reasons.

Let's see what tonight (tomorrow's overnights) bring.

I would say a loss of more than 1 audience member in 5 from one week to the next qualifies a "plummet". If one in 5 people left a sold out theater, the story isn't, "Play sells out theater" the story is more than 1 in 5 people left the theater for unknown reasons.

Let's see what tonight (tomorrow's overnights) bring.

That sounds nice, but you guys have already moved the goal posts once, and are now trying to find some way to get people to ignore their record first night... then it was 'we'll see next week' and now 'we'll see next week' again...

The show started out the highest it's ever been, now it will settle into it's weekly viewership. No sign of 'plummeting' yet, in fact so far it's the series is doing better than ever.

If anything maybe they're getting a nice uptick in paid online viewings thanks to DISH subsidizing many people's introduction into instant video and alternatives to their service.

The latest episode is #1 in Movies & TV on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O2QA0K

Their record first night is a skewed sample because the program was opened up everyone on all media on the planet specifically to woo Dish subscribers. The second night is the "true" test of actual subscribers.

BTW, I think we need to settle some parameters here. I have never watched a single frame Breaking Bad and couldn't even tell you anything about it. I have nothing against the show. I have not watched more than a couple of hours of AMC (Mad Men series premier and second episode) since they went to a commercial format. I have no skin in this game. The point I am making is not that the series isn't good or no one watches it. That would be untrue. It is a popular series. But that is not what is being discussed here. The point is strictly about viewership impact of losing a distributor with 14 million potential households.

Breaking Bad had a series high rating of just under 3 Million households of 112 million US households on its first week of it's fifth season when the channel made the series available to everyone and distributed the series to everyone for free strictly to offset what could be a ratings hit because of the loss of 14 million potential households. AMC said that last part indirectly with this Over « Breaking Bad Live Stream

That number of viewers went down to just over 2 million in the second week when they did not have the freeviews. Coincidentally the number of direct purchases of the show shot up this week by about half that number. It's too early to draw conclusions about these numbers, but it would seem to show that the increase of IP purchases are up because viewers either chose not to watch on AMC or could not watch AMC. (for whatever reason)

If IP sales are up because of the number of people who could not watch AMC are buying the episode (many of Rokus provided by Dish), AMC is making out pretty well for this show because total audience may not have been as affected by Dish. But what about the other 167 in AMC's programming week? This is the point. Less viewership (for whatever reason) means less ad revenue.

I am interested in seeing network ratings for the month of July next week. When last we left AMC they were in 17th place. I forget the exact total viewership.

"Not so, says AMC's COO Ed Carroll. "The Walking Dead is a juggernaut not seen since The Sopranos. To anyone remotely paying attention, Dish's claim is absurd."
%21rolling.gif

What does that make Longmire on TNT, or Dallas? Super juggernauts? Rizzoli and Isles? Burn Notice? I can go on, all scripted all more viewers consistently.

Last edited:
Their record first night is a skewed sample because the program was opened up everyone on all media on the planet specifically to woo Dish subscribers. The second night is the "true" test of actual subscribers.

Was it to woo DISH subscribers, or was it a way to stick it to DISH? I think if they wanted to woo DISH subs, they would have offered it for free on Amazon & iTunes opposed to streaming it on their website.

"Not so, says AMC's COO Ed Carroll. "The Walking Dead is a juggernaut not seen since The Sopranos. To anyone remotely paying attention, Dish's claim is absurd."
%21rolling.gif

What does that make Longmire on TNT, or Dallas? Super juggernauts? Rizzoli and Isles? Burn Notice? I can go on, all scripted all more viewers consistently.

Walking Dead beats all of them in adults 18-49, which is what matters most.