Dish Execs take a pay cut...

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
People: True to form, Charlie Ergen cut his own and other DISH Network exec pay as the business struggled last year. Ergen's 2010 compensation dipped 20% from the year earlier to just under $800K; EVP/COO Barnard Han took the biggest cut, -73%, as his total fell to $455.5K.

MediaBiz

Jeeze, poor guys!:coffee Maybe we could take up a collection for 'em?:rolleyes:

Ed

Yeah they still get paid huge sums of money and have some really large stock options. But at least they're taking somewhat of a paycut and showing a degree of responsibility. Seems that a lot of execs in various companies continue to take large payouts even if their company is doing poorly.

As his techs and other employees are getting a nice chunk of profit sharing and raises.

Trying to take care of the small guy will pay off.

Let's not forget offering some very competitive pricing to customers and exceeding customer satisfaction.

Thank you, Sir.

i really dont know what id do if i was forced to live on 400,000 a year, i guess id maybe i could eat more bologna.

actually though im impressed, more than i can say for the politicians who got us in this mess.
maybe they too should think about tightening the belt.

i have. you have, we all have except them and the cronies int the circle of greed.

just noticed this is my first post, maybe i should have went to the lobby and introduced myself (like years ago) :D

As his techs and other employees are getting a nice chunk of profit sharing and raises.

Trying to take care of the small guy will pay off.

Let's not forget offering some very competitive pricing to customers and exceeding customer satisfaction.

Thank you, Sir.

I agree. Credit where credit is due. I got a decent raise this year, and the profit sharing. I'm happy.

Dish executive salaries are nowhere near the industry standard as it is a small company, but it makes up for it by providing stock in the company to the top execs and that is where the execs get the real compensation, not the salaries, but even those cash-outs still leave the execs well behind their counterparts at DirectTV or any of the other mega-media conglomerates with whom they compete. The real execs pay is in the stock portfolio, not the salaries that are chump change compared to the cash-out the are allowed only a few short periods. Dish couldn't get some of the people they have without the stock compensation, but it also explains why Dish can't get the best out there. Even if Chase Carey were available, Dish salary and stock compensations are not even near enough to lure his kind of talent and skill. Dish has to get by with those who are drawn to Dish for its potential growth, challenges, and somewhat loose corporate culture compared to much bigger companies.

I can't speak for Barnard Han, but Charlie can take pay cuts all day long. When you own 51% of the company, and you got millions of dollars what difference does it make if Charlie takes a check or not? He is paying himself with his own money.

If I know Charlie, he probably dropped his pay so he could be in a lower tax bracket. There is no point in paying yourself if you don't need the money and are just going to pay taxes on the money you earn/

This is all my fault. I should have know a few months ago when they ask for another 5 dollars a month from me that they were not kidding and really needed it. Instead of giving them another $5 though they irked me with the request. I instead cut my bill by over $40 a month by upgrading to a 922 and getting free HD, Canceling HBO, the platinum pack, and service plan and swapping a second duo dvr for a single.

I can't speak for Barnard Han, but Charlie can take pay cuts all day long. When you own 51% of the company, and you got millions of dollars what difference does it make if Charlie takes a check or not? He is paying himself with his own money.

If I know Charlie, he probably dropped his pay so he could be in a lower tax bracket. There is no point in paying yourself if you don't need the money and are just going to pay taxes on the money you earn/

"millions of dollars"? -- Charlie has a net worth of $7 BILLION -- or $7,000 million if my math is right. He has to take a much bigger cut to get to a lower tax bracket. His pay is .011% of his net worth -- hardly even pocket change...

I think what you have here is the age old practice of putting good press out there for the masses to consume.

+1 And Dish salaries are a pittance for comparable positions at the competition. In the case of Dish, it is the stock cash outs that really pay for the Dish execs, so it is great for publicity to say the exec salaries cut.

Maybe the executive team should look inward as to what decisions they are making causing long term churn and shrikage of subs while D is growing all in the same economic situation??????

Perhaps they earned the pay cut?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)