Dish dying or merging?

I am wondering how come DirecTV is always bought by different company's. First News Corp and now Liberty Media but Dish Network is never bought out. It has always been its own company.

You are forgetting before News Corp bought DirecTV Dish Network tried to buy DirecTV...but was turned down by regulators.

He offered same advertising to McCain, who declined.

"Moving pictures from space? Madness! Space people can't vote. They aren't even white!

I could take that money and spend it on something tangible. Maybe cans of mustache wax with my name on it?"

In looking at monopolies (or potential monopolies), regulators look at industry concentration using the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index. The trick is getting the regulators to define what "industry" you are looking at. If you are looking at satellite providers, then you will get an HHI of 5,000 plus. But, if you look at the industry as television providers, you start to get more acceptable index numbers.

We also have to consider that Internet viewing is much more common (networks/Netflix/etc.) then it was back when E* wanted to merge with D*. That could tilt the field much as it did with XM/Sirius.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts