Dish dying or merging?

He offered same advertising to McCain, who declined.

Charlie's democratic leaning has been evident in the past, but no politics can over-rule a business decision when profit is the king, and a merger will not pass the anti-monopoly test even if Charlie can be invited to stay over in the White House every week:)

The only exception is if without a merger both will be out of the business (such as the Sirius and XM merger), which there is no indication of such happening at all.

Nobody needs to forget Charlie gave Obama a LOT of money and free advertising. I think he owes Charlie a favor or two. I am not saying a merger will or won't happen. But CE does have someone on his side he did not have then.

And Direct ran the same "Obama Channel" as well. Hell of a try there tho sparky! :rolleyes:

I think neither one.. Most all providers are hurting right now but I think in the long run most will be fine..

I'm not a fan boy of DirecTV. Been with them since 1997. I wouldn't mind a Dish takeover of DirecTV. I think it is dumb to have two services offering basically the same stuff. I would love a super dbs provider using the resources of both companies.

As far as the monopoly issue what about XMSirius?
So, should there just be McDonalds and all the other fast food burger joints go away?

I am wondering how come DirecTV is always bought by different company's. First News Corp and now Liberty Media but Dish Network is never bought out. It has always been its own company.

Because Charlie alone has the controlling stake in Dish Network and he did not put it up for sale.

I'm not a fan boy of DirecTV. Been with them since 1997. I wouldn't mind a Dish takeover of DirecTV. I think it is dumb to have two services offering basically the same stuff. I would love a super dbs provider using the resources of both companies.

As far as the monopoly issue what about XMSirius?

And hows that working out? Prices just got raised.

The merger that I think would be really interesting would be Dish Network and Sprint / Nextel. That would form a new company that compete with AT&T and Verizon, as well as Comcast and Cox. I think that one of the big disadvantages for the two satellite television companies these days is that they are competing against bundled packages. Same thing for Sprint, they are only a mobile phone company.

Dish Network and Sprint merged together would have a more solid product offering and they may possibly be better able to offer a High Speed Internet product as well. I don't know enough about Sprint's network to say that for sure, but it may get them closer than they are now.

They would never get a merger past the SEC. XM sirius is a different matter because both were bleeding money and now the one i still bleeding money. Their competition was each other and all of the other ways that you could get music in your car. I just got a blackberry and loaded my itunes playlist and turned XM off after being a subscriber for over four and a half years.

No, it's a sign that DirecTV gave AT&T a better offer. Knowing Charlie Ergen's history, that's just not surprising at all.

Not gonna' happen.

Have you seen the Dish Eastern Arc program? This is a major technical advantage that E* has over D* at this point. Puts a lot of customers in the "eligible" column that weren't before. All MPEG-4 service from the South-Eastern sky on award-winning DVR hardware sounds good to me. Now if only Charlie could speed up those network contract negotiations a bit...
How is that an advantage? Using twice as much equipment on both sides of the US as opposed to half as much in the middle of the US is an advantage?

I think neither one.. Most all providers are hurting right now but I think in the long run most will be fine..
They are? Direct just had one of their best quarters in the last few years and FiOS is booming. The only FEW that are hurting are SOME cable companies in some markets and MAYBE Dish (I would not say they are hurting, they just slowed down).

How is that an advantage? Using twice as much equipment on both sides of the US as opposed to half as much in the middle of the US is an advantage?

Let's not forget before the anti trust law ATT had the most "efficient use of resources" in the phone business, because it was the only company doing it, and let's also not forget how the anti trust law came about and broke ATT into several companies.

There is a trade off between "letting the company have the most efficient use of resources" v. the negative impact to the consumers by a monopoly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)