Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
MPEG-2 NEW CUSTOMER SALES, ACTIVATION TO END LATER THIS YEAR

At DISH, we believe we produce the best technology in the pay-TV industry. In order to continue offering our customers the most advanced technology at the best price, we must continue not only to innovate, but also to recognize when it’s time to eliminate old technology from our portfolio.

As a result, DISH will end the sale and exchange of all MPEG-2 receivers beginning on July 1, 2016.

MPEG-2 receiver models:
? 311 ? 311k ? 322 ? 381 ? 811 ? 512 ? 625 ? 522

Slowly working toward converting the WA to MPEG4? Maybe they can do it by turning off premium channels first, then those exclusive to AT250 and so on. I am sure it will take a number of years to complete. I am surprised it has taken them this long.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'd guess with the flat or declining pay tv market, they must have plenty of MPEG4 boxes being returned which can be recycled into the western arc.

so does that mean that dish is making more room for folks on the western arc to get more hd channels just wondering you guys?just asking a good question?

Interesting move, though not really unexpected. In fact, as was mentioned above, it's surprising they took this long to make that move. I had an 811, but that was a really long time ago. I had a 622 for a number of years, and now have a 722 and a 211...so looks like I'm set for MPEG-2 to go away...

Reactions: Yespage
I'd guess with the flat or declining pay tv market, they must have plenty of MPEG4 boxes being returned which can be recycled into the western arc.
That's a good point, additionally I suspect that they have a plan to go all MPEG4 which is the real driving force. They'll need the extra space that the additional compression can provide to offer any 4K content that comes down the pipe (ESPN, etc...). Also it wouldn't hurt for them to top off their HD offerings as well.

Well that explains why Dish replaced my 2 311`s with 211z recievers when they come to replace my 8 yr old 722 receiver last week and moved me to the eastern arc
Well, not really, they moved you to Eastern arc, because more than likely that's where your HD locals come from or your DMA was moved to EA and you got 211's because Eastern arc is mpeg4 only.
Really had nothing to do with what's being talked about here.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The question is when will they end the activations for these receivers? I still have a few 311's left and a 322 that I will want to sell off before they become bricks.

Reactions: vcsatellite
The question is when will they end the activations for these receivers? I still have a few 311's left and a 322 that I will want to sell off before they become bricks.
As a result, DISH will end the sale and exchange of all MPEG-2 receivers beginning on July 1, 2016.

Yeah, I have to admit it seems like a waste of money, that they just upgraded me to an 8PSK MPEG-2 311, and now we're doing another round.

They won't be going to all MPEG4 at WA anytime real soon, IMHO. This just ends the sale and exchange by July 1, and then "Activation to end later this year." IMHO this is more of a software cost issue. I mean, it is probably more economical to focus software engineers on MPEG 4 boxes only with even less staff and cost and monitoring of MPEG2 boxes. From what is stated in the press release, this will take some time. Now all those software coders going to the new building in downtown Denver can focus on MPEG4 and SlingTV and whatever new media box/streamer Dish may surprise us with. It makes sense to just stop supporting MPEG2 boxes.

FWIW, I think Dish should have the H3 as the ONLY box for all new subs and eventually have that be the standard/only box/system for all installs. Everyone would get the best Dish experience and it could result in less churn than ever and actually result in a net gain of subscribers.

Reactions: osu1991
They won't be going to all MPEG4 at WA anytime real soon, IMHO. This just ends the sale and exchange by July 1, and then "Activation to end later this year." IMHO this is more of a software cost issue. I mean, it is probably more economical to focus software engineers on MPEG 4 boxes only with even less staff and cost and monitoring of MPEG2 boxes. From what is stated in the press release, this will take some time. Now all those software coders going to the new building in downtown Denver can focus on MPEG4 and SlingTV and whatever new media box/streamer Dish may surprise us with. It makes sense to just stop supporting MPEG2 boxes.

FWIW, I think Dish should have the H3 as the ONLY box for all new subs and eventually have that be the standard/only box/system for all installs. Everyone would get the best Dish experience and it could result in less churn than ever and actually result in a net gain of subscribers.
Problem with that is now you are forcing DVR on everyone, with an additional fee with no non DVR option.
That would sink dish fast.
Nothing wrong with the VIP solos or Wallys.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts