Locals opt-out?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brussam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I have run into a claim on another forum that you can opt-out the Locals for $5 a month as an undocumented feature. When I renewed my subscription early 2010 for an upgrade, I was told that was not an option. I don't need Locals as I use DNS.

Has the epolicy changed and Locals can be opted-out?

Last edited:
Locals are included in the programming now, and can't be removed once they're on the account. Some customers do not have locals (either because they weren't available in the area at the time, or by choice), but these customers were grandfathered. If they make any programming changes, the locals will be put on the account.

Locals are included in the programming now, and can't be removed once they're on the account. Some customers do not have locals (either because they weren't available in the area at the time, or by choice), but these customers were grandfathered. If they make any programming changes, the locals will be put on the account.

What if you were forced to go to a different package from HD Absolute? I don't need locals, I get them OTA.

I am in the virgin islands, we have no networks at all. when will they be available and even better when will we get them in HD

I have run into a claim on another forum that you can opt-out the Locals for $5 a month as an undocumented feature.

Has the epolicy changed and Locals can be opted-out?

I'm glad I get my locals in addition to mu OTA feeds. That way, if I want to record something from them, I select the Dish feed. That way TV1 is still available for viewing or I can record a 2nd local feed.

And, above all, you get channel info on the OTA channels. It makes the DVR work properly on OTA.....

I'm not sure about that. I live between Rochester and Syracuse NY. My locals on Dish are Rochester. On the guide I also get full info on the Syracuse OTA stations inculding all the sub channels..

Why complain about something you do not pay extra for if you do not want the dish locals set up a favorites list and dont add them.

It used to be an option to not have locals, and not pay for them. I guess for new subs or normal upgrades that they are required, but I was forced out of HD Absolute. BTW, not all locals are carried by satellite companies, only those they have carriage agreements with.

And, above all, you get channel info on the OTA channels. It makes the DVR work properly on OTA.....

I'm not sure about that. I live between Rochester and Syracuse NY. My locals on Dish are Rochester. On the guide I also get full info on the Syracuse OTA stations inculding all the sub channels..

If you sub to any locals package you will receive guide data for any locals you receive OTA whether they are in your DMA or not. If you don't subscribe to a locals package you will receive no guide data at all with OTA.

It used to be an option to not have locals, and not pay for them. I guess for new subs or normal upgrades that they are required, but I was forced out of HD Absolute. BTW, not all locals are carried by satellite companies, only those they have carriage agreements with.

I agree with you. I do not think you should be forced into locals just because you would like to change packages. (At the very least not when upgrading package.) I do understand that for some people OTA is not an option. But as for me, I installed a towered OTA system years ago where i can view channels from 3 DMA's. So i told the wife we would have to stay with at200 when she wanted to upgrade to the 250 package for a couple of new channels.

I'm happy to get my locals over Dish in addition to ota. There often are times when I want to record more than 1 local channel at the same time. Since I have a 722 I can only record 1 ota feed at a time. This is especially true for PBS. We receive 2 PBS stations and they do not always carry the same programing

It has to do with revenue. The local stations make money as does Dish especially when you MUST subscribe to locals. That's the ORIGINAL cable TV model.

Until recently, the DBS providers did not have satellite capacity to handle it. So, locals were optional.

It's all about the money.

Nothing is included for FREE.

I don't like it either here in Houston when I have to use an antenna anyhow to get the digital subchannels. I could be saving $5 but it is what it is.

Dish is the best option for me as they have lower prices than any of the other three available here: UVerse, Directv or Comcrap.

Why complain about something you do not pay extra for if you do not want the dish locals set up a favorites list and dont add them.

Yes, you're paying extra for them. $5 IIRC. I don't have locals on satellite. I'm quite happy with OTA. But if I change my package, I'll have to accept locals and that will add the $5 to my monthly bill.

If you sub to any locals package you will receive guide data for any locals you receive OTA whether they are in your DMA or not. If you don't subscribe to a locals package you will receive no guide data at all with OTA.

Are you saying that if I sub'd to locals, I'd get guide data to the subchannels that Dish does not provide? And the channels we have here near DC that Dish does not provide? And that if I clicked on such a listing in the EPG, the DVR will see that it isn't available on Dish and will record the program from OTA?

I'm one of those with a grandfathered no-locals package. I was more or less forced by another provider (Comcast) to get their local TV package when signing up for internet. I get many more channels (around 40) than I would with DISH locals. I think it was much more consumer friendly to be able to opt out of locals if you wished. But I'm sure it's easier for DISH to market the packages without having separate prices for including/not including locals.

When I was forced to change from the Absolute package, I went to the Welcome package. I did not have to get the locals at that time-and I would not want them either. I get them, including the subcarrier channels (2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc) with the channel data FTA :). I told DISH at the time that I did not want them so I'm paying $9.99 instead of the $14.99. :D

I was planing on possibly increasing my programming if Dish made further changes to the HD packages. But I just do not want to pay for my locals when I do not have to nor want to.:mad:

Looks like I'll just stay where I am with the programming and they will have to make some major changes for me to move into some other programming package. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)