Dish dying or merging?

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
This is not an attempt to start a flame war. On dbstalk they are saying that ATT&T dropping Dish and going with Directv is a sign that Dish is on the ropes. I would love to see a healthy merge where we would all gain from more programing choices.
I considered going with dish when you guys had Voom but there was a tree issue. I'm still considering going with Dish when my contract is up with D* in Oct. Dish has CST (Cox Sports Tv) and D* does not. However I'm a bit skeptical since this is a yearly contract. CST has the NOLA Hornets and a ton of Louisiana college football etc... I would love to get that channel. I would not mind seeing a merge. Do you guys think this would happen?

It's been tried before

There were talks in the past about a merger. The SEC said no way. Unlikely that there will be a change from that stance now. It would be even less competition since there is no other sat co to compete. It was not enough that to have cable to compete with them. There were just too many areas that don't have access to cable. Then that would only leave 1 provider for those people.

This is not an attempt to start a flame war. On dbstalk they are saying that ATT&T dropping Dish and going with Directv is a sign that Dish is on the ropes. ...

Dish has over 13 million customers and plenty of money in the bank, they aren't going anywhere...

I don'y think they could get past Congress anyways, because of the whole monopoly issue.

Considering Congress has nothing to do with issues such as this, they can't say one way or another. The FCC might want to ahve a say though...

That's interesting, since it was the FCC who blocked the last attempt at a merger...

I'm not a fan boy of DirecTV. Been with them since 1997. I wouldn't mind a Dish takeover of DirecTV. I think it is dumb to have two services offering basically the same stuff. I would love a super dbs provider using the resources of both companies.

As far as the monopoly issue what about XMSirius?

I'm not a fan boy of DirecTV. Been with them since 1997. I wouldn't mind a Dish takeover of DirecTV. I think it is dumb to have two services offering basically the same stuff. I would love a super dbs provider using the resources of both companies.

As far as the monopoly issue what about XMSirius?
I would much rather have Direct take over Dish than the other way around. Direct has proven over and over to be much more successful and much better run.

I would much rather have Direct take over Dish than the other way around. Direct has proven over and over to be much more successful and much better run.

If there is any "take over" it is likely Charlie is doing it. This is his game he has been playing all his life, he initially wanted to "take over" DirecTV but was turned down by the FCC, lost $600M as a result. DirecTV would never take that risk. He also "took over" Sling and a few other tech companies, and is trying to "take over" Sirius right now.

His 5-year legal fight with TiVo is his way of not letting anyone taking him over, and he is on the verge of winning it. No one else in the history had gone as far as he has done. DirrecTV will do anything to avoid any risky move.

This is not an attempt to start a flame war. On dbstalk they are saying that ATT&T dropping Dish and going with Directv is a sign that Dish is on the ropes.
No, it's a sign that DirecTV gave AT&T a better offer. Knowing Charlie Ergen's history, that's just not surprising at all.
I would love to see a healthy merge where we would all gain from more programing choices.
Not gonna' happen.
I considered going with dish when you guys had Voom but there was a tree issue. I'm still considering going with Dish when my contract is up with D* in Oct.
Have you seen the Dish Eastern Arc program? This is a major technical advantage that E* has over D* at this point. Puts a lot of customers in the "eligible" column that weren't before. All MPEG-4 service from the South-Eastern sky on award-winning DVR hardware sounds good to me. Now if only Charlie could speed up those network contract negotiations a bit...

Nobody needs to forget Charlie gave Obama a LOT of money and free advertising. I think he owes Charlie a favor or two. I am not saying a merger will or won't happen. But CE does have someone on his side he did not have then.

Nobody needs to forget Charlie gave Obama a LOT of money and free advertising. I think he owes Charlie a favor or two. I am not saying a merger will or won't happen. But CE does have someone on his side he did not have then.

He offered same advertising to McCain, who declined.

No, it's a sign that DirecTV gave AT&T a better offer. Knowing Charlie Ergen's history, that's just not surprising at all.

Not gonna' happen.

Have you seen the Dish Eastern Arc program? This is a major technical advantage that E* has over D* at this point. Puts a lot of customers in the "eligible" column that weren't before. All MPEG-4 service from the South-Eastern sky on award-winning DVR hardware sounds good to me. Now if only Charlie could speed up those network contract negotiations a bit...

No. Tell me more about the Eastern Arch program. Like I said I might be switching next fall. I have a problem with the Southern view. 119 is hard for me to hit.

If you can't hit 119, you probably can't hit 129, either. The Eastern Arc (no H ;)) uses 61.5, 72.7, and 77 orbital locations to provide 100% MPEG4 service with HD. Lots of international stuff isn't available in EA, but if you're just looking for "standard cable + HD + HD locals," it's probably the way to go.

If you can't hit 119, you probably can't hit 129, either. The Eastern Arc (no H ;)) uses 61.5, 72.7, and 77 orbital locations to provide 100% MPEG4 service with HD. Lots of international stuff isn't available in EA, but if you're just looking for "standard cable + HD + HD locals," it's probably the way to go.

Where can I get a channel list from those sats? Never mind I just looked. They don't have my locals on there nor Cox Sports TV.

In time, the Eastern Arc will be a full mirror of the Western Arc (110/119/129), but not all services are on it right now. It's definitely something to keep an eye on, though. What's your zip code/local channel market?