DISH Enters Deal with ROKU

That's always the stupidest argument one can make.
A. "Hater" are often no such thing. They are people who are pointing out negative facts, or negative opinions based on fact. Sorry if those facts get in the way of your opinions.
B. Offer a reasonable rebuttal to the haters' hate, if they truly aren't making a convincing argument.

Haters gonna hate ^

Nope. My analogy is completely correct. In this case, Dish is the content provider just as the NFL is with Sunday Ticket, and Roku is the distributor of that content just as DirecTV is with Sunday Ticket. Dish limiting all International content on Roku to that provided only by Dish is EXACTLY the same as if the NFL were to limit all sports programming on DirecTV to that provided only by the NFL. Pretty simple. Apples to apples.

Your comparison of what DirecTv is currently doing with Sunday Ticket is a totally incorrect analogy to the Roku/Dish deal. Your example is better compared to TV Japan being available exclusively via satellite on Dish. I don't think anybody objects to those sorts of exclusive deals, at least not on a moral or ethical level, even if they find it annoying or inconvenient. (Myself being one of those annoyed by the latter.)

The divergence of opinion towards DirecTV and Dish regarding Sunday Ticket and Roku, respectively, is because they are not analogous.

Troll alert. Somebody's always gotta be right. Thats the internet for you.

So... Some people think Dish is to blame for destroying Roku because Dish is evil and they destroy things.

But others think Roku is to blame because they should have KNOWN Dish is evil. Everyone already KNOWS Dish is evil. It's like being mad at Satan for being bad, so how can you blame Dish? Dish was born that way, so blame Roku, they had a choice!

Does that pretty much sum it up? If so, I can't disagree with anyone.

At the end of the day, these channels are streaming for free over the net as someone else mentioned. The only way to stop whoever you feel is at fault is to not pay for Dish's international service. I won't. To me this is like TuneIn and Apple having a deal to have TuneIn be the exclusive radio station provider on the iPhone and charging a monthly subscription fee. I'd tell them to screw. Just like in this case I'm telling Dish and Roku to screw. I'll find the streams on my laptop and just hook that via HDMI into my tv and get what I was watching through that. Doing it through the Roku was just easy and quicker. I'll take the extra five minutes to do it the laptop way.

dangue said:
The ability to get Sunday ticket through any other provider. I don't know the history of Sunday ticket, was it ever non exclusive?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It was available on C band and Direct tv before it went ecclusive

At the end of the day, these channels are streaming for free over the net as someone else mentioned. The only way to stop whoever you feel is at fault is to not pay for Dish's international service. I won't. To me this is like TuneIn and Apple having a deal to have TuneIn be the exclusive radio station provider on the iPhone and charging a monthly subscription fee. I'd tell them to screw. Just like in this case I'm telling Dish and Roku to screw. I'll find the streams on my laptop and just hook that via HDMI into my tv and get what I was watching through that. Doing it through the Roku was just easy and quicker. I'll take the extra five minutes to do it the laptop way.

That's basically the best thing to do. These deals happen all the time and that's always been the history of business. You will find the content you want from somewhere else for free and be happy. Don't be surprised though when that new site you find gets very popular and companies like Dish and Direct find out. If they are threatened by that site they will do the same thing that just happened with Roku. Guessing that the site would be similar to Roku and love to make more money, they sell out and you are left in the same position. It's like a cycle.

The thing that stinks here is that I know many people who use a Roku (not Roku 2) for foreign channels these people will lose their channels because of DISH and can't even subscribe to DISH WORLD as DISH WORLD requires a newer ROKU 2 box.

Maybe the best media streamer which can get almost anything is a PC. Someone needs to make a ROKU style easy to use front end for the PC that does not need a PHD to install. A big part of ROKUs success is its ease of use.

As of this morning some channels are not working like Euronews but lots of other foreign channels are up and running. May be in near future those will be gone too... enjoy it as long it lasts...

Damn, do you never stop??

I feel sorry for your customers, because you seem to have NO sense of empathy for consumers.

Man, I didn't realize you had such an issue with me. I'm not trying to be a hard-ass I'm just trying to help people think about it from both sides. I have empathy for customers that truly have a problem. I do not have that much empathy for people that always feel sorry for themselves and complain that they're being screwed over. It just doesn't do anyone any good and seems to waste everyone's time.

I sell Dish, TV's and appliances so I hear complaints on all kinds of products. After dealing with customers for so long and seeing different problems and complaints I've found that some people have serious problems and they need help. The other people just like to complain or feel entitled to what ever they want. Now, just because that's how I personally feel doesn't mean that's how I treat them. I have to treat them all equally and act as if their current issue is the most important issue there is at the time. Remember, the customer is always right. :D

Damn, do you never stop??

I feel sorry for your customers, because you seem to have NO sense of empathy for consumers.

I just don't get why it's greed, not a business decision. EuroNews is a great example. Dish sells EuroNews, and has built up international subscriptions I believe more than any other carrier, and they see competition giving it away for free, and no question illegally with EuroNews, I am not as sure but suspect with some other streams. So in this case they decided to buy out that portion of the Roku business to protect their investments rather than stand by and let it be given illegally and free.
I'm not happy if I lose the channels on Roku at all. But it's not a matter of blame, greed, or empathy. If Dish was the only game in town you would have a point, but every cable company, Direct TV, and yes, the Internet are competitors.

Now here's where I can agree with you somewhat. If Dish does not allow streams that are readily available without Roku, that are intended to be free, that makes no sense. They want Roku to succeed, why make people go somewhere else for those. But ending illegal streams may not insure they won't show up elsewhere, but Roku was the king of them. So far it appears the international news channels I watch (other than EuroNews) are still there. I will note France 24 English, a channel Dish does carry has never loaded well on Roku via livestation, and still does not, but that has been ongoing.

I just don't get why it's greed, not a business decision. EuroNews is a great example. Dish sells EuroNews, and has built up international subscriptions I believe more than any other carrier, and they see competition giving it away for free, and no question illegally with EuroNews, I am not as sure but suspect with some other streams. So in this case they decided to buy out that portion of the Roku business to protect their investments rather than stand by and let it be given illegally and free.
I'm not happy if I lose the channels on Roku at all. But it's not a matter of blame, greed, or empathy. If Dish was the only game in town you would have a point, but every cable company, Direct TV, and yes, the Internet are competitors.

Now here's where I can agree with you somewhat. If Dish does not allow streams that are readily available without Roku, that are intended to be free, that makes no sense. They want Roku to succeed, why make people go somewhere else for those. But ending illegal streams may not insure they won't show up elsewhere, but Roku was the king of them. So far it appears the international news channels I watch (other than EuroNews) are still there. I will note France 24 English, a channel Dish does carry has never loaded well on Roku via livestation, and still does not, but that has been ongoing.

At least someone understands the point I was trying to make. I completely agree with your post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)