Dish DVR 722- second time have had the audio go out then go to no picure... Tech says its the TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tkhaskell

Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
We just got the service and within 30 days we had this problem... we spent over 3 hours on the phone with technical support (resetting, changing HDMI cables, etc... ) and the end result was they sent us a new box... it also didn't seem to work; so, we had a tech come out... with some testing... he got it to work... and told us to just reset factory setting on TV if it happened again.

Well 30 more days went by and the audio went out and within an hour no picture.... Another tech came out... he says its our TV, so he's used the cables with the green, red, blue ends and says we are still getting HD, well barely... not nearly the quality of the HDMI... BUT I don't believe it my TV... we can have the unit running and plug the HDMI into the back of the DVR and our TV detects the signal and trys to switch over, but has a blank screen,...

HELP... anyone know what this can be... I'm definitely not an electronics person... BUT I'm supposed to be getting HD... and this picture is NOT HD quality.

It does sound like you might have a bad HDMI port on your TV. The red, blue, green cable is Component and DOES deliver HD, with virtually NO PQ difference from HDMI. You just need to make sure they are plugged into the coordinating jacks on the TV and receiver. Hopefully, the installer did not use the compoment cable to hook up to the composite jacks (yellow/video and red-white/audio). Remember, component only delivers video. Red and White composite are for audio.

There is virtually no difference in picture quality between HDMI or component (Red, blue and green connection). I vote with the tech, it's your TV.

What TV brand & model do you have ... and have you checked for any updates on their website? Most TV's these days have a port to connect to for "firmware" updates. The problem you're having with HDMI could be a bad port ... but it could also be HDCP or some other oddity coming through.

That the symptoms go away with component cables also suggests the same

If your using a properly connected component cable, you might need to adjust the Tvs picture settings to get a good HD picture.
Dan

Yes I have ran a cross a few TVs that did the same thing. I usually change the HDMI to composite and that takes care of the problem most of the time.

Well, then you are part of the problem. If you change from HDMI to composite, you are no longer in HD. You must change from HDMI to 'Component.'

Well, then you are part of the problem. If you change from HDMI to composite, you are no longer in HD. You must change from HDMI to 'Component.'

I think that's what he meant. Easy to exchange the two words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)